Fjcruiser D-4D (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think most are interested as its what many wish was in the FJ to start with. I may not be so interested in a turn key option, but more like a kit/engine for my 6sp manual. However it seems they use the full drivetrain from the donor vehicle which might run me into a ratio dilemma. I wheel and bought the truck to be a daily diver too, but to wheel. Im not willing to get the engine I want by giving up gearing to get it.

I find the build interesting none the less... Real clean like I like it and used to provide my customers when I was in business.

This has the original A750F. Not sure if the RA61F is compatible, but knowing Toyota, I would think it would be.

Owner was given the option to keep the 750 or run the 4speed and he elected to maintain the auto.

Can't wait to drive this, hopefully next week. He left town and all attempts at my keeping for the duration failed. Hahaha.

I think most are interested as its what many wish was in the FJ to start with. I may not be so interested in a turn key option, but more like a kit/engine for my 6sp manual. However it seems they use the full drivetrain from the donor vehicle which might run me into a ratio dilemma. I wheel and bought the truck to be a daily diver too, but to wheel. Im not willing to get the engine I want by giving up gearing to get it.

I find the build interesting none the less... Real clean like I like it and used to provide my customers when I was in business.

It really is a shame that Toyota doesnt build the Fj Cruiser in any markets with the diesel option. Its fantastic! The final drive ratios are unchanged as the transmissions Toyota uses are either the identical transmission or have the same (or extremely close) gear ratios as the a750 or RA60. The problem we had with selling kits is that the diesel ECU's use an extremely sophisticated immobilizer system that has to be re-programmed with ALL of the vehicle computers (transponder key ECU, cluster, airbags, all vehicle modules etc). We have a $20k Toyota Europe dealer ELF certified (locksmith certified) programmer in the shop that we had to purchase in order to reprogram all of these ECU's successfully. In many cases, we have to physically re-code EEPROMs on several of the US model vehicle's modules to overseas diesel-model coding as they were incompatible. How we can transfer this service to the end user of a kit is a challenge for us that we're still working on figuring out. Until then, we are not selling any more kits.

It really is a shame that Toyota doesnt build the Fj Cruiser in any markets with the diesel option. Its fantastic! The final drive ratios are unchanged as the transmissions Toyota uses are either the identical transmission or have the same (or extremely close) gear ratios as the a750 or RA60. The problem we had with selling kits is that the diesel ECU's use an extremely sophisticated immobilizer system that has to be re-programmed with ALL of the vehicle computers (transponder key ECU, cluster, airbags, all vehicle modules etc). We have a $20k Toyota Europe dealer ELF certified (locksmith certified) programmer in the shop that we had to purchase in order to reprogram all of these ECU's successfully. In many cases, we have to physically re-code EEPROMs on several of the US model vehicle's modules to overseas diesel-model coding as they were incompatible. How we can transfer this service to the end user of a kit is a challenge for us that we're still working on figuring out. Until then, we are not selling any more kits.

Wow, now that is truly amazing. Goes way beyond getting the cruise control and A/C idle up to work (which I'm sure you figured out too, but seems to be an issue with a lot of conversions). I'm sure the price is well worth the end product. It sure looks to be.

How come no 1HZ or 1PZ engine offerings? Too easy for you guys? ;)

We're driving a 2012 Hilux Turbo Diesel D-4D while we're in Honduras on business and it's a smooth ride. I'm going to test it out in the mountains soon to see how it handles there.

image-353890872.jpg
This is a very cool option you guys are offering in the market.

-Daniel
image-353890872.jpg

We're driving a 2012 Hilux Turbo Diesel D-4D while we're in Honduras on business and it's a smooth ride. I'm going to test it out in the mountains soon to see how it handles there.

View attachment 691670
This is a very cool option you guys are offering in the market.

-Daniel

Thank you. Did you guys get a 2.5 or 3.0?

Not that it matters but what kind of fuel economy is that thing getting. O yeah, very well done. Would the D-4D go in a GX470?

No, the GX takes the Prado motor and tranny :)

1KD-FTV

I wonder what the mpg would be on a GX470?

My father in law has a non-US 2012 model Prado and he never fills it up. Granted, it is in Trinidad where you don't pile on the miles, but they are sippers.

I would guesstimate it would take a stock GX to 25 or so average. Built it would take my 14 to 20.

Owner's picking up today. Waiting on the butt dyno review now.

Planning a wrench day week after next, if any locals are going to be in the Tulsa area and would like to see (and assist lifting, Expo rear install, and a long list of other todos).

I may have to come help just to check this thing out. Let me know when you have a set date. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with my hunting schedule :).

-Josh

(oh yeah, I'll be posting on here a lot more often now. For those of you who are on blue room, I'm Big Turtle over there.)

dieseltoyz said:
Delancy, you get to drive that thing yet?

Not yet. Think Crawfinski returns from MN tonight. Going to hit him up for scheduling tomorrow.

cruisercorps said:
I'm Big Turtle

Hope CC knows what they've unleashed on the masses. Hahaha.

Will keep you in the loop. Once confirmed, figured I'd let everyone know and "invite". Hahaha.

dieseltoyz said:
Delancy, you get to drive that thing yet?

Very cool. No noticeable noise increase in cab , feels torquey, but smooth. Nice power plant.

Nice job on the conversion, too. After a thorough 11 hour inspection, the only non-OEish appearing item was the stainless exhaust joint. No other evidence I can see that'd indicate a 1GR was ever in the same bay. Very nice.

By the way, if y'all are missing a 10MM Matco open end wrench, it's been located. Hahaha.

Very cool. No noticeable noise increase in cab , feels torquey, but smooth. Nice power plant.

Nice job on the conversion, too. After a thorough 11 hour inspection, the only non-OEish appearing item was the stainless exhaust joint. No other evidence I can see that'd indicate a 1GR was ever in the same bay. Very nice.

By the way, if y'all are missing a 10MM Matco open end wrench, it's been located. Hahaha.

That's funny. That's literally the only thing we subbed out. Swamped as we are, we had a local exhaust shop weld up that exhaust joint. I think he'll be chipping that engine in the future. Once you chip them, they're ridiculously torquey. I had my guys tear apart the shop looking for that stupid wrench! Where was that thing?

Top of the rear diff.

Nice work on the undercoating, too. Not sure the specifics, but looked very durable, perfect for the new environment the FJC will be enduring.

Any necessitation for a block warmer in the MN winter?

All my diesel experience comes from PowerSmokes which I have to plug in if 60 or below, so if a stupid question there's the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom