FJ80 Mat ideas for restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The aftermarket will not print "Land Cruiser" or "TOYOTA" on their mats for me or I would order high quality new mats from a vendor. I don't need Weathertechs as this is a restoration used on sunny days. I have posted this in the PARTS WANTED section as well.

Here are my existing mats. I really only need the driver's side as it has a large wear hole hidden by the cheap ebay skid pad. This is the shape that fits my US spec 1991 FJ80. I don't mind buying a non-us spec mat set but need to make sure it fits and is in good condition. It seems there are attractive and very interesting JDM spec mats out there but not similar in shape so I suspect they are right-hand-drive which is slightly differently styled. Most of the world is left-hand spec so maybe I will come up with an OEM Toyota solution.

1DC3D0A9-CA56-4FCC-B805-BF773F1CC74A_1_201_a.jpeg

474517A6-B0C3-4FCD-850D-92565C20780A_1_201_a.jpeg

NOPE, They can do GM and Chrysler but not Toyota. I ordered a set from them with no logos and they were the lowest quality they offered, so I used then for a while but eventually opted for the heavy original ones shown above. If they would do TOYOTA I would order the higher quality mats they offer in Brown with orange TOYOTA letters to match the original TOYOTA center caps. System won't let me order them due to copywrite.

RKTINC, Just a dumb question, but have you stopped by any of you're local auto upholstery shops? They should be able to fab you a new set using your factory floor mats as a pattern. Most upholstery shops should have no problem getting matching factory material to make your new set out of. Plus they might even be able to stitch/embroider the Toyota name into the new mats to match your old factory set.​

That is a good idea. I am not sure they could reproduce the backing. I did ask a couple local embroidery shops to add the letters but they can't punch through the rubber backing.

RKTINC, Just a dumb question, but have you stopped by any of you're local auto upholstery shops? They should be able to fab you a new set using your factory floor mats as a pattern. Most upholstery shops should have no problem getting matching factory material to make your new set out of. Plus they might even be able to stitch/embroider the Toyota name into the new mats to match your old factory seat​

I did ask a couple local embroidery shops to add the letters but they can't punch through the rubber backing.
This is how I'd do it, first I'd coordinate this with both the upholstery shop, and whoever you have stitching on the letters. First have the upholstery shop cut the mat to it's correct shape, next take those unfinished mats to whoever you plan to have the letters stitched on by. After the letters are stitched on take the unfinished mats back to the upholstery shop to have them finish up sewing on the rubber backing. Along with the rubber backing they can then sew on the matching colored edging that goes around the outer edge of the mat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom