Front end clunk when the truck fully stopped, foot feels it coming from the brake padel. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been noticing my truck develop a clunk feeling/sound in the last 5,000 miles. When the truck comes to a full stop, I can feel the clunk feeling/sound from the brake padel. Most of the time, it comes when I start to release the brake padel. Sometimes it comes right after I depress the brake padel and the truck fully stopped. The feeling like something at the front end moved a little bit after the truck fully stopped. It normally will not happen when I drive very slow to approach a stop sign. I have searched the forum, but have not found a definite answer. I also used a camera put underneath the front bumper, but nothing seems out of normal from the video. Any insights on this is appreciated.

Remove the front undercover and aim camera at the front diff mount bushing, check if there's vertical movement as the front driveshaft loads/unloads. This makes a very noticeable "clunk" during any accel/decel input. There are example videos on mud & yootoob showing this condition.

Remove the front undercover and aim camera at the front diff mount bushing, check if there's vertical movement as the front driveshaft loads/unloads. This makes a very noticeable "clunk" during any accel/decel input. There are example videos on mud & yootoob showing this condition.
I think you are right. Got the video of the front bushing and there is noticeable movement. Thank you!

Maybe I am mistaking, but can we just tight the bolt of the front bushing? I see the bolt is in the frame and there is still room to let the bolt go in.

Maybe I am mistaking, but can we just tight the bolt of the front bushing? I see the bolt is in the frame and there is still room to let the bolt go in.

You can't but it won't do much to help if the bushing is worn out (either too soft or to hard depending on the conditions it lives in). Rubber wears out / ages and has to be replaced.

From that video, it looks like you may have a power steering leak somewhere as well. Make sure that's not coming from the power steering pump and dripping on the alternator. Will kill that alt relatively quickly.

That front diff bushing does move quite a bit when shifting & driving. This video is fast-motion of shifting D-N-R-N-D many times with brand new bushings, looks similar to the movement you’re seeing.

A clunk when releasing the brake after a stop is often related to the drive shaft splines sticking, read more here: The OFFICIAL clunk/thunk driveshaft thread

That front diff bushing does move quite a bit when shifting & driving. This video is fast-motion of shifting D-N-R-N-D many times with brand new bushings, looks similar to the movement you’re seeing.

A clunk when releasing the brake after a stop is often related to the drive shaft splines sticking, read more here: The OFFICIAL clunk/thunk driveshaft thread

Agreed on the driveshaft splines, could also be a source of the clunk trying to slide without grease.

New diff bushing still moves, but the clunk comes from metal-on-metal contact that worn bushing allows. New bushing reduces movement and eliminates contact. Febest makes a replacement bushing insert if you're looking to save some money over OEM bracket replacement.

You can see on UltTrail runner's video there's gapping between "old" bushing & plates during movement, whereas Ayune's video of "new" bushing the rubber remains in contact with the plates the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom