Front Brake Caliper Replacement - Napa Eclipse NLA? Options? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for that info. not sure why McGeorge lists it as Discontinued. I'll have to ask them directly. you previously said you don't bother with remans, as the quality has dropped. do you still feel that way? when the price of new calipers was $100 less even earlier this year, I could easily agree to go for it. now i'm not so certain!

Yes, I am aware. I'm not even sure they are the original calipers or parts store remans. I'll probably spend more time rebuilding these than swapping on new/reman calipers. and it might not even be worth it if the piston is too pitted, or i snap/round off a bleeder trying to un-freeze them like i about did on the rears...and i was using a good flare wrench.
sorry about the issue with rounding the bleeders. I had issues with all the hose connections when I replaced mine. No rust, just 24 years of "life," I guess. I resorted to vise grips, which worked every time. For the bleeders I always use a 6 point socket for the initial loosening; that's worked every time for me. :beer:

re: rebuilding, I completely understand. Since my vehicle was "new" to me in April, I didn't know if the calipers were: Original, Toyota replacements, or??? The Toyota rebuild kits were cheap enough that I figured I'd give it a try. All pistons looked perfect. a few of the iron "cylinders" had some pitting, but that was easy to clean and quite low in the bore. So far, so good. :meh:

thanks for that info. not sure why McGeorge lists it as Discontinued. I'll have to ask them directly. you previously said you don't bother with remans, as the quality has dropped. do you still feel that way? when the price of new calipers was $100 less even earlier this year, I could easily agree to go for it. now i'm not so certain!

Yes, I am aware. I'm not even sure they are the original calipers or parts store remans. I'll probably spend more time rebuilding these than swapping on new/reman calipers. and it might not even be worth it if the piston is too pitted, or i snap/round off a bleeder trying to un-freeze them like i about did on the rears...and i was using a good flare wrench.
Seems like the 95+ part numbers are about the same $150 price as Wompom indicated.

Front brake caliper clarification - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-brake-caliper-clarification.1229430/ Here suggests you should be able to use them on your 94. I can't confirm but am looking to do the same for my 94.

Front Brake Caliper difference - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-brake-caliper-difference.872858/ suggests they might look slightly different but functionally the same, just made by different manufactures.

Last edited:
Interesting. 5/95 was the cut over to the newer part number, and my truck is 4/95.

Big difference in price for new calipers if the only difference is external molding marks.

Seems like the 95+ part numbers are about the same $150 price as Wompom indicated.

Front brake caliper clarification - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-brake-caliper-clarification.1229430/ Here suggests you should be able to use them on your 94. I can't confirm but am looking to do the same for my 94.

Front Brake Caliper difference - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-brake-caliper-difference.872858/ suggests they might look slightly different but functionally the same, just made by different manufactures.
Totally fine to buy them for your 94. I did all four corners and bought the 95-97 part numbers as they were way cheaper than the 93/94 for whatever reason.

update: i contacted McGeorge and they added the "discontinued" reman caliper to the catalog so it can be ordered again

but i'm leaning towards all new, all around. with the mid-95+ front caliper part numbers.

in looking at my list of parts in an earlier post, do I need 90080-46209? I can't find that in the parts catalog so I don't know where I got it from

Last edited:
update: i contacted McGeorge and they added the "discontinued" reman caliper to the catalog so it can be ordered again

but i'm leaning towards all new, all around. with the mid-95+ front caliper part numbers.

in looking at my list of parts in an earlier post, do I need 90080-46209? I can't find that in the parts catalog so I don't know where I got it from
If you buy the calipers then you don’t need the anti-rattle clip because it already comes with it.

finally getting around to installing all this, and i am swimming in shims and clips! need some help from the group.

both the old pads i pulled out (unknown) and the new pads going in (EBC Green Stuff) have shims already stuck to the back. do i need these? i haven't done a Toyota brake job since the early 2000's so my memory is a bit fuzzy. the FSM shows the order so i'm clear there. but the pad wear bars are seemingly in pairs; should i put the wear bars both up, both down, one up/one down? does it even freaking matter?
PXL_20211220_231017171.jpg

PXL_20211220_231009701.jpg

these two bags are for the rear calipers. i haven't dug in there yet so it might be obvious where they go once i'm in there. The FSM shows that the 8 clips look like they hold the pads in the caliper. the other bag has a couple clips (wear bars?) and more shims, but the EBC pads have shims already installed again, so i might just leave these out?
PXL_20211220_231039967.jpg

i want to get this right the first time. and i can't trust what is already there as i disassemble.

PXL_20211220_230221637.jpg

Last edited:
The two pins and spring / retainer are all that really hold the pads in place, so get those right and you are at least safe... :cool: I don't have a great picture, but the rest are anti rattle clips and squealers in addition to the shims, The shims are anti-squeal. I don't remember whether I used Toyota or EBC, but both would not be needed...

2021-12-21 14_44_16-Photo - Google Photos.png

Have fun !

Jason

thanks. i think i'll skip the OE shims, and only roll with the locator clips in the rear. i didn't consider the aftermarket pads would be different than OE pads and it threw me for a loop when i unboxed everything.

update: i did not install any of the OE shims. both the front and rear EBC pads came with shims; the front pre-installed, the rears loose in the box. the front pads have built in indicator strips (i faced them down) but the rears do not, so i installed the OE indicators at the tops (the rear pads i replaced did not have those installed)

PXL_20211223_181607217.jpg

PXL_20211223_181713839.jpg

and here's what i pulled out of the reservoir. old calipers, and lines after installing all the new stuff. yuck.
PXL_20211223_193205321.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom