Front driveline replacement for SBC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in need of a new (to me) front propellor shaft for a '76 -40 with a SBC (done with an AA kit way back in the '80's).

I know I'll have to cut it to fit but is the best candidate to start an original length front driveline?

I'm in need of a new (to me) front propellor shaft for a '76 -40 with a SBC (done with an AA kit way back in the '80's).

I know I'll have to cut it to fit but is the best candidate to start an original length front driveline?

do you currently have the front shaft? any good driveshaft shop can re-tube it if it's bad.

I parted a '77 with an AA SBC conversion and the drive shafts were stock length (though it was mated to a H55). If it has a stock H42 4-sp, the drive shafts only needed to be replaced if the trans was moved during the conversion and in the case of the one I parted, the install had worked out in such a way that the outputs on the transfer case where in factory locations (again, it was a H55, so that may make a difference). I would measure first to see if you couldn't just get a used Toyota drive shaft before you head to the shop.

I parted a '77 with an AA SBC conversion and the drive shafts were stock length (though it was mated to a H55). If it has a stock H42 4-sp, the drive shafts only needed to be replaced if the trans was moved during the conversion and in the case of the one I parted, the install had worked out in such a way that the outputs on the transfer case where in factory locations (again, it was a H55, so that may make a difference). I would measure first to see if you couldn't just get a used Toyota drive shaft before you head to the shop.

It makes a 4 inch difference. The motor was moved forward and the transfer case was left in the same position. shifter, transmission and engine move forward.

In your case, you could find a used shaft with tight splines, have it retubed, replace the U-joints and go nuts. More than likely it will need to be shortened a few inches.

I swear I have some extra drive shafts somewhere......

It makes a 4 inch difference. The motor was moved forward and the transfer case was left in the same position. shifter, transmission and engine move forward.

In that case, I guess the H55's overdrive absorbed the extra 4"? As I said, they were stock length in that case. I bought the rig hoping to get the H55 along with the adjusted drive shafts to drop right in behind my 2F, but I was really bummed to find stock length drive lines.

In your case, you could find a used shaft with tight splines, have it retubed, replace the U-joints and go nuts. More than likely it will need to be shortened a few inches.

These were my thoughts as well. I chatted with the local driveline shop about it already and what I have is fubar. Its cheaper to get a different front stock one and have it chopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom