Front Seats: Fix or Go Original? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First-time poster here. I'm working on a '71 FJ40 where a previous owner removed the factory bench seats and installed a pair of bucket seats (maybe from an '80s American car).

The driver's seat was screwed into the lid of the tool box which I don't think is safe. No way this seat stays put in a crash or rollover. It's also mounted so high that you can't get your legs between the seat cushions and the steering wheel.

I could fix the problem by removing the toolbox and building mounting brackets that are stronger and at the right height. Should be straightforward, but not authentic.

Or, I could fix the problem by going back to the factory bench seats. This would cost more but would be more authentic, safer and fix the driving position problem. Going this way would mean finding a decent set of factory seats.

Any thoughts?

Anybody out there have a set of factory seats for a '71 that they'd be willing to sell?

There are Landcruiser guys in Colorado and Utah that sell parts. If that doesn't pan out, there is a guy North of Tucson in Marana that sells parts. Shipping factory seats will be a pain and they are not light. Road trip?

My vote is for original seats. I like them in my 1970 40. They were rough when I got them but I used the SOR foam and covers.

before and after:
1CA9845B-B8B6-4B88-BF96-502B57A91E19.JPG

First-time poster here. I'm working on a '71 FJ40 where a previous owner removed the factory bench seats and installed a pair of bucket seats (maybe from an '80s American car).

The driver's seat was screwed into the lid of the tool box which I don't think is safe. No way this seat stays put in a crash or rollover. It's also mounted so high that you can't get your legs between the seat cushions and the steering wheel.

I could fix the problem by removing the toolbox and building mounting brackets that are stronger and at the right height. Should be straightforward, but not authentic.

Or, I could fix the problem by going back to the factory bench seats. This would cost more but would be more authentic, safer and fix the driving position problem. Going this way would mean finding a decent set of factory seats.

Any thoughts?

Anybody out there have a set of factory seats for a '71 that they'd be willing to sell?

@fixoldthings, if you are not tied to going back original then here are a few pics of later year oem buckets in my 64. Hope these help you decide a path. Good luck!
D2233F07-818C-43BA-A120-07527A77810A.jpeg
9EB9BE56-FAFA-4CE9-A2C7-0C7E0307A82D.jpeg
A8ED750F-874B-4921-B120-2D727D86E8CC.jpeg
B43FE386-0499-4E7B-B7F7-291D85F88FAC.jpeg
1062F9E8-BB8C-4730-8311-761711DD64B4.jpeg

Nice work, there. Thanks for the input.

For my '71 FJ40 build I removed the toolbox and original seats. I picked up a complete set of seat supports and brackets compatible with the bucket seats in my '76 FJ40 from Brandon at Classic Cruisers. I bought a very decent set of OEM FJ40 3-point shoulder harness seat belts from Mark's Off Road and a very decent used tub here on MUD that I'll modify to use the bucket seat supports and brackets. I'll have the '76 seats reupholstered at the shop that just re-covered my short jump seats. I'll be using the SOR seat bottom foam. For me and my wife, we're used to the FJ40 bucket seats and are comfortable sitting in them for longer trips, including a run to Chinle, AZ and back as part of the FJ40 Cross Country Expedition and a trip to the first annual Solid Axle Summit a few years ago.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: After deciding you guys were right, I did some online shopping, made some calls and came up with a decent set of original seat from Classic Cruisers here in Colorado. They were not cheap, but I'm happy with how things turned out.

Here's a video of the result

I Got here too late. I have an extra 5-piece set 9/71-9/72 bench seat setup.
While assembling the parts for mine I couldn’t help buying all the extra parts.
I prolly should get all the parts together and get them on the market!
Someone out there prolly needs them!
Great job on the YouTube video!

Thanks. If they're in decent shape they should bring a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom