FJ80 vs FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if the 1FZ’s sluggish reputation has to do with them losing compression over the years;

I think it's simply that they're heavy and slow. Toyota always overbuilt their frames and bodies and didn't particularly pursue performance, at least with their trucks.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ had 225 hp & 300 lb-ft, with a curb weight of 3,900 Lbs. There was the seemingly rare 4.0 ZJ with 190/225, but it was 3,674 Lbs.

The Land Cruiser 1FZ-FE 80 had 212 hp & 275 ft-lb, with a curb weight of 4,760 Lbs.

The Land Rover 4.2 V8 was 200/251 at 4,574 Lbs.

5.2 ZJ 0.0576 HP/Lb
4.0 ZJ 0.0517 HP/Lb
4.5 80 0.0445 HP/Lb
4.2 LR V8 0.0437 HP/Lb

I owned a '95 ZJ. It was pretty quick for its day. It was also a POS, needed a transmission rebuild by 80k miles, ate motor mounts and coils, and plenty of maintenance was harder than the 80. For example, they put the distributor cap behind the engine, and you could barely reach it with the firewall in the way.

So yeah, the LC is a slow, heavy, overbuilt pig that you have to actively try to kill. It's a very different type of vehicle from others in its class within the North American market. By the 2000s, SUVs turned into the family muscle car class.

Last edited:
Adding to the above HP/weight chart, the 3FE FJ80 is .0325. My 3.slow 4Runner is better than that with .03875. However, perhaps the worst 90's Toyota truck would be the 22RE 4Runner at .029.

Advantage FJ80: My desmogged, AC removed 3FE (Granted, in an FJ62) was the easiest engine bay to get around in I've ever had.

The NGOs only chose HZJ80s, and Toyota made them perfect for the role. Gas models with all our demanded cushy comforts are never far from sophisticated repair facilities.
If I’m not mistaken the 1HZ is the only non-electrical engine still in production.
I think it's simply that they're heavy and slow. Toyota always overbuilt their frames and bodies and didn't particularly pursue performance, at least with their trucks.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ had 225 hp & 300 lb-ft, with a curb weight of 3,900 Lbs. There was the seemingly rare 4.0 ZJ with 190/225, but it was 3,674 Lbs.

The Land Cruiser 1FZ-FE 80 had 212 hp & 275 ft-lb, with a curb weight of 4,760 Lbs.

The Land Rover 4.2 V8 was 200/251 at 4,574 Lbs.

5.2 ZJ 0.0576 HP/Lb
4.0 ZJ 0.0517 HP/Lb
4.5 80 0.0445 HP/Lb
4.2 LR V8 0.0437 HP/Lb

I owned a '95 ZJ. It was pretty quick for its day. It was also a POS, needed a transmission rebuild by 80k miles, ate motor mounts and coils, and plenty of maintenance was harder than the 80. For example, they put the distributor cap behind the engine, and you could barely reach it with the firewall in the way.

So yeah, the LC is a slow, heavy, overbuilt pig that you have to actively try to kill. It's a very different type of vehicle from others in its class within the North American market. By the 2000s, SUVs turned into the family muscle car class.
From what I’ve experienced and read on here it seems like they were designed for places with poor infrastructure where you usually wouldn’t be going over 45 mph for extended periods (everything you need, nothing you don’t).

The 1HZ is especially revered in the global south as a venerable workhorse, but it’d be a fish out of water trying to merge onto an American highway.

The FZJ80 was on par in HP per pound ratio with that of its peers; the Bronco, Blazer, Ramcharger, Rover, etc. if we can really call these vehicle true peers.

Talk to people who live or have lived in third world countries where LandCruisers were available and they will tell you that anyone who can afford one drives one because nothing else would stay put together due to poor road conditions, poor maintenance and nasty fuel. Other cars literally fall apart while the engine still has life left in it.

My bet is that the people living in these types of places would still appreciate a landcruiser of any type ,old or new, right now. It’s a practical vehicle for a practical people.

I think the engine bay was designed for a diesel. It fits far better, is far easier to work on and is even easier to take out or put in. It is a pita to work on with a 1FZFE because it is cluttered. Changed a PHH before or even a fuel filter? Then you know what I mean. 😉

I didn’t rebuild mine, I built a new engine from the short block up. I think they get sluggish from the TB and intake getting clogged up along with a few other things.

Cheers
Care to list those 'few other things?' I have a spare engine ready for a refresh, so this would be a good time to know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom