Front Disc conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to convert to front disc brakes.
Should I face any issues with these wheels fitting if I use the jt outfitter kit?
Any better kits I should consider?
Already have dual master cylinder upgrade

Build date is Nov 69.
As far as I know they are the original wheels

20230116_144337.jpg

20230116_144349.jpg

If your wheels are riveted you'll need to replace them with welded wheels to clear the calipers.

agreed with @pb4ugo contact Cruiser Outfitters or Valley Hybrids or Classic Cruisers and they can get you a disc brake setup that is all Toyota. All three of these shops have a longstanding reputation for helping customers source these upgrades. They will also be able to answer your clearance questions.

We can absolutely help @ Cruiser Outfitters. We have complete conversion kits avail with new parts. Or, we can help you piece together the parts.

Lots of info on the swap here:

I myself would NEVER buy from JT Outfitters again
I've never bought anything from JT Outfitters, but I'd also recommend stock Toyota. Toyota parts are a 100x better setup.

Simple question for me. Brakes are a critical safety system. Who do you trust your life and the lives of your passengers with for proper engineering and design?

Simple question for me. Brakes are a critical safety system. Who do you trust your life and the lives of your passengers with for proper engineering and design?
Obviously the company that says their brake parts are for off road use only & uses a small, single piston mini-caliper... vs the 4 piston caliper, vented rotor, tested and engineered product that does have DOT approval.

The choice seems obvious to me. We drive Landcruisers for a reason. For me that reason is the superior engineering that went into building every part of them. I have a SBC in mine which many would say goes against this principle (but that's a debate for another day). However, that's all the more reason I trust the four piston calipers with vented rotors, an 80 booster & master, and extra beefy rear calipers with thick vented rotors. The other option may be passible... but a C- at best, if that's all you want, there are older Jeeps that are passible and with enough extra time and money can be as strong as a stock Fj40 (some of the newer ones are getting better off the showroom floor, but I have no desire to have one).

Obviously the company that says their brake parts are for off road use only & uses a small, single piston mini-caliper... vs the 4 piston caliper, vented rotor, tested and engineered product that does have DOT approval.
And then there's that...

I sourced a 1977 front axle with discs. Should just bolt up right?

it will bolt up sort of
the flange on the diff will be different, if you have a correct slip yoke flange you can use that on your existing driveshaft
you will need to run a dual circuit master cylinder, so new lines will need to be run
if going with a booster, you'll need to figure that out also with the firewall rib, some use a spacer o clear the rib

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom