SOLD FS/Trade 1991 HDJ81 3X Locked, 200kms in Salmon ID. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(91, 137, 159)
Since I’ve decided that I’m going to build out my 3500 for a Baja rig and the LC has been relegated to commuter duties, I’d prefer to have a 100/470 or 4Runner instead. If you have one of those that I might be interested in let’s talk. Or cash sale and I’ll find my own.

I picked it up from a seller In Kalispell MT several years ago. LC had been imported into BC, and then the US. PO had completed a good baseline, and a few of the upgrades to the LC.

1. New Paint (I’d consider it a 20’ paint job,) it’s by no means a factory spray and you can see defects if you look closely at it, i.e. small runs & bubbles. He also spraylined a lot of the trim which has been dulled by UV’s.
  2. I think he had the whole undercarriage cleaned and sprayed, and from the pics you can see what kind of shape that it is in.
  3. BEB’s were done.
  4. Birf’s were rebuilt.
  5. He had installed the roof rack, front bumper, OMU springs/shocks (not sure what level), and the wheels and tires.
  6. He installed a new radiator.
  7. Apple CarPlay head unit.
  8. LED interior lighting.
When I got the LC I started my own upgrades which included;
  1. 4x4 Labs rear bumper w/ladder and tire carrier.
  2. Matching spare.
  3. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.
  4. Smittybuilt 10K (I think) winch.
  5. Donbinson’s rear drawers w/fridge slider.
  6. Replaced or repaired missing trim pieces.
  7. Dash cover.
  8. New AGM batteries.
When I bought the LC I did a quick test drive and checked out most everything that I could think of at the time when I was assured that “everything worked,” but there were a few things that don’t.
  1. A/C doesn’t have a charge. Compressor is good, but no cold air. Never an issue w/me in Salmon ID. That means that the console fridge/ice maker doesn’t as well.
  2. Rear window sprayed and defroster were not connected back up after the paint job and the hose to the rear sprayed is down in the rear quarter panel and a PITA to get to to try and reconnect.
  3. Compass will never points you in the right direction. Luckily the head unit displays the apple map when connected, so I haven’t gotten lost due the poor direction! I’ve tried to recalibrate it but just can’t seem to get the gyros to listen to me.
  4. The passenger side lock doesn’t want to work w/the key and the rear hatch is finicky. All the electric locks do work though. Only have one key.
  5. Windows can be slow in the cold.
Here’s the cons.
  1. Paint is screwed up on the hood. I stayed at an RV park for a summer and left it parked in the nice shade while I went on a river trip for a week. Well in that time the cottonwoods dropped all of their insanely sticky leaf ends all over everything I had! You can see the lighter spots in the pictures. A paint guy may be able to polish them out, but I never dealt with it. I do have a matte black center hood vinyl cover for it that covers mostly all of the hood.
  2. She’s smoky at startup and idling. I don’t think it’s the injectors, I think that it’s the crankcase vent putting oil into the turbo. I have a catch can system to install for it but need a sheet metal fabricator to make a mounting bracket for it.
  3. Trans gets hot if you push it on steep mountain passes. First time I crossed into MT over the pass I was running her a little hard and the idiot light came on. I didn’t overheat the trans, fluid is still bright red (gotta love Toyota’s.) IH8Mud forums say that HDJ’s were notorious for this as they weren’t spec’d w/tranny coolers like NA vehicles. I have a really oversized cooler for install, but once again need a fabricator to build a proper bracket cause I won’t simply install it through the radiator. Or a FJ80 cooler will bolt right up........which is what I should have done in hindsight, but I wanted the max cooling.
  4. Title is branded. Previous owner left out that little detail until I had made all the arrangements to inspect/pickup. I believe he hit a deer, (I think that’s when he started modifying it.) I think it was a left front hit, but I can’t find any indication of damage. Radiator support is straight, inner fender looks fine, about all I see is two of the plastic battery brackets are broken.
  5. Rear bumper is starting to show some rust, their powder coating isn’t the best and has flaked off in a couple of places.
  6. The starter is rebuilt and I have a brand new spare 12/24VDC OEM combining relay. The starter contacts stuck on me one day and I furiously pulled the relay wires off to stop it from grinding. I rebuilt the starter w/factory parts and then troubleshot the LC wiring for a couple of months because it would NOT start! After wringing out damn near every wire in the harness and replace several unnecessary components, I found out that I put ONE wire on incorrectly on the combining relay and a 12VDC wire wasn’t sending the signal to the starter system to start w/the key. I guess that not really a con......
That’s about it in a nutshell, let me know what other questions you have and I’ll be happy to answer them.

25k.

2F7E6C52-21F8-423A-8A54-927B244D6572.jpeg

0487D607-746A-4EE5-99D3-934E3DBE8F42.jpeg

F7A12540-6BFF-4DC4-967E-477AE3391AC1.jpeg

462795CA-DAE5-4EED-A8BD-856B4F569185.jpeg

E5BF6748-6CA1-4877-A128-34EBE2CC31AA.jpeg

Any interest in an Fj Cruiser?

Nice! I'm an interested buyer, as soon as my FJ sells.

Haven't you always wanted to own your very own Sooty? Here's your chance!

I've knocked the insurance down to "storage" w/USAA, as I'm no longer driving it and hate seeing it just sit. Rather just having it sit whilst I continue to add items to my multitude of online carts for parts for the Hundy, lets go ahead and get crazy, 20K for a mudder, so I don't have to deal w/CL/FB Marketplace etc.

VERY cold start video and running video take this morning (1/27/22). The Cruiser also had not been plugged in, so it was thoroughly cold soaked. Take your motion sickness meds, cause I'm obviously no cinematographer!

Last edited:
I have a 4th gen v8 4Runner sport if you are still looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom