Front right impact - Bent Axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No way! Just need to find my magic eraser!

Axle won't come out. Yet. It looks like it is jammed to one side.
IMG_6582.JPG

IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

IMG_6585.JPG

I'm hoping I can straighten this bracket that is welded on and holds the control arm.

IMG_6580.JPG

IMG_6581.JPG

I guess I'll be the one to ask for more details and pics on what you hit, how it happened, how fast it happened, and what the damage up top looks like.

Looks like you got some work ahead of ya with parts replacement and I wish ya the best of luck on it man! Fingers crossed for no more surprises for ya.

Bet your axle housing is fine. Those control arms are strong but not designed to take a hit sideways. Can you wiggle the axle? You said it was a slow moving accident. The Mercedes that hit my truck was going at 35 MPH before slowed a bit and hit the truck.

If it was me & my 80, I'd either DIY (or pay a pro - I'm a cert'ed welder for work) or recruit a buddy who really burns rod for a living.

I'd landmark with a Sharpie your old bracket "ears" & then either plasma & dress out with a 4.5" grinder - or do it all with that 4.5" & a cutter disc & flapwheel to dress out.

Then get that section of a frame someone is willing to sell the whole framerail chunk & remove the bracket sacrificing the scrap box frame you're pulling it off of.

Then if you are really a good welder, just get at it. Or continue to pay either a well qualified buddy or a body shop.

I'm sure someone will chime in about heat treating, but frankly I'll sooner drive on my welds than a fatigued bracket that was re-bent to spec.

If you made a face of any sort reading the post, let a pro welder tackle it, you're dealing with argueably one of the most critical brackets.

Also, check your tube that ties the framerails together - I don't know how I did it but I cracked my LX450 loose on one side. I couldn't even guese when I did that, it was a surprise to find that.

Also, is that just penetrant overspray, or did you roach a section of brake hardline?

I guess I'll be the one to ask for more details and pics on what you hit, how it happened, how fast it happened, and what the damage up top looks like.

Looks like you got some work ahead of ya with parts replacement and I wish ya the best of luck on it man! Fingers crossed for no more surprises for ya.
It wasn't my accident, it was a slow moving accident though. There is ZERO damage to body.

If it was me & my 80, I'd either DIY (or pay a pro - I'm a cert'ed welder for work) or recruit a buddy who really burns rod for a living.

I'd landmark with a Sharpie your old bracket "ears" & then either plasma & dress out with a 4.5" grinder - or do it all with that 4.5" & a cutter disc & flapwheel to dress out.

Then get that section of a frame someone is willing to sell the whole framerail chunk & remove the bracket sacrificing the scrap box frame you're pulling it off of.

Then if you are really a good welder, just get at it. Or continue to pay either a well qualified buddy or a body shop.

I'm sure someone will chime in about heat treating, but frankly I'll sooner drive on my welds than a fatigued bracket that was re-bent to spec.

If you made a face of any sort reading the post, let a pro welder tackle it, you're dealing with argueably one of the most critical brackets.

Also, check your tube that ties the framerails together - I don't know how I did it but I cracked my LX450 loose on one side. I couldn't even guese when I did that, it was a surprise to find that.

The tube is fine, double checked. You're right, don't straighten it, cut out carefully and replace. Need to find a donor...

I'm not a welder, I'll have someone else do that. It'll be done in my driveway though and that will likely have limitations as to who will do the welding.

Also, is that just penetrant overspray, or did you roach a section of brake hardline?
Penetrant overspray like crazy. Trying to clean years of PO grime.

Bet your axle housing is fine. Those control arms are strong but not designed to take a hit sideways. Can you wiggle the axle? You said it was a slow moving accident. The Mercedes that hit my truck was going at 35 MPH before slowed a bit and hit the truck.
I can't wiggle the axle at all. But before disassembly it drove without too many issues and the wheel turned freely.

The tube is fine, double checked. You're right, don't straighten it, cut out carefully and replace. Need to find a donor...

I'm not a welder, I'll have someone else do that. It'll be done in my driveway though and that will likely have limitations as to who will do the welding.

Not as limited as you may think!
Lots of guys who do the refinery turnaround/shutdown 'tour' in the Winters act as their own employer & have mobile welding trucks with a Miller Bobcat, etc - that powers a scratch-arc TIG or a MIG unit onboard.

My old welding instructor at the college when I was getting my TIG methodology tightened up even ran a sucessful business local doing the mobile weld gig without having to go on the "shutdown tour".

By the time you pay a local that ~$75 fee to show up & crank up his generator, the rest of the bill shouldn't be bad. Esp considering what he's welding - no 120v MIG welder job here (at least as I know them, I keep forgetting how far 120's have jumped since the inverter/transformer changeup in home machines).

At any rate, if you hire a pro he's got real gear.

I'm hoping I can straighten this bracket that is welded on and holds the control arm.

Side to side placement isn't that critical, just so it's close. We bang/bend them pretty good on the trail, have to put some "straight" back into them almost every time the arms are out. Big adjustable wrenches (have lots, the biggest here is 24") horse them around pretty well. Just make sure the rig is well supported, so you don't pull it down on yourself!

I think these were made for bending metal, rarely use them for anything else!:hillbilly:
18 in. Adjustable Jumbo Wrench
24 in. Adjustable Jumbo Wrench

Last edited:
I had a bent axle from a parts rig that the shaft and birf would not come out of the knuckle just like you are seeing. I suspect bent axle based on that.

I straightened it using a I beam for the straightline -- see pics. To get it perfect, I put a solid metal pipe through axle, end to end, that went through two hdpe pieces that I turned down to fit in the carrier of the third.

It was a bunch of work, but only way I was sure it was straight.

Ended up adding armor to give it a fighting chance to stay straight.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1449504200.885128.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1449504191.534965.jpg

Have also straightened them, not that elaborate, just I-beam, 20t jack and chain. Have done them on the truck, didn't even take it apart.:hillbilly:

Have also straightened them, not that elaborate, just I-beam, 20t jack and chain. Have done them on the truck, didn't even take it apart.:hillbilly:

Darn you Newman!!!

Never git me to drive a rig that has Hillbilly Repairs like that......
Oh, wait a minute, that was MY rig! It had a 3.5 degree of surplus camber. Now it is well within factory specs and it drives great! :cheers:

I didn't straighten mine since I bought the axle with the arms attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom