Ford ford excursion any good (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what are your thoughts on a turbo diesel ford excursion for reliabilty?
can it be used for moderate trails with just a simple lift?
tell me what you think.
their resale value is so bad it is tempting to buy one?
any info on the v10/
thanks

The excursion is not, nor shall it ever be a trail rig. It makes a great tow rig and large family hauler. The ONLY way I'd ever own one would be with the turbodiesel. But honestly, I much prefer all things Cummins.

its a ferd....ferd rhymes with____.....think about it.

.....can you name the truck with 4wd, big as a house and seats 35....
CANYONAEROOOOOOOOOOOO

might as well just get a F-350 turbo diesel. Seats 6 and is about the same size, and c'mon its a TRUCK!! not a soccer mom cruiser the decision should be clear. :flipoff2:

WristPin said:
briother and law lifced his 6 invhes.
i n my toyota i had 2 inchws bweetre ground clearance rtthn him. g fawk ford and fawk wastijn g money o n them,..

Been drinkning tonight???;)

Yes go for it. they are dirt cheap now with the fuel prices so high, Before that they were not that strong. Great family and tow rig as others have stated, Same thing as a Super Duty crew cab short box. Level kit and tires and your ready.

V10 is a horrible motor that burns oil after 70k,

6.0 is a great motor and the only issues are the cam sensors are junk. Buy an extra and learn how to install it on the road. 100k mile warranty and the turbos are cheap $600 ish and take 30 minutes to r&r.

My 7.3 was a good rig and never had any issues.

Go to www.dieselpage.com and buy a reprogrammer.

My .02

I don't know about the reliability, but agree the diesel is the way to go so you get decent mileage. Do not even begin to think of it as an off road rig. Fire roads, snow, light expedition wheeling, okay, but they are very heavy, have a horrible turning radius, are extremely large, and have way to much crap hanging down (tire rocks below the front axle) to wheel.

WristPin said:
briother and law lifced his 6 invhes.
i n my toyota i had 2 inchws bweetre ground clearance rtthn him. g fawk ford and fawk wastijn g money o n them,..

What in the flying fxxx was that?

-Spike

-Spike- said:
What in the flying **** was that?

-Spike

Huh, hicccc-uupppp

ronin-0707 said:
what are your thoughts on a turbo diesel ford excursion for reliabilty?
can it be used for moderate trails with just a simple lift?
tell me what you think.
their resale value is so bad it is tempting to buy one?
any info on the v10/
thanks

Call all your local dealers and ask for service. Ask who has been there the longest and ask him what he see's most often or go in and ask a tech.

Ebay is a great place to buy these. Texas they are cheap!!! Buy from a dealer, you get car fax, safety inspections and they cant retail it if it has issues.

mancinator said:
.....can you name the truck with 4wd, big as a house and seats 35....
CANYONAEROOOOOOOOOOOO

one of the best episodes EVER.

-Spike- said:
What in the flying fxxx was that?

-Spike

Toynado stole his login details:flipoff2::D

They suck fuel like nobodies business so they should be cheap. The V-10s and V-8s have a tendancy to blow the plugs out of the heads. You will want a warranty for the life of the vehicle as Ford does not officially recognise that as a problem.
The diesels have had some trans and turbo issues.

Bill Ford himself said nobody needs a vehicle as big as the excretion

I'd take Gumby's advice....but to answer your question...a wheeler? No rocks and trails...Expedition vehicle?

I was watching Fuel TV and a pro surfer and his brother tricked one out to the gills, it was set up for supporting a group of four for a month....they took it on a tour, mostly totally off-road down the baja coast surfing and camping on the beach...

It was named "Hurricane Hunter" or something corny, but it was decked out to the nines....They must've bought an expensive rig and dumped another 20K into it easy.....

NOT a wheeler, unless you like to get really stuck. I don't take my F-150 off road ever, because even in the Heep, I saw more messed up full size trucks stuck, than the heeps. My truck super crew, weighs in at 6000 lbs empty, with a 19 foot length. The wheel base is close to 14 FT (guessing). No telling what the excursion weighs. The only really good thing about the excursion other than it's massive mover abitlity, is a solid front axle. I like the diesel too. So I guess that makes three good things.

P.S. Getting some bites on the Ford now. Just waitin' for the right deal... I'm seeing all kinds of FZJ's with lockers. Shocks me that the avg. owner seller here doesn't know what that little knob does on the dash next to the steering wheel... I think I'll tell them that will knock a thousand off their selling price, at the least.

Oh that knob, well thats the overdrive switch on the less expensive LC's. You mean you haven't been using that? I'll have some work to do on the tranny, so hows $3000 do for that from the south, white, '97 FZJ, with 100,000 miles...:D

Had a 2001 7.3 Diesel before my 80.

A few observations:

Loved the turbo diesel !!!! maybe not as much as a cummins but don't even bother test driving a gas version. Logged every drop of fuel/oil for 52K miles. Best tank was 22.3 MPG, worst tank was 16 MPG. Overall average was 17.7 MPG. Didn't pull anything heavy and drove it for millage most of the time.

Stock suspensions need help(just like an 80), good shocks, a rear sway bar and F250 springs smarten the ride right up.

Reliability wise I had no issues. The tranny's behind the 7.3's are a known weakness however.

Size wize an Excursion is the same size as a long box standard cab Ford truck. Theay are in fact shorter than the super and crew cabs. Verified with a tape measure !

Very comfortable on long trips, great in the snow, even stock they perfom very well. The only game in town if you want a diesel SUV.

Final thoughts: my 1996 134K mile FZJ80 has less rattles and is tighter than my brand new Excursion was. Loved it however and would still own it if we had not decided to buy a rental house a few year back.

thanks for the replies
yup, was thinking more expedition type runs
it seems the turbo diesel is the way to go
there are a few on ebay that can be had as low as 10k-that's the only reason it is interesting to me
anyhow then again it is a ford-just thinking and asking out loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom