Flange to differential, what to replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 2002 land cruiser 100 series has a problem in the front drive train. No power in any gear unless center diff is locked, grinding noises, the works. Based on what I've found on here, it sounds like it could be the flange and CV gone bad or ring and pinion. I haven't been able to get it in a garage to brake her apart to confirm exactly what the problem is. But I am preparing to have to replace flange, axle, ring and pinion, and related bushings, hardware, etc... I just don't know what I will need. The PO didn't believe in maintenance so I am sure everything under there is shot at 369,000 miles. Help me make a master list for front drive train replacement.

Also, new here so let me know if I am doing something incorrectly so I can try to fix it. Thanks in advance

Welcome. Don't panic. Start by checking both outer drive flanges (splines ok?), then drop the front driveshaft and try to turn the front diff flange by hand, with the front wheels in the air. Drain the front diff oil, and and check the drain plug magnet for chunks. Search, find, and read the many threads on this list dealing with front driveline issues.

Last edited:
X2 don't panic, start with the easy stuff, pop the dust cover off the axle hub and see what it looks like, post pics if you have questions

So an update, and clarification because I did not explain myself very well.

Update: to my utter surprise, flanges were actually in good condition. I still plan on replacing them anyway with the CVs which were leaking and look to be aftermarket (yuck). My problem is definitely in the differential. Confirmed yesterday while she was on the jack stands. I feeling pretty confident that the pinion gear looks like a odd cold punch at this point.

Clarification: I generally know what and were the problem is and how to fix it. What I'm looking for is the parts that I can replace while I have it taken apart that may not be strictly apart of a standard flange/CV replacement or a regearing job. Things like the differential mount bushing; not necessary to fix the problem, but while the differential is on the table I can have one less thing to do down the road.
If this is still too close to one of the FAQ or if I've just completely over looked something in the FAQ please lemme know and I'll delete the post if that's possible (still learning the non-guest side of this site). And again, thank y'all in advance

McGeorge Toyota and PartSouq tend to have good diagrams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom