Flywheel timing mark is missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't find the little mark on the flywheel. There is a part of the flywheel that looks like it has about a 1-inch cutout, but I can't see the mark. Have rocked the engine around a revolution and still can't see it.

For right now, I advanced the timing until i can just barely force a ping, then backed off a nudge.

So, how do I mark the flywheel?

Remove all the spark plugs and the clutch inspection cover. Turn the flywheel by hand (with gloves when tranny is in neutral) the correct direction slowly until you find the indentation ball on the flywheel. It doesn't matter how rusty or dirty the flywheel is, the 7° mark is a very distinctive indentation in the flywheel.

The TDC scribe mark is very faint and can be difficult to see if the flywheel is rusty. It's very close to the 7° mark. It's a thin line.

Clean up both with some very fine emory paper & polish, then paint them.

Below is a picture I found on mud. I don't remember whose it is- but whoever posted it- Thanks!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
After removing the plugs and cover you can crank the flywheel w/ a socket on the alt nut. No need to loosen the belt. I've done it a few times.

Also what you can do is;
- chalk (caulk) back wheels in place
- put tranny in neutral
- get under truck
- remove flywheel inspection plate
- rotate flywheel to see markings and clean up as @Output Shaft stated
- paint markings
- button everything back up.

I ended up just putting it in fourth and rocking it until I found the little hole in the flywheel. A q-tip with some white paint and we're good to go.

BTW, after hooking up a timing light and checking, it was right on already! I don't need no stinking timing light :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom