Frame Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1999 land cruiser with 147k miles on it. It’s been in the Midwest all it’s life and she has some pretty bad frame rust. I’m trying to figure out what to do with it. Has anyone swapped frames? If you have what other things did you run into and have to replace in the process? How much was the total cost of the swap?
11ADEC20-1E83-4064-9ED9-0B21C4122E94.jpeg

Can you still get a new frame? I think it would be better to sell it and buy another vehicle.

very compromised from the pic above.
my guess is the body is actually helping keep it together
are you still running that on the road?

I suspect you'd start the frame swap only to realize lots and lots of other parts are also rusted badly... and make the call to abandon the project. Then you're looking at a 6,000 lb. pile of Land Cruiser parts spread out over two bays wondering "Well *$%&@... now what?"

The swap if you are paying someone to do it would probably be north of 10k, just a wild guess. You would be better off finding a rust free 100 series with bad drive train and swap over the engine and transmission, even then, expensive to pay someone else to do. That can be repaired with a lot of welding, up to you if it's worth it. Many trucks when they reach this stage of their life are parted out.

I cannot even imagine the hours and hours a frame swap would take
... when every single nut, bolt, fastener is that rusted. Wrench to vice grips to torch to drill, repeat.

Check YouTube. I recall a video showing how Toyota swapped out the frame for a Tacoma recall because of rust.

The Tacoma frame thing is sorta unique. For the most part... just the frame rusted, it was wide spread (thousands of Tacomas) and early in the life of the truck. So the swap was/is comparatively easy and they turned the Frametron 3000 up to 11 to accommodate all those swaps.

There’s videos of people doing them on tacos and 4Rs. I’ve come to terms with my salty NE 4R (2uz still purrs at 227k no leaks, maybe they’d help protect it 🤣) and will run it until my mechanic and I feel it’s no longer safe. In the mean time I’ve just been looking for a rust free Hundy to replace it. We’re betting I got about 1-2 years. It’s just not worth the effort/money to try and restore it because we can’t get in the frame rails.

This makes me feel better about my crusty Midwest rig. My frame is rusted but not to that extent. Anything is fixable if you decide it’s worth it. I bought a 97 4Runner with 120k and in immaculate shape, outside of the classic frame rot. I bought a replacement frame portion, treated the frame, welded it in after some chopping out, repainted the frame, and she is still kicking out there. The big plus was I got it for $2500 and sold it for $7800, after $300 in parts. I have one spot on my 00 LC that needs chopped and plated, but it’s more preemptive than imperative.

I agree with the other posters above, that it would probably be cheaper/easier to find a replacement vehicle.

There’s a thread where @rampantwolf swapped his frame (along with a whole lot of other restoration:

I did it once a few years ago, but with two 80 series. One is an FZ and the other is an HDT. Fun times haha. It’s always the electrical/wiring that needs extra attention.

cut your losses and get into a 200 or buy a cleaner 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom