*Folding Bow* FST Soft Tops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
Toyota had a kinda rare version of the FST. This soft top was folded down when not in use unlike the regular FST that needed to be completely removed.

The bows them selves are kinda like the 25 series A type bows

Is there anybody here that has one of these or knows of where one is to take pictures of the inside and more detailed pictures?

here are the pictures i have ... and the only truck that i know of i found on the net ages ago.
bj41kyc2.JPG
fj43.jpg
fj43 1.jpg
kyc%20side%20top.JPG
oem bows.jpg

Johnny,

Interesting--I had seen the factory photos of that blue JDM 44 years ago, too.

Puzzled--you say it folds down and stays in the truck, but don't you also have to pull out the B-pillars and an upper rear door/flap frame, and then the canvas just lays on the floor in the back of the truck--kinda like a 40-series convertible?

Is this design similar to the Can-back canvas pickup bed camper shells they used to make in any way?

How does that right rear door/flap work, since it looks to have a full rear tailgate, not separate doors?

Would this design also work with the dual ambo-C rear doors?

Thx for sharing your research--it would be interesting to see a photo of this top in the down position.

That is AWESOME! I love that flap in the back, look like you could take the tailgate down, unzip the flap and have easy access into the back. Very cool.

Johnny where did you get the pictures of the 73 FJ43 in the junk yard? Guessing that is in Japan. We need Pete to go rescue it. Not sure that top was used anywhere but the JDM. I also don't see that advantage of that top. With the standard B pillar bow it's can't be that easy to break down. Foxfab (Mike) and Proffitt's FJ25s originally came with a similar bow setup. Those also had a forward facing rear bench seat.

My White FJ25 has old Kayline top that could break down easier even though I have never tried it. The frame around the door could be removed by opening the Velcro along the B pillar and sliding it out from above the door. Once the snaps on the vinyl are loose the top could be moved forward and removed from the channel on the windshield. The two main bows would then lay back. If I could ever find the soft tops to ambulance doors I would attempt to make a early canvas top for my early soft top model with barn doors
020.JPG
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0363.jpg

Last edited:
the B-pillar stays upright... but can be removed

the rear bows are seperate and fold down with the canvas .... see the small pic of the blue BJ41... i believe there was also a bag that got zipped around the canvas and bows to keep it tidy in the back

should be seperate doors as seen on the large blue factory picture... I guess you never want to unzip the door and side at the same time...or... its only hanging on by a few inches

Johnny where did you get the pictures of the 73 FJ43 in the junk yard? Guessing that is in Japan.

the picture is old... 5? years i think... yes JDM kinda cool to see an F135 as the stock engine Huh... carry over engine .... some sort of service truck?

who can read what it says on the side?

IDNK if it was used in any other markets

I really like that zip open back door idea. In fact I saw that picture right after I ordered my top. If I would have seen that earlier I would have had mine done that way. Much easier access to the cargo area with the back flap strapped down. Undo a couple of straps and you're in. Also, with the fold down top how do the front and door channels work? Love to see more pics if anyone comes through with some.

That is AWESOME! I love that flap in the back, look like you could take the tailgate down, unzip the flap and have easy access into the back. Very cool.

By the zipper in the back I believe these had ambulance doors. It would be interesting to try out. Need more information on the 73 in the junk yard. I will add I have never seen this design before one on this early. Everything had a squared bezel.:hmm:

someone posted that the b pillar folds down with the material, but i'm having a hard time figuring out how the top would easily slip out of the windshield frame. it's a bear with the top completely loose, let alone with it still hooked to bows.

Here are some more pics...

null_zpsd95b6d95.jpg

null_zpsda62c957.jpg

null_zps5d4431dc.jpg

null_zps6bff8ede.jpg

null_zps40010144.jpg

So Can I assume these were available in Pakistan? Alex can you get so of these bows in the US?

someone posted that the b pillar folds down with the material, but i'm having a hard time figuring out how the top would easily slip out of the windshield frame. it's a bear with the top completely loose, let alone with it still hooked to bows.

I can't agree with you more. Maybe the later style had rods that slide in and could be removed making it easier to get the top free of the windshield and above the doors. Everything I've seen here it's easier to just roll up the sides or completely remove the top. By the time the top was loose up front it was completely. If you have to deal with the B pillar bow might as wheel just leave the rest on.

So Can I assume these were available in Pakistan? Alex can you get so of these bows in the US?
Those pictures are from Pakistan. Ehsan never had any luck getting them. This was the only set he saw and he wasn't interested in reproducing them.

My take on this top is with the soft style ambulance doors in back and hard doors on the sides it sealed up better than the other style soft top ambulance doors. With the zipper it would keep water and dust out better in wet climates or dry dusty climates.

I can't believe there was ever an oem. I've been looking on and off for years. Can't thank you guys enough. Going to try to fab my own.

Johnny,

Great pictures.

With that rear door license wire cover, the white Japanese truck has to be a fairly late model-- 1980 up. (1979 up rear reflectors and gas door)

I wonder what year range these folding tops were available? Are some folks indicating these originated back with the FJ25s. Must have been a useful option as a top if they were made for that many years.

Trying to visualize how that rear door would've opened. The bottom metal part has two hinges for pivoting. But without any apparent upper door frame, the upper flap part of it looks like it simply folded back on its side zipper and then just sagged when the entire door is pulled open? Doesn't look like any kind of side tubular frame with an upper hinge, like on the ambo "C" doors..

I see two D-rings at the top of the rear canvas for rolling up both upper rear doors at the same time.
And it looks like the canvas was double-layered--with a white outer skin and a black inner skin.

Any idea what's the purpose of the two metal brackets with rubber caps on the rear body lip near each upright zipper, part number 65853 "STOPPER". Is it to support a roof bow in the folded position?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom