Fox Shox 2.0 post your valving and weight. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you that have the Fox Shox 2.0 could you post your valving and weight or what kind of added weight you have. I can't seem to find baseline valving numbers for the 80. I understand that everyone's driving and terrain is different. But if you have them post your valving and thoughts.

Down south motorsports in socal will custom valve them to your rig.
I think it's included in the price if you buy the shocks from them.

Subscribed.

Seriously thinking and wanting a set of reservoir shox but have to decide on springs first.

Base settings would be cool to have. Should shorten up the dial-in of the shock tuning

I have a set of 12" 2.0 RR's with CD adjusters from Downsouth.

My 80 is running 285/75 KM2's, sliders, steel bumpers (rear with custom swingout tyre carrier) Approx weight unladen is 2.8ton.

Use is a mix of trails, DD and overland trips.

Downsouths recommended the follwing valving:
Front 65/80
Rear 65/90

Unfortunetly can't comment on performance as I have only just recieved the coils for them:eek:. Hope to have everything on in April - Work commitments holding me up at the moment.:bang:

Thanks for the info guys. Im planning on going with Down south motorsports. Heres some info i posted on the thread in the Socal 80's section. The setup i'm looking at is 10" travel shocks for J springs and 1" front spacer. I have front and rear bumpers, winch,sliders and dual batteries. Heres a copy of the post i posted there.

" Sounds good, I did some research the last couple of days. I decided on getting these ones:

Fox 2.0 Factory Series Remote Reservoir Smooth Body Stem top Shocks 5/8" Shaft

I can use them front and back. I will either fab or buy some stem adapter for the front shocks. I see DS sells this same shock with modified stem mounts on E-bay.

Fox Shocks 2.0" remote reservoir 10" travel shocks with stem to stem mounting | eBay

However with a 4" lift these might be a tad too long in the front for the extended and collapsed length. So my only dilemma is the valving right now. Thanks again Cruisercouple!!!

Will Downsouth be able to help with my valving over the phone?"

I'm with Thomo on the driving style. I also sent a e-mail to DS today and got a quick response from Marco, looks like once i figure this out i'm gonna pull the trigger.

dsms

I asked for my 12" travel Fox 2.0 (front RR, rear 2.0 smooth) a "a little on the soft side" from Down South Motorsports.

They valved them at: 45/80 with 150 psi. Ride is pretty good, I haven't tried them out on the rough roads I hunt on yet, but I think they will be a HUGE improvement over the Billies I was running.

I have 37x12.5 R17's that have to weigh at least 100lbs each mounted. About 180lbs on the front with bumper/winch. 180lbs on rear with bumper and about 150 lbs of slider. No 3rd row seats installed.

I am working on a write up of my custom mounts right now. Stay tuned. I manged to get 5" up and 7" down in the rear and 6" up and 6" down in the front. Not that the Radius arms will acctually move that much.

BTW:

Downsouth Motorsports has excellent customer service and very fast turn around for a custom product. Mine usually show up in 5 days to my door from the time I place an order. They seem to know their stuff too and are cruiser savvy.

Excellent vendor.

I know this thread is a Fox shock thread but there is also another bolt on option for the 80 series and that is Radflo. They make either a 2.0/2.5 shock in smooth body or remote reservoir and are a direct bolt in unit. We had the shocks built to the L series spec and Radflo has the shocks custom valved to the 80 series. They also use a 7/8" shaft unlike fox that uses a 5/8" piston shaft.

Metal Tech 4x4 - Radflo

kmcoop7 said:
I am working on a write up of my custom mounts right now. Stay tuned. I manged to get 5" up and 7" down in the rear and 6" up and 6" down in the front. Not that the Radius arms will acctually move that much.

looking forward to seeing that as I may have to extend my mounts too to accommodate the 12" shocks.

I know this thread is a Fox shock thread but there is also another bolt on option for the 80 series and that is Radflo. They make either a 2.0/2.5 shock in smooth body or remote reservoir and are a direct bolt in unit. We had the shocks built to the L series spec and Radflo has the shocks custom valved to the 80 series. They also use a 7/8" shaft unlike fox that uses a 5/8" piston shaft.

Metal Tech 4x4 - Radflo

I was looking at those also, but they are more $$ compared to the fox. However for me it seems that Fox from DSM might be better suited for me. Those Radflos are nice. Thanks for the info LT.

Thomo, when are you getting yours together. I saw your post on the UK forum. What are "slinky" springs?

Subscribed.

Seriously thinking and wanting a set of reservoir shox but have to decide on springs first.

Base settings would be cool to have. Should shorten up the dial-in of the shock tuning

What size lift are you planning on?

Rwhat said:
Thomo, when are you getting yours together. I saw your post on the UK forum. What are "slinky" springs?

The "slinky's" are a progressive coil that yields a 3" lift. I purchased these from the UK distributer for ATS4x4.com. After waiting a really long time for these to be delivered I started looking into alternatives and Dobinsons Australia were able to match up ATS4x4's part no's with a 3" progressive coil that they do...

But in a nutshell they are a 3" lift coil with a progressive spring rate and significantly longer extended length than similar height lift coils. The idea being that you can go for a longer Travel setup. The "slinkies" are also sold in a complete kit with 12" travel shocks.

I'm aiming to have mine installed early April work dependant. Not sure yet how much fab work I may or may not be in for. There is a post on here somewhere by the owner of ATS4x4 stating that the slinkies are good for up to a 32" extended length shock. My 12" RR come on at 31" so i'll find out once they are on.

What size lift are you planning on?

Trying to figure that out. I would like to keep it low slung for a few reasons. I'd like to keep the CoG as low as possible. I've been lowering sports cars for decades and can appreciate low CoG.

I'm currently not lifted, but running 315s. Works good on the street, and okay on snow. Will see how it feels on sand later today (Oregon dunes). Exhaust drags on rocks and is annoying. Gonna over-frame the exhaust and cut n turn the cats in the next few weeks.

Slider-steps are on the list. Have airlift bags in the rear already, and a winch in the stock front bumper. Usually run without the 3rd row, but have a platform in the back (for the dawgs).

Also I'd like something low enough to sneak into an underground parking lot (say, 6'9") and have a stock roof rack.

Gotta slider it and then measure first, but ~2.5" should do the trick.

The 2.5" OMEs would work good. Plus there is weight options for the 2.5" springs. I got 2 other friends who are ready to order this coming week. Hopefully I can get a group discount.

Baddabump

What dimension shocks to go with ome medium springs? If you're using 10" with J springs & spacers will the same shox work properly with the 2.5" springs?

Baddabump

What dimension shocks to go with ome medium springs? If you're using 10" with J springs & spacers will the same shox work properly with the 2.5" springs?

The 10" Fox Stem/Stem up front should work well. 27" extended and 17" compressed. Should give you about 5" up and 5" down.

For the rear you can use the 10" with stem top and eye bottom. Howeve you should measure you static length and see if the 10" will leave you with enough compression. I ran the 10" eye/eye with a upper stud adapter and have about 4" of available compression.

I got mine from down south also. I've revalved mine about a dozen times so far. Tuned without sway bars, stock rear sway bar, now tuning with hd rear sway bar. Single and double bleeds. Different nitrogen pressures and altered rebound. Also now playing with custom bleeds. There is lots of different configurations. And it's all personal preference.

My rig is stock weight, aside from a 2" lift and 285 AT's. No armor, roof racks, tools, etc. I run my E load range tires at 45psi on the street.

I am currently running 65/80 front and 65/90 rear (as recommended by DSM) and this valving is definitely too stiff for a stock weight truck. It feels only marginally better than the TJM XGS shocks that were on there before. Imperfections in the road surface are transmitted to the body rather than being absorbed by the suspension.

Side Note - Reading through numerous threads, I have noticed that Downsouth's valving recommendations appear somewhat inconsistent. "Thomo" has steel bumpers front and rear with sliders, yet received the identical valving recommendation I did. Back in 2011, "kmcoop7" and "bikeman" mention shocks with compression in the 35-45 range, also from DSM. When I asked Neil at Downsouth about this on the phone, he said those valving numbers were ridiculous for an 80. "Bikeman" has also mentioned that 30/90 valving "is in the ballpark for the Cruiser, according to 2 different techs at Fox". Please don't interpret this as an attack on Downsouth! I have had an excellent business experience with them, and anyone buying high end shocks should accept that optimizing valving takes trial and error. Just be aware that there are MANY variables affecting what constitutes "proper" valving, and personal opinion is one of them. Do your homework, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!

My rig is stock weight, aside from a 2" lift and 285 AT's. No armor, roof racks, tools, etc. I run my E load range tires at 45psi on the street.

I am currently running 65/80 front and 65/90 rear (as recommended by DSM) and this valving is definitely too stiff for a stock weight truck. It feels only marginally better than the TJM XGS shocks that were on there before. Imperfections in the road surface are transmitted to the body rather than being absorbed by the suspension.

Side Note - Reading through numerous threads, I have noticed that Downsouth's valving recommendations appear somewhat inconsistent. "Thomo" has steel bumpers front and rear with sliders, yet received the identical valving recommendation I did. Back in 2011, "kmcoop7" and "bikeman" mention shocks with compression in the 35-45 range, also from DSM. When I asked Neil at Downsouth about this on the phone, he said those valving numbers were ridiculous for an 80. "Bikeman" has also mentioned that 30/90 valving "is in the ballpark for the Cruiser, according to 2 different techs at Fox". Please don't interpret this as an attack on Downsouth! I have had an excellent business experience with them, and anyone buying high end shocks should accept that optimizing valving takes trial and error. Just be aware that there are MANY variables affecting what constitutes "proper" valving, and personal opinion is one of them. Do your homework, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!

Would you please expand on the TJM XGS comments? This was on my list of possibilities as well as the Fox. I know no comparrison but all things are worth a look.

Buck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom