Front Elocker: Sticky Collar/ Actuator Fork?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening all! I snatched up a couple of axles with locking differentials and 4:56 gears. The axles were off of a 1991 HDJ81.
20240219_190122 (1).jpg

I am getting ready to plug these in under my 97 FZJ80 and have a problem with the actuator fork and collar on the front differential. I removed the actuator from the differential and rebuild that sucker and it is working just fine. I have the actuator off of the differential along with the lock/unlock sensor/switch. I can manually push the locker collar and shift fork down with my hand very easily until it hits this point:
20240219_190116.jpg

The collar easily sinks to this point but once it is there it is a little harder to push down. When I add a little more pressure it depresses in a way which I would describe as being very much like pushing past a detent ball. I push it past that stiff point and it sinks to this point (bottoming out):

20240219_190140.jpg
After it hits bottom it is hard to pull back up with my hand. I use a screwdriver to pop it up and once again I have to work it past that "detent feeling" sticky spot and it pops right up.

My Actuator cannot get it out of the bottomed-out/locked position. It is strange but when I am moving it back and forth I can hear it moving past that sticky point and it sounds a little like a hydraulic suction sort of action. I have had the differential checked out and the gears have been properly installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom