Front Control Arm Bushing Measurements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to throw this up here in case anyone needs it. I recently replaced my control arm bushings with OEM replacements.

AXLE SIDE BUSHINGS
the original that came out measured 2.365" OD all around.
20151016_192537.jpg

you'll notice the bushings have voids in them about 180 degrees apart. not sure why but that's the way Mr. T designed them. What i found interesting was that the OD at voids was 2.365" (same as the old bushing).
20151016_192056.jpg
However when measuring 90 degrees away from the voids, i measured 2.385". I observed similar measurements on all 4 axle side bushings.
20151016_192347.jpg
I didn't have a pic but the machined bore in the control arm measured 2.355". Could the "egg" shape of the bushings be the reason it takes so much force to press these in? At the worst case, you have 0.030" interference total.

I've read that the caster correction bushings from OME, Ironman, TJM etc. go in with less force than the OEM's. Anyone care to reply with OD measurements from a set of caster correction bushings they happen to have lying around?

FRAME SIDE BUSHINGS
frame side bushings had similar variances in the OD
OD with voids at 12 and 6 o'clock was 2.143"
20151016_193028.jpg

OD at voids was around 2.125"
20151016_193001.jpg

I didnt take a pic of the machined bore in the CA but i recall measuring 2.120".

Believe it is in the FSM and documented here, with OEM bushings the voids are to be in certain orientation when pressed it.

Sizes sound about right. They are designed as "interference fit" so they don't slip around inside the arms when driving

The FSM changes the orientation of the voids in the bushings in later years with no explanation. IIRC the holes went from "up and down" to "side to side" in 1996.

Leave the bushings in the freezer the night before you plan to press them in. You will be surprised how easy they start and press in.

Their elastic modulus is lighter in the void direction than the filled direction so which way sees more force when installed? I think that the front bushings see more force in the verticle direction while the frame bushings see more force in the horizontal direction so I would install the fronts with the filled parts verticle and the frame ones front to back.

If you want the bushing to flex more readily you would reverse the orientation.

YMMV

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom