Found Water In Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just waiting patiently...

3FC81976-1B28-48AE-B7AD-A56515C1FEE5-243-00000038F821117E_zps726011c9.jpg

Drilling and re-plugging the oil galley with 1/8" NPT...

Pilot hole

Popped loose

Tapping it slow and steady...

And finished off with some JB Weld...

Hey Aaron, I'm pretty ignorant in this area. What's the point of tapping and filling the oil galley? Is that a weak point historically? Why not just find a threaded plug to put in there vs. the JB Weld? I'm not even 100% sure what the oil galley does, so excuse an stupid questions/comments.

Hey Aaron, I'm pretty ignorant in this area. What's the point of tapping and filling the oil galley? Is that a weak point historically? Why not just find a threaded plug to put in there vs. the JB Weld? I'm not even 100% sure what the oil galley does, so excuse an stupid questions/comments.

my understanding is that the oil galley plug on the 3fe has a bad habit of just falling out one day and peeing all of your oil onto the pavement.

That is a threaded plug - he's just using the jb-weld as a thread sealer. Which is not a bad idea.

my understanding is that the oil galley plug on the 3fe has a bad habit of just falling out one day and peeing all of your oil onto the pavement.

That is a threaded plug - he's just using the jb-weld as a thread sealer. Which is not a bad idea.

What he said...

The hole is drilled to create a galley from the oil supply to the rocker assembly. The exterior hole is then plugged with aluminum, and has a tendency to fail. This is a good idea as a preventative.

I used a brass NPT plug with JB Weld to hold it in place, hopefully eternally...

Gotcha! Looked like a glob of JB weld in there. That's what was confusing me. Good job.

Got my box o' parts in from Cruiser Dan. What a pleasure to deal with. Local place wanted $180 for the headgasket alone, and that was AFTER a discount. Got it for around $120 from CDan...

Box is currently being guarded...

I'm doing a full blown de-smog while I'm at it as well, so I threw the plugs in where the air injectors were...

As with anything, there's always a Toyota SST needed...

Although I believe this one is only available in Texas... :beer:

Last edited:
Cruiser Dan. What a pleasure to deal with.

Though all knowing, all intuitive, wiser than dirt, highly respected, undisputed Toyota Parts Shaman of the free world, your description makes me question if you were possibly talking to an imposter.

Regardless, that term you used and CDan can't be used in the same sentence, ever again, please. (I couldn't even bring myself to type it!!)

One other place I would look to see if you have an issue for coolant ingress is under the side cover. Since you have torn all this apart any how, remove the side cover and inspect the freeze plugs behind this area. I have heard of, but never seen the freeze plug move in this area, but it can be possiable. There are 3-4 freeze plugs in this area. I have had a couple of people write to me in the past, after doing a full rebuild and forgetting these freeze plugs and finding coolant in the oil pan.
In looking at the one picture of the tops of the pistons, #5 looked to have less carbon, not being there, hard to really tell. Was the piston on that cylinder almost clean? like coolant ingress. Maybe a crack in the cylinder bore if there is no visual on the Head gasket, or cracks in the head.
Good luck

Though all knowing, all intuitive, wiser than dirt, highly respected, undisputed Toyota Parts Shaman of the free world, your description makes me question if you were possibly talking to an imposter.

Regardless, that term you used and CDan can't be used in the same sentence, ever again, please. (I couldn't even bring myself to type it!!)

Although brash and to the point, I don't find that "unpleasant." In fact, I prefer it. He even called me back because he thought he had missed my call.

One other place I would look to see if you have an issue for coolant ingress is under the side cover. Since you have torn all this apart any how, remove the side cover and inspect the freeze plugs behind this area. I have heard of, but never seen the freeze plug move in this area, but it can be possiable. There are 3-4 freeze plugs in this area. I have had a couple of people write to me in the past, after doing a full rebuild and forgetting these freeze plugs and finding coolant in the oil pan.
In looking at the one picture of the tops of the pistons, #5 looked to have less carbon, not being there, hard to really tell. Was the piston on that cylinder almost clean? like coolant ingress. Maybe a crack in the cylinder bore if there is no visual on the Head gasket, or cracks in the head.
Good luck

Cracked wall... boy I hope not.

I will check out the side cover. I got a gasket for it, so it was going to come off at some point anyway...

Although brash and to the point, I don't find that "unpleasant." In fact, I prefer it. He even called me back because he thought he had missed my call.

I do, too, and stated for CDan's amusement, in all honesty.

All for the sake of humor, sir.

As you can see in sig, (I can't currently) I have a particular affinity for the wise old man.

Wasn't picking on your choice of words, either, since I appreciate your ability to properly punctuate, spell, and develop a cohesive structure.

It's been my pleasure jacking your thread.

Chris

An FYI

powderpig (Robbie Antonson) is the foremost authority on 80s and there may be only a few on this continent that have amassed the experience he has.

Listen intently, because his prognosis are spot on.

I do, too, and stated for CDan's amusement, in all honesty.

All for the sake of humor, sir.

As you can see in sig, (I can't currently) I have a particular affinity for the wise old man.

Wasn't picking on your choice of words, either, since I appreciate your ability to properly punctuate, spell, and develop a cohesive structure.

It's been my pleasure jacking your thread.

Chris

Ha, no problem at all. I am and continue to be a crusader for proper grammar and sworn enemy of all "text shorthand."

An FYI

powderpig (Robbie Antonson) is the foremost authority on 80s and there may be only a few on this continent that have amassed the experience he has.

Listen intently, because his prognosis are spot on.

Noted.

Just wondering, did you find any of your exhaust manifold bolts stripped in the tear down? Love this write up, thank you!

You are not alone.

:beer:

Wuch U 2 takin bout?

Seemz yuz land cruiser bunch are up it e.

Shudder...

Just wondering, did you find any of your exhaust manifold bolts stripped in the tear down? Love this write up, thank you!

I thankfully had zero issues (broken or stripped) with any of the exhaust manifold bolts or studs. I soaked all the nuts and bolts I could reach with penetrating oil the night before, and the morning of. The only problems were the flange nuts from the manifold to the down-pipes.

For these, I attacked them with every penetrating oil I had, including some "freeze-off" which didn't really get very cold... :rolleyes:

I got to these from below the truck using my 3", 6", and 10" extensions all put end to end to reach. This allowed me to usually brace them against part of the frame and get decent leverage.

I was cracking up while laying under the truck, though, because every time one of the nuts finally broke loose, all 3 extensions and socket would explode apart, raining down on top of me with a loud "PING!!!". It was pretty entertaining...

By the way, since I'll be pulling the distributor for the side cover access, what is the best way to pull the distributor on a 3FE? Set engine to TDC, then R&R the distro in the same position?

As long as the engine doesn't get rolled over I just mark where the distributor and rotor are and install in same position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom