Fj62. Transmission will not engage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All and Happy New Year!

New to Mud again.

I have a 1990 FJ62 that while on the freeway doing about 65mph the transmission disengaged, essentially going into neutral. I pulled over and it wouldn't move in any gear including reverse. There is slight grinding going into park. I had been driving for about a half an hour.

The splines on the output shaft had stripped about a year or so ago, so I installed a mcnamara gear. Ran great until the freeway experience.

I plan on pulling the Trans oil pan off today. So first question is should I do a Rodney flush before or after I pull the trans oil pan out?

Second question: I pulled off the PTO cover plate and I can rotate the gear with my finger. Is this normal?

I was going to try all the easy things first before diving in to remove the transfer case. I am no expert, so my first instinct is that I screwed something up during the mcnamara install.

Any other suggestions for tests I should perform prior to digging in deeper.

Thank you.
Brad

The clicking while trying to put it into park was the parking pawl bouncing. This indicates the transmission is likely still working somewhat, as it means the output shaft was spinning while you tried to put it into park.

The only way you could rotate the PTO gear is if the transmission and transfercase were both in neutral at the same time.

The stick is in H2, could it have somehow popped out at the transfer case?

Well worth climbing under the truck to see before you tear into the transmission.

The clicking while trying to put it into park was the parking pawl bouncing. This indicates the transmission is likely still working somewhat, as it means the output shaft was spinning while you tried to put it into park.

The only way you could rotate the PTO gear is if the transmission and transfercase were both in neutral at the same time.
The grinding is why i asked about the transfer case in neutral by some chance. Its either simple or not so much the idler shaft could be hanging out of it for all we know won't be tge first time I've seen it here.

So I took the transfer case off today and found all kinds of wreckage. Nearly every gear is toast. Any ideas what would have caused this?
Needless to say I am looking for a transfer case...would like to buy a used one if any one is looking to unload one.

20220109_164821.jpg

20220109_164825.jpg

20220109_164839.jpg

20220109_164848.jpg

nice carnage. any case damage?
Georg at Valley hybrids may have replacement parts @orangefj45
used units can be found in the classified section, post a wanted ad.
bad bearing? or something not done correctly when it was last gone thru
was the idler shaft still in place?
gear looks worn, not stripped and broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom