Fluid drain for PHH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, this is my first cruise, first vehicle with four wheels that I've wrenched on in a good bit. Searched the threads, but couldn't get a clear idea on wether or not the block, radiator, or both needed to be drained to replace the PHH.

Thank you for your time,
Mayne

Gotta love auto correct... My first Land Cruiser.

How old is the coolant in there?
I just topped mine off after replacing PHH knowing that I just fully drained the system 3 mos. ago and put new coolant.
If you have no clue.....Then yeah now is the time to flush and drain the coolant, radiator hose (3) total, water pump, thermostat.

Coolant is only about 6 months old, and the system looks pretty clean from what bits I can see. I take it only a small amount drains out of the PHH, not the entire block contents?
Thanks Kelley

Coolant is only about 6 months old, and the system looks pretty clean from what bits I can see. I take it only a small amount drains out of the PHH, not the entire block contents?
Thanks Kelley

It will drain to the level of the PHH outlet - which is reasonably low on the block.

If the PHH needs replacing, just do it and deal with buying new coolant.

cheers,
george.

Thanks George. Kinda thought that might be the case.

Kelley.

There are some coolant testers you can get relatively cheap to see how good the coolant is but if you are just doing the PHH and the coolant isn't old just add to top off. Have fun wrenching on your LC and don't hesitate to inquire on the best bunch of guys and gals here on the forum.

Just cut the PHH in two and let it drain. Remove the top hose and tube bracket bolt and then break off the lower tube bracket by rocking the tube back and forth. Then lift the tube out from the top. With the tube out, you have more room underneath to get the other half of the PHH off of the head. With the tube out, you can install the new PHH on the bench and then reinstall the tube assembly from the top. That is the EZ way to get it done.
About a gallon leaks out.

Don't replace the PHH - Remove It

Hey There,

I think you'll lose about 1g of total fluids. I caught mine in a new drain pan I just happened to have and poured it right back in after I was done.

I just did my PHH a month ago and I sorely regret it. It is not worth the trouble. Get the same results with the PHH-ectomy. You remove the old PHH, and run a longer tube up the driver side of the motor and around the brake master cylinder and to the heater house outlet at the top of the firewall. Pics and parts here:
http://www.1fzfephh.com/WorkAround.html

I don't have a dog in the fight, I don't work for any company. I just know that doing that job took me four hours and several times I nearly said to hell with it I'm throwing in the towel and towing it to a mechanic. It really is not worth the substantial trouble to replace the original hose with a hose of the same size. Bypass it, go with a long hose, and you'll never regret it. I wish I had.

If you do go ahead with the original size hose, and you use the silicone replacement hose, use lube. As in sex lube, K-Y. I was at my wit's end when I decided to try it and it made a big difference. I didn't think it would help, somehow it didn't seem to me that excessive friction was the problem, but when I put on the lube it made a big difference and I was done quickly.

Good luck.

-Russell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom