fj80 and lx450 ps pump rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a great thread! I'm ready to do mine now.

I have a spare pump if you want to do it out of the truck and swap down the road.

I have a spare pump if you want to do it out of the truck and swap down the road.

Brilliant, I have 2 to do. I might take you up on that.

Just finished a rebuild and replaced the bearing...metal shield both sides just like the one I removed.

Also I use Mobil 1 DTE 24 Hydraulic oil light prior and after the rebuild

IMG_5287.jpg

IMG_5289.jpg

Just in the middle of rebuilding mine using this and the FSM. Vanes and Rotor gaps are far both out of spec. Should I ditch whole pump and buy a new one?

Side note: my pump sits down just to the side of the oil filter with the reservoir up on top . The 93 FSM shows it run off a pulley with the reservoir bolted directly to the top. Makes me doubt the FSM specs.

Cheers

Just in the middle of rebuilding mine using this and the FSM. Vanes and Rotor gaps are far both out of spec. Should I ditch whole pump and buy a new one?

Side note: my pump sits down just to the side of the oil filter with the reservoir up on top . The 93 FSM shows it run off a pulley with the reservoir bolted directly to the top. Makes me doubt the FSM specs.

Cheers

You are using a manual for the fj80 not for the fzj80 the pump is not the same but inside is really close. Look for a updated manual, in one of the older post says how to look for a 1997 FSM.

Funny. FSM is definitely for 93 and says FZJ. Must be a holdover mistake from 92. Would also explain why my kit is missing one o-ring.

Funny. FSM is definitely for 93 and says FZJ. Must be a holdover mistake from 92. Would also explain why my kit is missing one o-ring.

If the manual shows the P/S Pump driven by a belt then that is not the case of a 1FZ-FE pump.

Must be a mistake in the manual or in the pdf if you downloaded the manual from the internet.

Thanks dioscw. It's a hardcopy. I'll try downloading that 97 version. Makes me wonder what other mistakes there are.

Awesome write-up...

Decided to tackle this as its the last thing leaking from my truck... thought it was the seals in my pump, but after pulling it and the lines, realized my lines were hard as a rock and leaking as well... they were so hard in fact I could break them apart.

I ordered the OEM high pressure hoses, but was disappointed that you can't get the lines from the cooler by themselves without ordering the cooler (Paperclip).

I sourced better Gates hose for both the small low pressure lines and the larger low pressure line. Will be offering kits for those who don't want to buy the cooler ($$$) to get the lines. They aren't formed like the OEM, but with the short run, it really doesn't matter as they don't kink.

Stock is on its way and will be available as a kit at www.1fzfephh.com with or without clamps. Stock clamps are ok, but I will be putting some Breeze clamps on mine so I don't have to worry about them.

Easy option to get everything in one place that exceeds OEM specs... especially if you don't have a NAPA close by like me.

Lines.jpg

Kit will have the green arrow marked lines...

Lines2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all, this is probably a dumb question.... did you lube up your o-rings with hydro oil before putting them in to form a better seal. Its been 20 years since I built valves for a water valve company, and I recall doing this on them. I've read the thread a few times now and may have missed that.

Here is a picture.

ps.jpg

Hey all, this is probably a dumb question.... did you lube up your o-rings with hydro oil before putting them in to form a better seal. Its been 20 years since I built valves for a water valve company, and I recall doing this on them. I've read the thread a few times now and may have missed that.

Here is a picture.

I did and it has worked like a charm for the past few months.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

and the "clear" fluid

hard to say without knowing what it is.

from what i have seen toyotas dont come from the factory with ATF as the PS fluid.

it appears to be power steering fluid or some other hydraulic.

for the record i used "amsoil tractor and hydraulic fluid" in my 22RE pump with no ill effects. and the new PSC pump for that matter.

Hows the Amsoil holding up in your Pump Gnob?
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...sion-oil-sae-5w-30/?page=/storefront/ath.aspx

Thanks very much for the pictures. I used them to reassemble my pump tonight.

The fill hose from Power Steering Reservoir to pump is a good fit with 5/8 hose, if you ruined the hose removing it like I did. I used stainless hose clamps for peace of mind.
Going to prime (with wheels off ground) and test tmrw.
I used Gates rebuild kit and it DID come with Pump Gasket, where others say it did not.
I put in new bearing but my existing bearing was fine (peace of mind). Pump was pretty stuck on block but a screw driver between the 2 with a tap from a hammer did the trick...helical gears were holding it on.

Sidenote....Autozone had a box of hose with their Duralast name on it and it was Gates hose so something to look out for....So many things today are just re-branded.

Does anyone have an extra PS pump they'd sell me so I can rebuild? I don't want my rig out of commish while I rebuild?

I have a pump for an FJ62 3fe. Not sure if it's what you need?:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom