FJ62 rear (red) taillights staying on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anything I should know about reinstalling? Should everything go back the way it was when I put it back or will it need adjustment?
It's a bit fiddly to get the pedal back in but nothing major.
Once you have the new bump pad installed and brake pedal reinstalled you will want to adjust the pedal height (height from floor) using the rod from the brake master and then set the brake switch distance to the new bump pad using the process in the FSM.
Both of the above are just loosening a nuts and spinning the rods to the correct length.
It helps to have two people when doing the brake switch adjustment do you can dial in when the brake lights come on. Too tight and your brake lights stay on, too loose and you are applying brakes before the tail lights come on.

It's a bit fiddly to get the pedal back in but nothing major.
Once you have the new bump pad installed and brake pedal reinstalled you will want to adjust the pedal height (height from floor) using the rod from the brake master and then set the brake switch distance to the new bump pad using the process in the FSM.
Both of the above are just loosening a nuts and spinning the rods to the correct length.
It helps to have two people when doing the brake switch adjustment do you can dial in when the brake lights come on. Too tight and your brake lights stay on, too loose and you are applying brakes before the tail lights come on.
Sounds complicated. I may just give it another try without removing the brake pedal. lol

I may just give it another try without removing the brake pedal

If you are just still trying to get the brake stop back in, I wouldn't mess with removing the pedal. I have only done it on an FJ60, and will admit it was a royal PITA to get it done but I cannot imagine a 62 could be much different. Its an odd angle to work in for sure, but I'm old and assure you if I can do it, so can you. Put some silicone grease on the nipple, center the nipple in the hole, and let the switch push it in place. HTH.

Loosen the nuts holding the switch (see picture). That should give you enough wiggle room to take out the cushion. My cushion fell right off but I've heard of people using a flathead screwdriver to pop it out. Then it's a matter of blindly trying to place the nipple in the hole then pulling it through with needle nose pliers.

When you reinstall the switch, just make sure you place it so the brake lights come on when you press the pedal and vice versa.

I also helps to unhook the pedal return spring so it's just out of the way.

switch.png

Loosen the nuts holding the switch (see picture). That should give you enough wiggle room to take out the cushion. My cushion fell right off but I've heard of people using a flathead screwdriver to pop it out. Then it's a matter of blindly trying to place the nipple in the hole then pulling it through with needle nose pliers.

When you reinstall the switch, just make sure you place it so the brake lights come on when you press the pedal and vice versa.

I also helps to unhook the pedal return spring so it's just out of the way.

View attachment 2742129

Thinking back I believe I moved the switch as well for clearance and then used the force of the pedal against it to push the pad in place. Again used some silicone grease to help it get seated. Its been awhile but I recall it being a real chore until the silicone grease was placed on the pad. GL and HTH.

Remove the cotter pin and push the bolt out that attaches the pedal to the brake master.
Then its just a bolt and nut way up at the top.
I did exactly this and it was just enough room to push the pedal back a tad bit more. I used silicone grease like some suggested above and the force of the switch pushed it in place. It took like 5 minutes total. I can’t believe I didn’t do this the first time when I spent hours down there trying to fit it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom