fried wires with CDL switch? CDan, help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.linkedin.com
23May2005 (UTC +8)

Need some help on why my CDL switch melted the wires on my dashboard? I did that mod today, plugging it in my Arab-spec FZJ-80, on the only free connector (grey color) inside the dashboard. Even did the pin7 mod (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_cdl_pin7mod.htm) but I did not disconnect the plug in the transfer case. The center diff lock did not engage, whether in 4Hi nor 4Lo.

So I undo all the work, and tested the 4Lo --thank goodness the center and fr/rr diff lockers still work!

Any hints on what I should do next to get that CDL switch mod going? I want the CDL switch to activate whether in 4Hi or 4Lo, and only when I want it to, and disabled ABS in the process as well.

Well. I think you just plugged the switch into the aftermarket radio plug. BTW what year is your 80? I'm guessing 95+ (newer style dashboard) Because on my 94 the plug for the CDL is quite a ways away from the radio plug, and I have an aftermarket stereo anyway so I couldn't plug into that gray connector.

The Connector you are looking for should have gray foam around it (but the plug is actually white in color) and a plug with a single yellow wire plugged into it.
Check out this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45385

Post 13 and 21 have the pictures of the plug you want. Before and after you remove the jumper plug with the yellow wire in it.

DOn't know what to tell you about the wires other than repair them, and make sure you have the correct fuses in the fuse box, and not higher Amp ones.
-Gary

drexx said:
23May2005 (UTC +8)

Need some help on why my CDL switch melted the wires on my dashboard? I did that mod today, plugging it in my Arab-spec FZJ-80, on the only free connector (grey color) inside the dashboard. Even did the pin7 mod (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_cdl_pin7mod.htm) but I did not disconnect the plug in the transfer case. The center diff lock did not engage, whether in 4Hi nor 4Lo.

So I undo all the work, and tested the 4Lo --thank goodness the center and fr/rr diff lockers still work!

Any hints on what I should do next to get that CDL switch mod going? I want the CDL switch to activate whether in 4Hi or 4Lo, and only when I want it to, and disabled ABS in the process as well.

Take it to Wizard on T. Morato Drexx. They're one of only 2 real car electricians I know of in our territory. The other one is somewhere on Quirino but I haven't found them yet regardless that I've made the trip a few times and searched diligently. I think you'll be alright at Wizard.

BTW, I also need some work on my CDL switch. Seems I jogged something loose on it last time I tried to climb a steep hill with JQ and am now in the process of traceing the lost connection. I should be ready for Wizard the end of this week so give me a call if you want me to show you the place.

Kalawang

23May2005 (UTC +8)

WOW!!! I think that's the right problem description and solution! Many thanks for pointing it out. I have to do it tomorrow though, as it's almost 10pm here.

--I guess I deserve this "stress" for not logging on to this forum 4x a day, everyday :D :D :D I should have seen that post!

Kalawang said:
Take it to Wizard on T. Morato Drexx. They're one of only 2 real car electricians I know of in our territory. The other one is somewhere on Quirino but I haven't found them yet regardless that I've made the trip a few times and searched diligently. I think you'll be alright at Wizard.

BTW, I also need some work on my CDL switch. Seems I jogged something loose on it last time I tried to climb a steep hill with JQ and am now in the process of traceing the lost connection. I should be ready for Wizard the end of this week so give me a call if you want me to show you the place.

Kalawang

23May2005 (UTC +8)

Thanks for the tip, Vic! I think IH8Mudders can help me out here, and a little bit of persistence. And factory service manuals and a wire tracer as well. :) The only reason why I don't want to go there is because of the insane road traffic from here to there.

I agree. Travel time for me is an hour, but I lose the whole day regardless. Probably because I have friends who hold office in that area and I normally kidnap them for lunch.

GBell210 sounds like he has your problem spot on and I would try that solution in your shoes. Unfortunately for me, I truly have to trace it all the way to find my solution. I wish I could find a good electrician in our neighborhood. All the ones I've tried so far caused more trouble instead.

Kalawang

drexx, what is up buddy.. you have to come down and join us over here again, well hopefully you get your CDL switch together, that is supposed to be a really simple mod :D (come on man :D ), as a matter of fact we are barely/finally going to put one in Navid's cruiser today. Well, see you soon.. Most likely you plugged it in a wrong place...

drexx said:
23May2005 (UTC +8)

DRexx,
I had made the similar mistake....make sure you find the white plug. you blow fuses other wise. Then again I also had other issues.

Compadre,

Stay out of electrical stuff. You are much better in front of a keyboard.
Leave those "electrical" tasks for people that know.
It's a good thing you are only working with 12V and low amps.

Regards

Alvaro

24May2005 (UTC +8)

Ola compadre!

alvarorb said:
Compadre,

Stay out of electrical stuff. You are much better in front of a keyboard.
Leave those "electrical" tasks for people that know.
It's a good thing you are only working with 12V and low amps.

But wait until you see my next mod, ultra 3rd-world cheap Bamboo Sliders (TM)!

Still figuring out the bugs though... they're supposed to be easily replaced with materials readily available, but they're not supposed to be *that* disposable...

Drexx,

Are the rocks really that soft in the Philipines? Just watchout for termites.
Here one for you: Why not make some pontoons and attch them to the sliders? It will help you stay a float in water.

Regards

Alvaro

alvarorb said:
Drexx,

Are the rocks really that soft in the Philipines? Just watchout for termites.
Here one for you: Why not make some pontoons and attch them to the sliders? It will help you stay a float in water.

Regards

Alvaro

Cool... water sliders! Never thought of that ;)

drexx said:
Cool... water sliders! Never thought of that ;)

Makes sense what with all the floods and mud we deal with...

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom