for sale: 89 FJ62 with blown engine (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Exiled said:
Same here, what's "rough" to you? I'm looking for a project truck, to do some major mods. How does it ride? I'm in Austin.

Here's everything I know:

He bought it from a ranch somewhere around here. It was used on the ranch for about 15 years. The interior and exterior reflects that- there are some interior paint stains on the panels and carpet. The rear carpet is missing. Most of the trim and panels are intact. All the dash equipment- instruments, etc. seems to work well. There is an aftermarket cassette deck which is not working. Aftermarket antenna. The headliner has been replaced, but it is pulling loose in some areas along the trim.

The exterior body is good shape. Except for the roof which has some dents, there is no major body damage. The only body rust I saw was around a couple of door edges from chips in the paint. The frame, exhaust, and wheels do have some surface rust.

The odometer has 110,00 miles, and the engine runs good, but is a little rough when idling. It appears that all the emissions equipment is in place. The clutch and transmission seem to work very good. The hubs engage easily, and 4 hi and low work well, with no unusual sounds even in tight turns.

The front knuckles are a bit leaky, but not excessive. The front left hub is leaking slightly. The suspension looks and feels original. Saggy springs and all.

On the highway, the engine runs good. I haven't taken it over 55, though. The tires are worn Buckshot Maxxis Mudders, with about 30% wear left for A/T tires.

The inspection is not current, and the title has not been transferred since he bought it, but he does have the signed title.

The winch is a Warn 8274. It apparently works- he said they pulled a car onto a trailer with it.

I have not driven many 60 series, but I would consider this one if it was going to be a second project vehicle.

I was looking at it to compare with this one:

http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/05032006_gb.html

The 81 is mechanically in excellent condition, but has body rust on the quarter panels and severe paint damage on the left rear panel.

Let me know if you need any other info. I don't have easy access to digital pics, or I'd post some.

Scott

Last edited:
hank14 said:

The 81 is mechanically in excellent condition, but has body rust on the quarter panels and severe paint damage on the left rear panel.

Let me know if you need any other info. I don't have easy access to digital pics, or I'd post some.

Scott

i also have my eye on that one. Have you seen it?? What was your opinions on it?

BlueBoxFJ60 said:
i also have my eye on that one. Have you seen it?? What was your opinions on it?

The guy absolutely loves the thing. He has put over $10K in repairs and maintenance over 9 years- a testament to what maintaining these rigs really costs. If it weren't for the rust, I would have bought it Friday. I'm still considering it anyways, and I think the price is firm. He already has his FJ cruiser and isn't in a financial pinch.

It drove pretty good, but the steering was somewhat sloppy, and the front brakes shimmied some. The springs look original, but he said the PO put in an Add-a-leaf. HD Bilstein shocks help with the bounce. It idles and runs very smooth, cold a/c.

It is definitely a project vehicle, but could suffice as a DD.

hank14 said:
Here's everything I know:

He bought it from a ranch somewhere around here. It was used on the ranch for about 15 years. The interior and exterior reflects that- there are some interior paint stains on the panels and carpet. The rear carpet is missing. Most of the trim and panels are intact. All the dash equipment- instruments, etc. seems to work well. There is an aftermarket cassette deck which is not working. Aftermarket antenna. The headliner has been replaced, but it is pulling loose in some areas along the trim.

The exterior body is good shape. Except for the roof which has some dents, there is no major body damage. The only body rust I saw was around a couple of door edges from chips in the paint. The frame, exhaust, and wheels do have some surface rust.

The odometer has 110,00 miles, and the engine runs good, but is a little rough when idling. It appears that all the emissions equipment is in place. The clutch and transmission seem to work very good. The hubs engage easily, and 4 hi and low work well, with no unusual sounds even in tight turns.

The front knuckles are a bit leaky, but not excessive. The front left hub is leaking slightly. The suspension looks and feels original. Saggy springs and all.

On the highway, the engine runs good. I haven't taken it over 55, though. The tires are crappy, with about 30% wear left for A/T tires.

The inspection is not current, and the title has not been transferred since he bought it, but he does have the signed title.

The winch is a Warn 8274. It apparently works- he said they pulled a car onto a trailer with it.

I have not driven many 60 series, but I would consider this one if it was going to be a second project vehicle.

Scott

I forgot to state that the A/C is not working. He thinks it is the controller (I don't know what it is) mounted to the firewall.

hank14 said:
The guy absolutely loves the thing. He has put over $10K in repairs and maintenance over 9 years- a testament to what maintaining these rigs really costs. If it weren't for the rust, I would have bought it Friday. I'm still considering it anyways, and I think the price is firm. He already has his FJ cruiser and isn't in a financial pinch.

It drove pretty good, but the steering was somewhat sloppy, and the front brakes shimmied some. The springs look original, but he said the PO put in an Add-a-leaf. HD Bilstein shocks help with the bounce. It idles and runs very smooth, cold a/c.

how serius is the rust? he sent me pics of the rear quarter panel but non of the rust. is it severe, frame, surface, body etc...?

I forgot to state that the A/C is not working. He thinks it is the controller (I don't know what it is) mounted to the firewall.
Doubtfull...you could always pull a cap off the compressor and see if there's any freon in it. This would be a deal breaker for me...too damned hot here, and I never get a/c working right for under 500 bucks. Compressors for these ain't cheap...by the time it's installed, new expansion valve, all that crap, evacuated, tested, and charged...at least for ME it's $500 ever damn time!

Please contact me if you want interior shots. My attachment allocation is full.

Texx said:
Doubtfull...you could always pull a cap off the compressor and see if there's any freon in it. This would be a deal breaker for me...too damned hot here, and I never get a/c working right for under 500 bucks. Compressors for these ain't cheap...by the time it's installed, new expansion valve, all that crap, evacuated, tested, and charged...at least for ME it's $500 ever damn time!

That may very well be true. Just to clarify, it's the 1983 that is in Granbury that has the non-functional A/C.

The 81 in Lewisville is mechanically excellent, but has rust.

hank14 said:

hank14 said:
The 81 in Lewisville is mechanically excellent, but has rust.

what is the seriousness/ extent of the rust?he sent pics of the rear quarter panel but none of the rust, just mentioned some minimal surface rust. is it severe, frame, surface, body etc...?

thanks

BlueBoxFJ60 said:
how serius is the rust? he sent me pics of the rear quarter panel but non of the rust. is it severe, frame, surface, body etc...?

Serious enough that I am really waffling on whether it's a good deal or not. Small amounts of rust through the edge of the outer sheet metal on the right rear wheel well. Small amounts of rust under the rear window. There are a couple of dings in the roof from minor hail damage that are surface rusted as well. The left rear panel looks like hell (paint palling off from crappy re-paint), and has some filler.

The headliner is trashed.

How about a trade for a F250-350, or Dodge, standard cab, 4wd diesel. If it's old with a bunch of miles, throw in a Corolla and we'll call it good. ;)

You want a straight trade, right? I mean it doesn't sound like you're looking for a trade up deal where you'd put your truck and a bunch of money into getting the truck you want.

How did you manage to get that truck smogged, BTW?

I have a '95 Powerstroke crew cab with 116k on the ticker....but it's only 2wd...let me know if you have any interest...

bk

Wanted: $3k Vehicle (no longer needed)

Looking for a reliable $3k or less vehicle. Must be capable of an 80 mile round trip daily drive 5 days a week for the next 1 year and have working A/C. Fuel efficient preferred but not necessary. Automatic and cruise control a plus but not required. Ideally within 4 hours of St. Louis. If you have one or have any leads to pass on it is much appreciated.

thanks.

trade

i have the body minus the front passenger fender and radiator support. There is a little rust around the wheel wells but nothing horrible but the rear quarter panels is rusted out pretty good. I might be able to get it delivered down to FL from NC if you are still interested. oh yeah and i can get some pics to.

I have a vehicle I've been meaning to list for months now that fits the bill. The only requirement that doesn't fit is the distance unfortunately - I'm more like 10 hours away.

PM if you want more info.

Hey Guys!

I am the owner of the '83 in Granbury. I think Hank14's review is pretty spot on for my Cruiser. I will look into a couple of things that he pointed out. As for the a/c I was told by a local shop that the expansion valve was bad. When I got it I was told that the a/c was working but the fan was not so I couldn't do anything except check the compressor for function. I fixed the fan but the a/c didn't blow cold. The compressor and clutch work and don't make any noise, and you can see freon in the sight glass on the dryer. The valve is $38 and I was quoted $150 to install it and recharge the system. It also needs a muffler and tailpipe, along with a gaskit where the smog tube mounts to the exhaust manifold. That is pretty much it other than cosmetics. I can't see any reason it couldn't be a DD with very little work. Hank14 also told me that in the 3 days he has had it there was no evidence of leaks on his driveway.

I have been looking for a 70's Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 for quite a while. I missed the only one I have found in my range a few months ago so I bought this to play with. Well I have run across another one but I have to sell the cruiser first. I really don't want to miss this one so......

First guy to make me a decent offer will get my cruiser! The truck I want to buy is in San Antonio. I will deliver the Cruiser anywhere along the way for FREE!

If you want to know more about me just Google my name! My website is www.voodooinside.com

Thanks!
Larry Chew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom