front diff rebuilt question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all,

i am rebuilding the front diff from a to z but a questiion remains: how far are we suppose to go into setting the bearing preload but espacialy the backlash.

i can see no way off measuring the backlash on the front diif.

Is it important to set it as precisely as the back diff since it is only engage in bad road conditiion?

thanks to all

yves

get yourself a factory service manual, that should answer all your questions.

i've tried to locate a FSM near my area but they are rare as pope poop around here.....

is there a place in the us i can buy one online or i have to go to finding one used!

thanks

yves

the dealer could'nt help you?

try ebay.

frenchman said:
hi all,

i am rebuilding the front diff from a to z but a questiion remains: how far are we suppose to go into setting the bearing preload but espacialy the backlash.

i can see no way off measuring the backlash on the front diif.

Is it important to set it as precisely as the back diff since it is only engage in bad road conditiion?

thanks to all

yves

You need to remove the differential from the front axle to set it up. A front differential doesn't need the same set up precision if you are willing to put up with noise when you use it, however if the preload is too tight it might fail quickly. I wouldn't worry too much about the backlash in a used differential. I have seen them way off due to normal wear, but they run quiet if the contact pattern is good. Pinion depth and preload are more important.
Lastly, I wouldn't bother setting one up if you can find a good used one for a good price.
Also see:
http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/Diff/diff.html

Pin_Head -- the differential setup literature from Yukon gear implies
that carrier bearing preload is really important and needs to be
tightented on many used 3rd members. You can't set carrier bearing
preload without adjusting backlash. If you were installing a used
3rd member, would you leave carrier bearing preload and backlash
alone?

Bearing preload (for both the carrier and pinion bearings) is critical. It can't be too low and it can't be too high. If there is some preload (eg. There is no clearance between the races and bearings), then you should be able to add preload without changing the backlash significantly. Just tightening the bearings isn't going to change the L-R position of the ring gear significantly because the bearings aren't particularly compressible. At least that's my experience. I generally will reset the backlash and bump up the preload a notch on a used differential, but I won't exceed the overall preload value for used bearings. The difference between not enough and too much carrier preload is only about two notches on the adjuster nuts.

Thought I would give this a bump. Good info here. I was setting up a rear diff tonight and had my doubts as to the backlash. .0059 to .0079 really feels sloppy.

I was going to rebuild the front too and when I pulled that apart I checked it and discovered it to be about .0015. I am very surprised that the backlash would decrease with wear.

I did not get the thing done,however, as I need to get some thicker shims for the spider gears.

Edit. One thing I noted is, depending on the style of dial indicator, this appears to be reading .056 and not .0056. Be careful.
diff17.jpg

I scratched my head about this for a few days.

Last edited:
I've been eavesdropping.......... Great info here. ----- Thanks folks (especially Pinhead).

From this conversation (and Pinhead's diff rebuild link) I'm now much better prepared for when I fit my ARB difflocks.

:beer::beer:

Backlash will not decrease with wear. It has been mis-adjusted.
Checked it again. it is fine. I edited the post above as well. It helps to be able to read your own tools:bang::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom