FJC with FJ40 emblems - How does it look ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the emblems look cool.

And I bet we will see lots of FJs on the trail, and even more with college girls behind the wheel at the mall. What's wrong with that? In a few years, they'll be available lightly used for cheap, and we can start building them and wheeling the crap outta them.

Hulk said:

And I bet we will see lots of FJs on the trail, and even more with college girls behind the wheel at the mall. What's wrong with that? In a few years, they'll be available lightly used for cheap, and we can start building them and wheeling the crap outta them.

That's exactly right. We must remember that not everybody has the pocketbook or ability to do this. Therefore this truck may be the only way many people can get offroad in a Toyota, and that's a good thing.

Actually it is a Land Cruiser Prado under that FJC exterior - I assume those are the stick on Emblems and you didn't drill holes in your FJC - Now as for what designate a Land Cruiser, That's a good question and subject to a million opinions. I would say that once you replace the stock powerplant, transmission, axles, interior and cut off half the body you sure don't have a Land Cruiser anymore. I like em STOCK

Last edited:
overton said:
Actually it is a Land Cruiser Prado under that FJC exterior - I assume those are the stick on Emblems and you didn't drill holes in your FJC

Yeah - it's just double-sided tape

I figured it would get everyone's pantys in a wad, but they're stayin on :cool:

Hulk said:

I agree with this!
When the FJC gets popular and the price falls then we will see some serious building and wheeling of them.

Speaking of wheeling, does anyone have any pics of the FJC on the trail (besides the gravel road pics)?

FusionCruiser said:
I must say... If the majority of Toy fans speak with the clarity that your posts exhibit, I will learn a lot in a short period. I find it impossible to learn from the one's that figure shouting louder (analogy obviously;) ) will help the rest of us see it their way.

Shouting louder? :rolleyes: Give me a break.

alaskacruiser said:
Not quite accurate- the A440 transmission was used on the 91-92 80-series Landcruisers first. It was then used (with a completely different valve body) on a small Japanese market bus. So the myth about the tranny being "taken from a bus" is not correct.

Thanks for the correction,

Well, in all probability, the only reason the FJ Cruiser wasn't named "Landcruiser" in the first place is because Toyota knows the current US perception of the Landcruiser marque is a premium, luxury, halo vehicle for the Toyota brand.

Having both a 100 series, or it's eventual successor, along with a more utilitarian, spartan vehicle both named Landcruiser would have created confusion.

Of course, that all goes back to how TMS USA markets the vehicles, and not really any specific lineage.

At any rate, Landcruiser or not, the FJ is pretty cool.

Steps for Rock Rails?

Logic, Great looking rig! I am getting mine First week of May. (MSRP) I wanted running boards until I saw your steps. Did you just by the steps and weld'em on or is that a hidden option somewhere.......:idea:
scooter

10-96FJ said:
Logic, Great looking rig! I am getting mine First week of May. (MSRP) I wanted running boards until I saw your steps. Did you just by the steps and weld'em on or is that a hidden option somewhere.......:idea:
scooter

Bought them from Toyota Parts - added on and not an FJ option.
I like them too and they look ok, but are bolted to body and not the frame. There are bolt holes in the frame specially for rock sliders and these steps can easily be adapted.

It is odd how little, yes little, of a community the Land Cruiser world is yet thinks, quite loudly, that their beliefs in what a LC should be/was defines the market now. It reminds me of a bunch of old men sitting on a bench talking about buying beer for a nickel. Do you really have the audacity to think that Toyota gives a rat's ass about how you feel about your 40 or 60 or whatever. As a matter of fact, their culture is not one to even look back at prior accomplishments/failures (namely the 40 if you look at gross sales). They are continually looking ahead-whether in design or concept to be the most profitable company in the history of automaking.

I love my cruisers that I have owned and I love this board, but sometimes I cannot help to think that there are several Japanese executives reading this material and just laughing at the absurdity of some of these comments/themes. I mean we are bickering within on our brand-a true reflection I think of how difficult it is just to accept change and someone/some company dictating what we should/and do (considering these vehicles will sell) in our life.

Jukelemon said:
Toyota gives a rat's ass about how you feel about your 40 or 60 or whatever. They are continually looking ahead-whether in design or concept to be the most profitable company in the history of automaking.

I think you're partially correct -
If Toyota Executives didn't listen to the rants and raves from this segment (or message board, etc..) then they would have risked being another GM/Pontiac and creating another piece of :censor: retro vehicle (GTO) that looks like a Ford Tempo...not even the die hard GTO fans wants to be seen in one.

I think the designers created something that would (look) appealing, and when word spread that there was a strong following and demand, they listened.

If they built the FJC like a Ford Escape (poor quality and no off-road ability) or like a modern 4-Runner (just another SUV in Toyota's lineup), then they would have received mediocre response. But instead, they created something that looked retro, and that had (most) of what the Jeep Rubicon offers (looks cool and can wheel) right off the showroom floor.

Back to your point: They may be practicing martial arts, getting drunk, and laughing at our rants and raves, but I think they saw a bunch of fools ready to spend money and built what we wanted.

I got the same "that ain't a Land Cruiser" comments from some folks when I first got my 80....

Now that it's done some hard trips and has the mods I like...no more comments from the peanut gallery...:rolleyes:

I will most likely end up with a new FJ Cruiser here in the next few months, as my views of airbags etc. are changing with a kiddo on the way...

A lift, tires, ARB and the opportunity to drill a 4" hole in the fender for a snorkle will be fun to do!

...and the first thing I plan to do is pinstripe the thing on Broken Arrow in Sedona....

-H-

Just a pic of the grocery getter...
Cruiser200K.jpg

Jukelemon said:
As a matter of fact, their culture is not one to even look back at prior accomplishments/failures (namely the 40 if you look at gross sales). They are continually looking ahead-whether in design or concept to be the most profitable company in the history of automaking.

I would beg to differ with you about not looking back and IMO this is what the FJC is lacking that prior Land Cruisers have had....a design continuance based on prior successes and failures.

Jukelemon said:
sometimes I cannot help to think that there are several Japanese executives reading this material and just laughing at the absurdity of some of these comments/themes.

I seriously doubt it.

logic2 said:
I think the designers created something that would (look) appealing, and when word spread that there was a strong following and demand, they listened.

Did they come and ask you, because they sure as hell didn't come and ask me or any other Toyota Land Cruiser owner I know. Did they come to the LC community 3 years ago and ask our opinions? No, they built a prototype based on what their marketing department thought, took it to the auto shows and the next thing you know, FJC. They might have listened to some focus groups, but I have yet to hear of any Land Cruiser owners that were asked. And even if they were asked, I don't see many indications that they listened. But the last time I looked, they don't have to listen much because they sell all they build.

They might have built what you wanted, but not what I wanted.

Blame the American Consumer for the "luxur'izing" of cruisers such as the 80 series and up.. not Toyota.. They are just giving the majority of this markets consumers what they wanted.. Bling... :rolleyes:

I suggest looking outside the boundaries of this country for a true picture of what the 80's, 90's, and even the 100 series are designed and used for... Definitly not mall rigs..

I blame Eisenhower. If we didn't have the Federal Aid Highway Act there would be more cruisers :rolleyes:

wesintl said:
I blame Eisenhower. If we didn't have the Federal Aid Highway Act there would be more cruisers :rolleyes:

it's all hitlers fault with those damn autobahns:doh:

I think it's sad that people bitch about a vehicle that TLCA supports and writes about, Woody who gains business from vendors who advertise, and people buy it thinking they are joining a community only to be pushed away by people who cannot get over the fact that it is not what they wanted. How about putting you opinions aside for the good of the cruiser community. Nobody gains from ill will toward the FJ.

I say if you think the emblem looks good thats all that should matter. I think it's better than a chevy emblem on a 40. Nobody seems to complain about that. It would be cool to see a FJ Cruiser emblem done in the same style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom