front driveshaft confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
92 LC 80 series with the 3F-E
2.5" OME lift springs with caster correction bushings

I have been chasing a vibration issue on acceleration under load since I bought this about 2 months ago. I think I have it narrowed down to the front DriveShaft - once I pulled the shaft the vibrations went away ( I have the shaft out and the center diff locked to make driving w/o the shaft safe).

Have been reading up on the front toyota DS and it seems like it comes from the factory 90 degrees out of phase? The shaft I pulled is in phase...so I am not sure how to proceed. I am weighing the option of having this DS balanced...but I don't know if I should put it into the stock 90* out of phase position, or leave it in phase.

The other option is to just buy a Tom Woods DC shaft...but thats another $500. Tempting despite the price.... but of I choose to try to salvage this one first do I go with stock out of phase or in phase? I am guessing that I would have to make that choice before having it balanced?

Check the slip joint splines for wear. It is common for the splines to wear which will allow the shaft to flex just enough to make it out of balance.

Check the slip joint splines for wear. It is common for the splines to wear which will allow the shaft to flex just enough to make it out of balance.
Yeah - have been thinking about next steps all morning and I’m leaning towards just picking up a DC shaft from Tom Woods at this point. More $ but seems like the simplest solution.

Do you have a local driveshaft shop? Take them a box of donuts, six pack, or such and see if they'll put it on their balancing machine to see if there are issues.

Some will check it for free to provide an estimate, but I like to "grease the wheels" in such cases. If they have a fee to check it out, it's probably worth it as well.

Do you have a local driveshaft shop? Take them a box of donuts, six pack, or such and see if they'll put it on their balancing machine to see if there are issues.

Some will check it for free to provide an estimate, but I like to "grease the wheels" in such cases. If they have a fee to check it out, it's probably worth it as well.
There is a place not too far from me… question is would I have them balance it “in phase” or with the stock “90* out of phase” configuration?

So I'd check if it is balanced either in phase or out of phase currently. If the stock setup is out of phase, you may find that it is balanced when you do that. For that matter, put it back in out of phase and see if that changes anything.

Particularly with a new purchase, there is a chance that someone before you had it out and reinstalled it incorrectly.

There is a place not too far from me… question is would I have them balance it “in phase” or with the stock “90* out of phase” configuration?
what shop is this? would like to get my u-joints replaced and balance checked.

Just called em - they lost their DS guy and don’t do it anymore. Closest I know of now is ORI out in Winchester

Eric do they build driveshafts also or just balance?
I’ll call them on Monday. I need a new rear DC. I don’t think they will be able to balance my schedule 40 rear shaft.

Eric do they build driveshafts also or just balance?
I’ll call them on Monday. I need a new rear DC. I don’t think they will be able to balance my schedule 40 rear shaft.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think they do.

Have been reading up on the front toyota DS and it seems like it comes from the factory 90 degrees out of phase? The shaft I pulled is in phase...so I am not sure how to proceed.
That is correct. The rear drive shaft is in phase and the front is 90 out. That is assuming the front drive shaft is OEM. Toyota shafts have the grease fitting on the cross shaft of the universal, not on the outer bearing caps like most domestic manufacturers.
Simply separate the front shaft and put it back in in the correct orientation and see what happens.
As previously stated, there should be ZERO rotational slop in the slip yoke and ZERO rotational slop in both universals. With the shaft out, rotate the universals through their entire range on both axis. You should not feel any "notches" or wear points and should be firm through the movement.
Replace both with OEM 04371-60070.
80 Series drive shafts have the same flanges on both ends and can be installed backwards. The slip yokes of both drive shafts should be towards the front of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom