Flex-a-Lite Fan - Eliminate Fan Clutch? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

My fan clutch failed. Blue hub fan clutch ordered and on its way - just so you know.

Got an idea:

Has anyone here replaced the standard OEM fan and clutch assembly with a Flex-a-Lite style, clutchless belt driven fan?

Like this:

Here is a picture I took, because we all like pictures:

IMG_0084.JPG

Last edited:
Clutchless fan would require a huge fan spacer to get the blades in the proper position in the shroud. I would recommend just staying with the OEM arrangement.

I agree. Fan spacers are like wheel spacers...ish. Just wondering if anyone had sucess doing it.
For some reason, I've kept a fan clutch eliminator in the boonie box of my K5 Blazer for the last 15+ years. I got it after an experiment with electric fans went south, went back to a clutch-driven fan, and the fan clutch eliminator is still in the boonie box, untouched, except for rearranging the box contents every now and then... I've gone thru several fan clutches on the truck, but never used the spacer. I've had good results with bolt-on wheel spacers, though.

Interesting idea... I checked out their website and some of their fan options are extremely light - utilizing a spacer and getting rid of the clutch would definitely result in less rotational mass. Wouldn't adding 20k fluid to the stock fan clutch essentially be the same thing as installing one of these?

The only reason I can think of NOT to do this is if you live/travel in very cold environments where you the fan clutch would actually be utilized. I live and spend 99% of my time in Texas, where my fan clutch is running at 100% speed 98% of the time. Installing a system like this would just make one less thing to fail (the fluid in the fan clutch). Not that it fails often or anything, my original fan clutch lasted 200K miles... The idea of considerably less rotational mass has me curious though.

Response for Flex-A-Lite:

Hello Hung Lowe,
Unfortunately, due to the unique centering pilot on your water pump, we don’t have a fan that will fit without a special adapter. If you can find an adapter, I might be able to recommend a fan for your application.

Sincerely,
Loose Liz

So - strike 1.

Something like this should work with some machine work to bore out the center to accept the centering pilot from the water pump. Find a friend with a lathe (me) 😂

(Not sure on the length dimension of the spacer... just a rough guess that it would need to be ~3" based on my memory of when I installed my new water pump... I can't go out to the parking lot to measure since I took my wife's car to work today)

Be on it! They do show coverage for a 2000 Cruiser with a V6, so know what is up?!

Give up the significant benefits of a clutch, for what gain, what problem are you attempting to fix?

Be on it! They do show coverage for a 2000 Cruiser with a V6, so know what is up?!

Give up the significant benefits of a clutch, for what gain, what problem are you attempting to fix?

What are the "significant" benefits of having a clutch? Serious question.

-Better Fuel Mileage (when operating correctly)
-Lower Engine Load (when operating correctly)
-Lower Engine Noise (when operating correctly)

Some of the new belt drive fans (clutch-less fans, like the Flex-o-lite being discussed) have flexible blades that flatten at higher RPM. I'm not sure how that technology has progressed over the years.

Others?

Get the blue fan clutch and don’t look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom