Front suspension spacers/levelling kit, do they work with the GX470? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The swing arm Strut to wheel motion ratio is close 1:2
So 1" spacer will yield around 2" lift

@DRANGED do you know how thick your spacer is? (Edit: I looked it up, yours is 3/4") I remember it gained a total of 1.5 inches in height, but how thick was the spacer itself? There is a pair locally for $25. Want to make sure it's not for a 2" lift..... As 2" seems to be prevalent, seller thinks it's for a 1.5" lift. I want to make sure. Thanks.

Seller says it's 1" thick. @Jstawgn , would that increase total lift over 1.5 inches? I just want a little more clearance up front - don't want to stress anything too much. Mostly my wife's DD, sees occasional off-road camping excursions, no 'heavy' Wheeling. . .??. would 2" be too much?
1" think would get 2" lift.

The geometry is such that spacer thickness is 50% front lift gained.
Reread the thread, somewhere I here Is a pic that shows how that geometry works out.

A 1" thick spacer will lift the front 2". IMO that's too much for a GX.

Best and good luck.

1" think would get 2" lift.

The geometry is such that spacer thickness is 50% front lift gained.
Reread the thread, somewhere I here Is a pic that shows how that geometry works out.

A 1" thick spacer will lift the front 2". IMO that's too much for a GX.

Best and good luck.
thought so, I'll pass on these, was hoping to pick up locally and then have shop place them while its in for work.

Nope. Rides like stock but front end is up off the ground more.

I drive it conservatively RE: compression. I've gotten feedback the stock shocks have built-in safety such that a spacer this small wouldn't override internal.safety, but I'm still cautious.

On haven't ride isn't affected as these are NOT preload spacers, and factory shock.dampening adjustment is retained. Off-road there's more front end clearance and I don't think I have reduced up or down travel....
Thanks for the feed back. Just to clarify did your installer need to modify the bracket for the shock dampening control module? Planning on doing this job soon and wanted to estimate the time needed.

Thanks for the feed back. Just to clarify did your installer need to modify the bracket for the shock dampening control module? Planning on doing this job soon and wanted to estimate the time needed.

My tech said it was straight forward, plenty of room to remount the shock control module in situ. I had read that some people had to rotate the module 180 degrees (these were with bigger spacers), but that was not the case for me. Here are pix of stock and the spacer-installed each shows the shock dampening module mounted the same.

27fYwUaCyA21xDkuE794WgdrdlvZ5QzdvUjHPv8IZa69jIvBSOc9A9q7wKEuidqUrWt0omVOZ9P35hU-vA19kTwP4oquIACM-wsQ1PK6-i4spr7LXlCNP5YqrynmLU5Bvh9091RyNLOLB7gLo85F0aFNX2BoOQdBQacYnp32afx8Jy2oHaRp-1jBYK-KVnmpWMQy1G4hKNfHQxVqiHPMW-vut6UpHioTws34600X9z47o9LWr5UkEVQ4IBa3TXLqCnhlzmuFFpIM21kDx0MLAwYZxc5IWtxeQ1PIdIxxoD8wFK0dIup61VAcohr6B-ZBUARgmg5EsP4fN6ZoQD0yxtYo5j7zuIEU4q-67Aul5N-M8PQF_8rV9-Gz_JcR-ryUFx07pbmlqbDgauWtymgU7dssTK2rH8nvVqJML0R3MB5Zth-1uSDbvO_RQ4nTbKtrzM_1ShY8Q0GyflyatFH9w1SuR3ea0FLjwf3RdqtjKO3ycnKUOPDUSw8dyqX-6KvOgMqmhVNZ13fKwEFDH8fyRDu9KwNHRtflJXgpJGGx8Bj110FiLi8crxlwU61Ko37HrS_Hy86Yr49Q5vj3J3PUQ1CkDbgjviOb-HXdcC9W5Uja3dMKWy6rgbN5DvkKF0QFxq-iRuCsndsnahyrVBM_0ZAmvi_TcjU-VNmrG4I0h8ub0XI0xeQgVc7lobpy7eFMTD0XyBH14GQMBa1TEHk=w1251-h939-no
TsZ6fhV6OSdkwNnz4pzIAoIFV7S0l3EhSDPpclmfS8unPCgqkgv3WXMZufulfXTvM1mXof_r8rN-cwJVPDbhU2Xv5JymcwAiMDo1XSmnpLWIiHPwiJTRIYIgmtYzDzHU7XcJme7XnKMC-shxlzugIn2ykFdelgQMzHQADtj8CBSubjPvDviPJ-C-MXWLCSoQWfkuAaKBrIiXQ8zeeLJwtnEUO7CXerIW5eyj_THSi2dMzqF5oqcBKF80_HkoSWS6T0g_QFbx82QYmFWKN3sbdMjAkeyQEHH5_GQFx_8gbts7Bvm_LjEXiwm_z7SOjNdgjKFmzXwq0_L73jrImTgUdZKkeFhJZnzC_CyXxeRroY4lypUSFqBmmIfOghD8BwuXo3KQxkHfMvActTuNfcA2kcvJyfo90Aac3N7nmKs4WY334xURnJKulZlfsnJqOnkAIWSLiI4TWPkSB0_gd-NTGAYCKC9hvnJMrLBXJ0sHxKEOJTAuzVs2xNXqqSV_-dcYY2oDWNOvFZrzjU1tfbjGVcDdcIq830iaoJs2iKZ03-25nPonv5XxtT_U58h8Xpax7IXq-UfrE-lkelA8SK6o6MR1B4ihDQpgQl23ExR4fNjo83-v4fRe3oIORhsz70Ky1Xf-IcpvWyXtEPsfyjufdg9oYaMqfrHyaPV0Q5ZzrGtDlkDGdrOY95g4f7qf-KnByCKHHb10TuOd8_Yqt5w=w1251-h939-no

Was towed today to shop :( slid off snowy road. I called shop to see if they could install in the process of correcting the misalignment. No need to align the truck twice.... "We don't do that". Maybe I was hasty in choosing a shop? I mean I would pay labor. I hope the gentleman was having a bad day, I called twice and he was a bit short over the phone bothbtimes. Perhaps I'll stop by in person Tuesday and say hello.

Will need to replace a tire, might as well upgrade to cool 4runner wheels. I asked if I could bring in my own wheel/tire set and at least he agreed to that. But honestly, for being recommended to this shop they have been less than friendly over the phone.

I wonder if TPMS sensors can transfer to new wheels?

Was towed today to shop :( slid off snowy road. I called shop to see if they could install in the process of correcting the misalignment. No need to align the truck twice.... "We don't do that". Maybe I was hasty in choosing a shop? I mean I would pay labor. I hope the gentleman was having a bad day, I called twice and he was a bit short over the phone bothbtimes. Perhaps I'll stop by in person Tuesday and say hello.

Will need to replace a tire, might as well upgrade to cool 4runner wheels. I asked if I could bring in my own wheel/tire set and at least he agreed to that. But honestly, for being recommended to this shop they have been less than friendly over the phone.

I wonder if TPMS sensors can transfer to new wheels?

Some shops don't have the insurance to do mods. My in-laws have their own shop and he isn't allowed to do any aftermarket modifications. He told me that the liability is much higher. He has a full service operation but can't/ won't touch lifts, exhausts, etc etc. He said that if he were to install an aftermarket mod, the client is in an accident, deemed to be at fault, it could roll back to him so ultimately not worth the risk. Funny thing is, the only place in my area that install lifts is the 'yota dealer!

Some shops don't have the insurance to do mods. My in-laws have their own shop and he isn't allowed to do any aftermarket modifications. He told me that the liability is much higher. He has a full service operation but can't/ won't touch lifts, exhausts, etc etc. He said that if he were to install an aftermarket mod, the client is in an accident, deemed to be at fault, it could roll back to him so ultimately not worth the risk. Funny thing is, the only place in my area that install lifts is the 'yota dealer!
That makes sense. I don't have issue with not working with me on parts, only the dismissive attitude he had with me on two separate encounters.

I
i would just like to take this opportunity to thank DRANGED and the rest of the mudd community. This is by far the best online automotive community I have found. Using the information and advice from this thread i was able to install this same leveling kit in just a couple hours with the help of my son. Turned out perfect! This is my totally stock rig with the 3/4 inch spacer on Method NV wheels and 265/70/17 Duratracs.

upload_2019-1-9_16-2-45.jpeg

The only additional advice I would give is that while you do have to remove the sway bar you do not need to disconnect the steering if you are not replacing the shocks and are willing to grind the top shock bolts in place. I also found that while theoretically you can reinstall the strut and spacer back in the lower control arm with just a 200 lb man and a six foot pry bar it is much easier to just remove the two bolts holding the ball joint assembly on and push the lower control arm down with your hand. No need to separate the ball joint there are two bolts to either side of it that attach the assembly to the spindle, while it’s loose you can inspect it for wear.

Thanks again all for making a two banana job a one banana job!

@DRANGED I finally bit the bullet and bought eBay special 1.5 inch leveling spacers for the front. I am peicing the GX back together after my accident. (insurance totalled it out, mechanic torn it down, I retained vehicle and am now peicing the body cladding, bumpers etc back on) An alignment may fix the 8nly toe-out issue that was caused in the steering, soi figured I'd reduce my alignment to 1, and put these spacers on first. I'll know better next week after arrival and install..... Fingers crossed it all goes well, in the mean time I have some serious access to knock down some surface rust with a wire brush and coat with some new black paint...

@DRANGED I finally bit the bullet and bought eBay special 1.5 inch leveling spacers for the front. I am peicing the GX back together after my accident. (insurance totalled it out, mechanic torn it down, I retained vehicle and am now peicing the body cladding, bumpers etc back on) An alignment may fix the 8nly toe-out issue that was caused in the steering, soi figured I'd reduce my alignment to 1, and put these spacers on first. I'll know better next week after arrival and install..... Fingers crossed it all goes well, in the mean time I have some serious access to knock down some surface rust with a wire brush and coat with some new black paint...
Holy fu!! Totaled out? Hell you could cough out for a real aftermarket lift..... but, I really think you lose some great GX awesomeness by fully committing (but that's just speaking from perspective of family rig that's capable needs)
Maybe a good time to peal off the fender flares @Vlad style. Go prado!

Holy fu!! Totaled out? Hell you could cough out for a real aftermarket lift..... but, I really think you lose some great GX awesomeness by fully committing (but that's just speaking from perspective of family rig that's capable needs)
1 down 3 to go i guess.....

but really I wish I could pull the trigger on a nice aftermarket ARB bumper set. That's not going to happen yet for me. I'll put all the plastic back on minus the running boards which were also damaged and I wanted but I wanted to take off anyway, I hit chain link fence in the snow that had entry and exit wounds so both front bumper and back bumper was damaged. I think front bumper is beyond help, but the back bumper I'll be able to trim up and make do. I don't know where I'm going to find all the tiny little various-sized clips to put everything back together, Orwell find a donor bumper piece up front, a well-used one on eBay is $150, a new one is 300 or more. So I might be doing the used one, as there are very few if any GX models in a salvage yard anywhere close to me. I found the part I needed at a yard in California, call them, but they don't ship parts.... Here's my lovely front bumper as it looks now. But again I think an alignment will do it and I'll be back to running as it did before slightly different looks.

1 down 3 to go i guess.....

but really I wish I could pull the trigger on a nice aftermarket ARB bumper set. That's not going to happen yet for me. I'll put all the plastic back on minus the running boards which were also damaged and I wanted but I wanted to take off anyway, I hit chain link fence in the snow that had entry and exit wounds so both front bumper and back bumper was damaged. I think front bumper is beyond help, but the back bumper I'll be able to trim up and make do. I don't know where I'm going to find all the tiny little various-sized clips to put everything back together, Orwell find a donor bumper piece up front, a well-used one on eBay is $150, a new one is 300 or more. So I might be doing the used one, as there are very few if any GX models in a salvage yard anywhere close to me. I found the part I needed at a yard in California, call them, but they don't ship parts.... Here's my lovely front bumper as it looks now. But again I think an alignment will do it and I'll be back to running as it did before slightly different looks.
wow, Well I guess you could trim down the front bumper to the line below the vents at least, if ARB's (or other) not in the cards now. If back is jacked a bit too, trim it down for some AA and DA clearance @Bluetribal style (pre coastal bumper)
markkuz.com.logo.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG

Question for those that installed the 3/4” thick spacer above the strut , the 3 factory bolts pressed into the top hat must be shortened/ cut down to properly install correct?

Question for those that installed the 3/4” thick spacer above the strut , the 3 factory bolts pressed into the top hat must be shortened/ cut down to properly install correct?
That's correct. A conical die grinder bit would be good to provide control and not hit the spacer.

That's correct. A conical die grinder bit would be good to provide control and not hit the spacer.
Yes, like @DRANGED said, the factory bolts on the top of the strut must be filed down. About 1/4 inch or less though. I dont have a small grinder yet (adding that to the list) I did it with a small hand metal file ¯\(ツ)
Here is a shot of mine with spacers installed, fresh home from an alignment. Fixed my issue. (I slid off road in the snow a little over a month ago, insurance totaled it out, turns out all it needed was an alignment 👍) I also tricked the rear airbags to give me a ~2 inch lift out back too. Stock sized tires may not look too small yet....?

Last edited:
Yes, like @DRANGED said, the factory bolts on the top of the strut must be filed down. About 1/4 inch or less though. I dont have a small grinder yet (adding that to the list) I did it with a small hand metal file ¯\(ツ)
Here is a shot of mine with spacers installed, fresh home from an alignment. Fixed my issue. (I slid off road in the snow a little over a month ago, insurance totaled it out, turns out all it needed was an alignment 👍) I also tricked the rear airbags to give me a ~2 inch lift out back too. Stock sized tires may not look too small yet....?

View attachment 1901427
@steveLX450
Sound like per runningdrew, just shave down the nipple of the factory studs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom