Found some disconnected wires in my 105 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL. That's great to hear.

Could you take a photo of the entire dash (perhaps from the back seat) please? I'll try to help as much as I can once we can see your dash/gear levers etc.

I'd take a photo of mine for you but I have an electrical problem that's lighting up many of the warning symbols on the dash so that would be confusing to a new 105 owner

When i engage to 4H and 4L I got a green light on my dash, but no other light when I engage to 4L. No new light on the dashboard probably because of that disconnected sensor wire. I don't have any center diff lock dedicated switch on my dashboard
Poverty pack 105 don't come with touch button cdl switch on dash. The cdl light icon turns on when you engage from 2H to 4H or 4L. There are only few switch in dashbord of standard 105. Some switches are for AC and heater control and one switch for sub tank. 4H and 4L works only when you lock the front wheel manual hub locks.
Forgot to tell you that some of those harnesses that are not plugged in to anything is for airbag sensors and some other fancy options that toyota land cruiser cygnus has.
Toyota always install the wiring in all trim levels of land cruiser but depending on trim level they only give you those feature what you have paid for.

Last edited:
LOL. That's great to hear.

Could you take a photo of the entire dash (perhaps from the back seat) please? I'll try to help as much as I can once we can see your dash/gear levers etc.

I'd take a photo of mine for you but I have an electrical problem that's lighting up many of the warning symbols on the dash so that would be confusing to a new 105 owner

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-03 at 7.36.09 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-03 at 7.36.09 PM.jpeg

Poverty pack 105 don't come with touch button cdl switch on dash. The cdl light icon turns on when you engage from 2H to 4H or 4L. There are only few switch in dashbord of standard 105. Some switches are for AC and heater control and one switch for sub tank. 4H and 4L works only when you lock the front wheel manual hub locks.
Forgot to tell you that some of those harnesses that are not plugged in to anything is for airbag sensors and some other fancy options that toyota land cruiser cygnus has.
Toyota always install the wiring in all trim levels of land cruiser but depending on trim level they only give you those feature what you have paid for.
This 105 is UN spec, can you tell me what's with the transfer case wire disconnection ? the sensor is there but not connected

This 105 is UN spec, can you tell me what's with the transfer case wire disconnection ? the sensor is there but not connected
Connect the wires and see it for yourself. It's not going to flyaway by plugging those wires. I also have 2005 UN Spec 105 but I am thousands of miles away from it. Here are few photos from the engine bay but I doubt it will help.
IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_3940.jpg
IMG_3942.jpg

Connect the wires and see it for yourself. It's not going to flyaway by plugging those wires. I also have 2005 UN Spec 105 but I am thousands of miles away from it. Here are few photos from the engine bay but I doubt it will help.
View attachment 3209162View attachment 3209164View attachment 3209165
View attachment 3209162View attachment 3209164View attachment 3209165
Thanks, can you show me around the brake booster plug and transfer case wiring? transfer case wiring is not there only that sensor in transfer case don't know where to connect that back in

No he can not.

His vehicle is not anywhere near him.

Good luck but try for yourself a bit. It can be rewarding.

No he can not.

His vehicle is not anywhere near him.

Good luck but try for yourself a bit. It can be rewarding.
I can try no problem with that, I fixed most of my 105 mechanical issues. I am asking for suggestions because I don't know much about the electrical stuff, I don't want to rost my car's electricals with my mistake

Does your 105 have manual locking front hubs? If so, and considering the "H2" option on your selector lever, I'm guessing your vehicle doesn't actually have a centre differential. Or at least not one that can be engaged/disengaged.

One way to check is to jack the wheels off the tarmac and spin the propshafts with the selector lever in H2, and again in H4 (I'd do it with ignition ON in case the lever also initiates some electrical actuation). If spinning one propshaft always results in positive drive to the other propshaft, then there is no centre diff.

Alternatively, it may have a CDL installed, but it's been actuated to the locked position and is now permanently engaged (which is a possibility for a UN vehicle. i.e. a cheap and lazy way to make a part-time-4WD out of a constant-4WD driveline, once you add manual locking hubs)

If the vehicle did have a centre differential it wouldn't provide drive to the rear axle with the front hubs unlocked, until the centre diff was locked. It's the same when you remove the front propshaft from a constant 4WD model; you need to lock the CDL to send drive to the rear. The centre diff sends all torque to the wheel/axle/propshaft with the least resistance unless it's locked.

Kamran Khan states that his vehicle illuminates the CDL light (yellow?) when he selects 4WD. You say you have a green light. I'm thinking both are best described as "4WD Engaged" lights, not CDL warnings. Toyota may have gone to the green light to reduce confusion.

Part of the UN-spec build might be to install the sensor on the transfer case (so oil doesn't run out) but cut the wires so there is no erroneous dash warning (in your case a green 4WD light PLUS a yellow CDL light). Also saves having to supply a specific blanking plug for a limited quantity of UN vehicles.

And, don't assume all the UN-spec 105s were built the same.....

Last edited:
Does your 105 have manual locking front hubs? If it does, and considering the "H2" option on your selector lever, I'm guessing your vehicle doesn't actually have a centre differential. Or at least not one that can be engaged/disengaged.

One way to check is to jack the wheels off the tarmac and spin the propshafts with the ignition ON and the selector lever in H2, and again in H4. If spinning one propshaft always results in positive drive to the other propshaft, then there is no centre diff. Either that, or the centre diff is permanently engaged (which is a possibility for a UN vehicle. i.e. a cheap and lazy way to make them part-time- 4WD once you add manual locking hubs)

If the vehicle did have a CDL it wouldn't provide drive to the rear with the front hubs unlocked, unless the CDL was locked. It's the same as when you remove the front propshaft from a constant 4WD model; you need to lock the CDL to send drive to the rear.

Kamran Khan states that his vehicle illuminates the CDL light when he selects 4WD. You say you have a green light. I'm thinking both are best described as "4WD Engaged" lights, not CDL warnings. Toyota may have gone to the green light to reduce confusion.

Part of the UN spec build might be to install the sensor on the transfer case (so oil doesn't run out) but cut the wires so there is no erroneous dash warning (in your case a green 4WD light PLUS a yellow CDL light). Also saves having to supply a specific blanking plug for a limited quantity of UN vehicles.

But this is all guesswork on my part.....
I don't exactly remember what symbol appears on instrument cluster when I switch the small gear lever from 2 H to 4H or 4L but as far as I remember it's a similar icon when you turn on CDL button on the dashboard of expensive land cruisers.
It has front manaul locking hubs and I am not sure if the rear is LSD or just open diff. I have never had chance to explore this car ever since I bought it in 2019 and have hardly driven it 500 km ever since I bought it but i do recall a light coming on after engaging into 4H and 4L.

Does your 105 have manual locking front hubs? If so, and considering the "H2" option on your selector lever, I'm guessing your vehicle doesn't actually have a centre differential. Or at least not one that can be engaged/disengaged.

One way to check is to jack the wheels off the tarmac and spin the propshafts with the selector lever in H2, and again in H4 (I'd do it with ignition ON in case the lever also initiates some electrical actuation). If spinning one propshaft always results in positive drive to the other propshaft, then there is no centre diff.

Alternatively, it may have a CDL installed, but it's been actuated to the locked position and is now permanently engaged (which is a possibility for a UN vehicle. i.e. a cheap and lazy way to make a part-time-4WD out of a constant-4WD driveline, once you add manual locking hubs)

If the vehicle did have a centre differential it wouldn't provide drive to the rear axle with the front hubs unlocked, until the centre diff was locked. It's the same when you remove the front propshaft from a constant 4WD model; you need to lock the CDL to send drive to the rear. The centre diff sends all torque to the wheel/axle/propshaft with the least resistance unless it's locked.

Kamran Khan states that his vehicle illuminates the CDL light (yellow?) when he selects 4WD. You say you have a green light. I'm thinking both are best described as "4WD Engaged" lights, not CDL warnings. Toyota may have gone to the green light to reduce confusion.

Part of the UN-spec build might be to install the sensor on the transfer case (so oil doesn't run out) but cut the wires so there is no erroneous dash warning (in your case a green 4WD light PLUS a yellow CDL light). Also saves having to supply a specific blanking plug for a limited quantity of UN vehicles.

And, don't assume all the UN-spec 105s were built the same.....
LC100InstrumentGX.jpg

Please check this photo and tell me if that is icon for cdl or something else?

Hmmm, I believe the two red icons are for front and rear diff locks. They should have an enlarged dot denoting front or rear.
The yellow one is for centre diff lock - it has the larger dot over the centre of the icon.
I expect the green icon is used for part-time 4WD models and denotes transfer case 4WD engagement (high or low, and maybe neutral)

I further expect that a vehicle would illuminate the green, OR the yellow, but not both. Yellow on constant-4WD (full-time 4WD) models, green on part-time 4WD models.

Mechanically, the 105 is closer to the late 80 series than the 100 series. I took the following from my 80 series handbook which might help:

This shows the enlarged circles on the diff lock engagement icons. Also shows the '4WD' as it appears on an 80 series (in green)

IMG_2025.jpg

This page shows the part-time 4WD engagement - lever type. Which is what JeffKerala has.
IMG_2026.jpg

This describes the shifting procedure. While it's not really highlighted, note the comment about engaging 4WD on the move: "with both free-wheeling hubs engaged."

IMG_2027.jpg

Mechanically, the 105 is closer to the late 80 series than the 100 series. I took the following from my 80 series handbook which might help:

This shows the enlarged circles on the diff lock engagement icons. Also shows the '4WD' as it appears on an 80 series (in green)

View attachment 3210639

This page shows the part-time 4WD engagement - lever type. Which is what JeffKerala has.
View attachment 3210640

This describes the shifting procedure. While it's not really highlighted, note the comment about engaging 4WD on the move: "with both free-wheeling hubs engaged."

View attachment 3210641
Do you have access to pdf owner manual of 80 series? Ever since I bought this 105 TLC I looked for it's owner manual for Manual gearbox version of 105 series on Australian eBay but I can't find it.

when I engage the small lever to 4L or 4H a green light comes to my dashboard, not red lights

Do you have access to pdf owner manual of 80 series? Ever since I bought this 105 TLC I looked for it's owner manual for Manual gearbox version of 105 series on Australian eBay but I can't find it.
I don't, sorry, but it might be available on LCOOL.org, if that site ever comes back up.

Try these guys. They also part out wrecks and are bound to have found one with the handbook still in the glovebox: allfourx4 - https://www.allfourx4.com.au/?cawelaid=720017010000076250&catrk=spfid-1&caagid=49534825564&catci=aud-460344527247:kwd-375293925066&capcid=228540905477&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw4avaBRBPEiwA_ZetYhsVmpmB-XnEvRPcDoaXzbYW6DtgNmEpkUdMLW8fnb0s_RPU86I5fxoCu9kQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom