Builds Flopped My Rig, Time To Chop The Top! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put liner on it, then you will never have to worry about it.

Unless you are going for the brushed metal bling look which would be pretty cool, also.

Those door panels would look cool if they had the brushed look and you had some speakers in them.

Truck looks great Derrick

Derrick,

The door skins look great. But, the first thing that comes to my mind is, Isn't that unfinished metal going to heat up like an iron in the sun? Not that the inside of the doors is THAT exposed. I may be over thinking a very simple thing....

Then again, you are driving a large black heat sink to begin with!

I don't think bling belongs on an 80.

You've Got Mail!!!

My next project arrived in the mail today. Take a guess?

It starts with 3-....

:bounce:
003.jpg

3... Link? Saw you pm the seller in the classifieds. I'm not stalking you I swear...;)

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Unfortunately, that deal did not work out.

RuffStuff had an amazing sale this past weekend and I couldn't pass it up. I am hoping to have time Thanksgiving weekend to make some more progress on the tube quarter panel protection so I can move onto this project. One thing leads to another.....:D

Back At It!!! More Tube Work

Finally got a chance to work at my buddies shop today. We tackled the rear quarter panel protection. Last time I did this, I used 1.5" tube but this time I decided to beef things up a bit and went with 1.75" x .120. It ties into the one main top bar which is tied into the cage and at the bottom is tied into the bumper and sliders. It is solid!!!

Tomorrow I will trim the top tube to length and trim the bumper tube ends at an angle to match the sweep of the fender tube. Here are some pics of today's progress:
IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg
IMG_0314.jpg

More Pictures

A few more pics:
IMG_0316.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg

Old Quarter Panel Protection

Here are a few pics of the old QP protection with the 1.5" tube:
1.23.11 007.jpg
Rear Armor 001.jpg

I see you have sketched out a fuel filler door on the passenger side, are you considering adding a second filler and tank?

When I did the quarter panel protection (pre-flop), I sketched a mirror image of the fuel filler cap on the PS to help me with the design. I had ideas of what I wanted to do and did that to make sure both sides matched and because I started on the PS first.

Painted Today

Trimmed the top tube and bumper tube and got everything painted today. Still not finished though. I need to build the rack that will be integrated into the top tube, add the horizontal tube at the B pillar for attachment of some 5 point harnesses, and add some gusseting. Then of course, the 3 link I wanna get to. I am ready to take a break and do some wheeling......next weekned sounds good, :bounce:
012.jpg
013.jpg
015.jpg

It's ALIVE! Progress is great since Pismo.

Looks like a monster, love it! Can't wait to see the 3-link progress.

I just read through this whole build and everything looks great.
It makes me want to find a 80 series to flop and chop.
A 3-link will make it even better. Keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom