FJ80 vs FZJ80 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like an appropriate thread for a potential 80 series owner or for that matter a 100 series

Wow, 24 posts so far on a thread I would have predicted a much different (less helpful, more sarcastic) response. You’ve gotten great input here.

Not surprisingly, @Road Apple gave you a dissertation worthy of publication. Hopefully his summary doesn’t get lost in this thread for future reference to others. Value it.

@COYS is “right” as far as many 80’s guys go (it’s the thinking I bought into, then actually bought)

@White Stripe is also “right”. Why limit the discussion to 80’s and 100’s?

Which brings up the real question, what do you want the truck to do and what are you expecting? Do you have a budget?

The 80 is the last of the SFA in the US. But do you want or need that? 100 is more comfy, powerful and “nicer” (in which case you need to get off this forum quickly!)

But why stop there, the 200 is a great grocery getter/cruiser and a built one is extremely capable off road…and expensive

Leading us to the LX600….

Last edited:
@Marco Lau

Please chime in on your love of the 3F-E and why that is the best.

You can't go wrong with any 80 series imo. I like my 3FE and 1FZ-FE trucks equally. One bonus with the 3FE is that is impossible to get road rage on the highway in a truck so slow.
or speeding tickets.
@Marco Lau

Please chime in on your love of the 3F-E and why that is the best.
Don't get me started on these kinda post anymore. If you have to ask, then you better just stick with your 1FZ...
BILT4ME...you know better than pushing my buttons.

BILT4ME...you know better than pushing my buttons.
All in fun.......

But you have legitimate information. Others are just not willing to put in the time or effort you have.

All in fun.......

But you have legitimate information. Others are just not willing to put in the time or effort you have.
haha...you ever given up on things just because you are at your wits end? I felt like that with MUD and i am at peace with it....

haha...you ever given up on things just because you are at your wits end? I felt like that with MUD and i am at peace with it.... I love my 3FE and others love their 1FZ...now we can all get along and focus on spending more money on broken parts..or fixing blown engines...:cool:

It is all fun and games. We love our trucks and why most of us are here.
BUT YOU DO realize there are 100 : 1 1FZ-FE guys vs 3F-E on MUD....not exactly how you want to carry on a fight. =):rolleyes:

I mean if you love your 3fe then that's awesome. I personally don't like them which is why I don't drive one.

Time for me to get flamed hard but I am falling more and more in love with our gx470 and if I had to do it all over again would have built it up. It can do all the off-road stuff I would ever need, drives better, better mpg, longer life engine than any F series, I could go on for days. It's a fantastic platform.

You will never get me to talk kindly about the F series engines. I hate the damn thing 🤣
Usually the hatred stems from past experience, and in your case, I would assume it isn't a positive one to say the least.
I mean if you love your 3fe then that's awesome. I personally don't like them which is why I don't drive one.

Time for me to get flamed hard but I am falling more and more in love with our gx470 and if I had to do it all over again would have built it up. It can do all the off-road stuff I would ever need, drives better, better mpg, longer life engine than any F series, I could go on for days. It's a fantastic platform.
I get the power of the V8..but IFS is a no go for what i do....
37 seems to be the magic number, anything larger is V8 swap..or what it seems like.

You seen the rclt? Plenty of people running 37s and 40s on ifs and kept right up with my 80

You seen the rclt? Plenty of people running 37s and 40s on ifs and kept right up with my 80
Yeah, seen plenty of IFS breakage w/ larger tires and V8s..not my cup of tea. I get that IFS is great for overland stuff, but for rocks, i still prefer SAS.

I have seen, and personally, busted the hell out of 80 axles so what's your point? They aren't exactly super strong when you go 37s or 40s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom