Rear Control Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m new here and just bought my second FJ80. I had a ‘97 back in the early 2000’s and never modified it, it was my daily driver and fishing rig. Sold it in 2009 and had regretted that move since then. Fast forward to the present and I bought a ‘96 with 180k on it, zero rust California car.

I just had a 2” Dobinsons lift put on it along with a set of Falken Wildpeaks in 285/75/16. When I picked up the cruiser form the shop they said the rear control arms were shot and I didn’t think to ask if the bushings were shot or if he meant the arms themselves and that I should plan to replace both the upper and lowers in the near future.

I don’t plan to go any higher than 2” with the lift and my needs are just to get me to off the beaten path fishing spots. No hardcore wheeling is in the plans for me. I probably don’t even need the lift and if I’m being honest I did it for looks, plus my sons egged me on.

As I troll through the forums I see a lot of discussion on adjustable vs non adjustable control arms, but my internet search only turned up Land Tank control arms in a non adjustable format, are there others or is the choice for non adjustable that limited?

Are non adjustable what I need or should I get a set of Dobinsons to match the suspension? Also how tough are they to replace out at home? My son has now swapped out shocks, springs and leaf springs on a 4Runner, a Tacoma, a T100 and a Tundra so I was thinking if it isn’t to challenging I may just have him do it for me so he can earn some extra cash. Thoughts?
IMG_1335.jpeg

Probably just needs new bushing pressed in. You don’t need uppers or lowers adjustable or non-adjustable.

People who actively offroad generally swap the lowers for something with more beef to take hits. The uppers are usually adjustable and may or may not be needed but definitely not in your case.

Swapping out the control arms is peice of cake. Just need a couple of big wrenches. Do them one side at a time.
Changing the bushings is easy, if you hve a 12k hydralic press and the tooling. Other wise have a shop do it.
Unless you've been wheeling hard and draging your LCA's over rocks all day, they aren't worn out, it's the bushings.

Oh! I almost forgot.... Welcome to MUD :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Control arms do not wear. Unless they have been damaged in some sort of impact/collision they will last well beyond the life of the vehicle. Like, until they rust away. Bushings do wear, so if you do in fact have problems that is almost certainly where they are.

2 inch lift does not require adjustable upper rear control arms. Would they hurt? no.But hundreds, thousands of people run 2-3 inch lift with theOEM arms and never even notice any change in drivability, longevity or anything else.

Pressing the bushings out of the arms is the most technically challenging part of the job. Assume that it will require a good hydraulic press unless you happen to be the king of bush engineering and a true backyard hacker. ;)

Mark...

If you are sticking to 2" then you only need to replace the rubber bushings. If the rear arms are toast then pretty sure the panhards and front control arm bushings will also be shot.
Very doable at home but you will need a 20 ton press to remove the old and fit the new. There is a specific orientation for the control arm bushings so don't just slap them in.
Don't cheap out and buy aftermarket bushings. The OEM versions are still readily available. Oh and the bolts and nuts are not reusable according to Mr T so for a few dollars more include new nuts, bolts and washers.

I agree with the others here that the shop most likely meant bushings and you don't need aftermarket adjustable arms for your intended uses.

I've bent rear lower control arms, but I was wheeling. Even though you don't use it that way, a prior owner may have?

For extra peace of mind, you can check that the shafts of the rear lower control arms are okay by putting a straightedge up to them to make sure they're straight and you can also verify that there is no visible physical damage to the arms.

I agree with the others here that the shop most likely meant bushings and you don't need aftermarket adjustable arms for your intended uses.

I've bent rear lower control arms, but I was wheeling. Even though you don't use it that way, a prior owner may have?

For extra peace of mind, you can check that the shafts of the rear lower control arms are okay by putting a straightedge up to them to make sure they're straight and you can also verify that there is no visible physical damage to the arms.
So I checked the arms this AM and they are straight.

I also looked over my work order/invoice and the front panhard bushings were replaced at $190. As I reread the invoice I noticed it said recommendations - rear upper and lower control arms, rear panhard bushings.

So using the front panhard I guess I’m looking at $190 x 5 = $950.

If I was correct in my part number search I’m probably looking at $250 for OEM bushings and mounting hardware from Impex. Using the same part numbers on a few Toyota deal ships was closer to $600. I didn’t try partsouc yet.

Now I need to find someone with a 20 ton press……that would let me use it.

Wish we were all closer, I have a 20T press I'd be happy to let 'mudders use.

So I checked the arms this AM and they are straight.

I also looked over my work order/invoice and the front panhard bushings were replaced at $190. As I reread the invoice I noticed it said recommendations - rear upper and lower control arms, rear panhard bushings.

So using the front panhard I guess I’m looking at $190 x 5 = $950.

If I was correct in my part number search I’m probably looking at $250 for OEM bushings and mounting hardware from Impex. Using the same part numbers on a few Toyota deal ships was closer to $600. I didn’t try partsouc yet.

Now I need to find someone with a 20 ton press……that would let me use it.
If you have the space you could buy a press and still come in under $950!

If you have the space you could buy a press and still come in under $950!
I was think about that Harbor Freight one for $270 or so plus the Wits End press set I would be right there and would have the tools for future work.

I was think about that Harbor Freight one for $270 or so plus the Wits End press set I would be right there and would have the tools for future work.
He doesn’t sell them and there are some other issues with him.

@TRAIL TAILOR makes and sells them.

Interesting. I bought two items from him a few weeks ago on a Friday and received them the next Saturday.

Fwiw, I ordered a pair of upper and lower rear control arms and related hardware from partsouq last week for quite a bit less than ordering in the US. Took about 6 days to arrive.

Fwiw, I ordered a pair of upper and lower rear control arms and related hardware from partsouq last week for quite a bit less than ordering in the US. Took about 6 days to arrive.
I searched over the internet this morning and the part numbers I came up with for my truck are:
Rear Lower Control Arms - 48720-60011
Rear Upper Control Arms - 48710-60021
Rear Panhard Bar - 48740-60040

Is that what you had for parts?

Let me know if you are discarding the old ones. I may be interested in picking them up, welding in some angle iron and rebushing them to have a spare set.

I searched over the internet this morning and the part numbers I came up with for my truck are:
Rear Lower Control Arms - 48720-60011
Rear Upper Control Arms - 48710-60021
Rear Panhard Bar - 48740-60040

Is that what you had for parts?
Yes. Those are the same part numbers I ordered. (Didn't order a panhard, tho)

I also ordered new bolts, washers and nuts. 8 of each:
BOLT, WASHER BASED - 9010518006
WASHER, PLATE - 9020119011
NUT, HEXAGON - 9017018007

Yes. Those are the same part numbers I ordered. (Didn't order a panhard, tho)

I also ordered new bolts, washers and nuts. 8 of each:
BOLT, WASHER BASED - 9010518006
WASHER, PLATE - 9020119011
NUT, HEXAGON - 9017018007
Great!!! Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom