Front tire blowout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TCEd

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone experience a front tire blowout/sudden flat and how did the 40 handle at speed ? I'm guessing it wants to roll over and/or swap ends. ed

Mine happened probably 15 years ago in Norther California. The truck in front of me lost part of its load. Needless to say these things don't stop or steer too quickly so i ended up running over some of it and it punctured my front drivers side tire. It went down quickly but wasn't as bad as I expected. I was running around 55-60 and it started pulling hard to the driver side but it wasnt crazy. I hit the brakes and got pulled over. I wouldn't want to try it again, if my speed were higher or if I were running a taller tire it could have ended much worse.

Back then it was running on 31.x10.50x15, now its running on 35"s and I would me quite a bit more worried about rolling over.

is it a lifted 40? higher centre of gravity will obviously make it worse on a short wheel base vehicle.

i had a front wheel come right off once city driving. mine had a shackle reversal and 2.5 inch lift with 33s. the rotor hit the ground but didn’t feel like it was going to tip. the wheel went flying and thankfully didn’t kill anyone. just hit a dumpster. highway speed would be different though i’d think. it’s a weird feeling but the truck actually weathered it quite well

had a right front blowout at highway speed back in 1988, 60-62mph, 1979 40 series, didn't seem to bother me much , slowed down, got onto the shoulder. I was running 31 10.5 15's, for the old timers, the tire was a Dick Cepek Fun Country, replaced all 4 with Armstrong Norseman.
that's when I realized you should check the air in the spare once in a while, drove for 15 miles to the next exit on 15psi.

Right rear blew out while the truck was being flat-towed to my house. Shredded rubber took out the auxiliary fuel tank's filler, and bent up rusty quarter panel in the process. I'm restoring it now, and need to incorporate some kind of shield for that exposed filler tube in the wheel well.

IMG_6072.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom