FJ62 rear (red) taillights staying on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

echodeuce

LC Fiend
Threads
Just started to have this issue. I’ll turn off the wagon and the red tail lights stay on even when I’m not even running the lights. Anyone ever have this issue? Possibly the shifter is lose? Thanks.

you likely wore through the small rubber bump pad that sits between the brake light switch and the top of the brake pedal arm.
as a short term fix you can tape a penny/nickel/quarter in its pace. The brakes lights stay on since the switch button goes through the hole left where the rubber bump pad sat and thinks that you’ve depressed the brake pedal.

the bump pads are readily available.

Pushed the tranny shifter forward with a purpose and they shut off. Rubber shifter gasket perhaps after all? Still having the issue. I will also check the brake pedal gasket too.

Well look what I found on the floor mat underneath the brake pedal. Y’all are on top of it. Best place to order online? My nearest dealer is 20 miles away and I’d rather not go into a covid19 infested city. Currently a quarter has the lights turned off.
E0C3A11E-06EA-4E2F-9EA7-6A0AAEF1830F.jpeg

That is the correct number. I’ll get my Toyota dealer to order it. They usually get stuff in 48 hours.

That is the correct number. I’ll get my Toyota dealer to order it. They usually get stuff in 48 hours.

They're cheap enough, get a couple.

Installation will be potentially more frustrating than you would think since it's only a small rubber item. You'll need to depress the brake pedal to feed the tip of the cushion through the hole and with pliers grab the tip and pull the cushion fully into the hole. Cramped space makes this tricky.

My dealer parts department will have them delivered in the AM. Ordered a couple of spares too. Thanks!

Any tips or tricks on how to install it? Been trying for a hour and can’t get it in? Possibly disconnect the brake pedal link where the cotter pin is?

Any tips or tricks on how to install it? Been trying for a hour and can’t get it in? Possibly disconnect the brake pedal link where the cotter pin is?

I resorted to a bit of silicone grease on it. Then I just stuck it in the hole, and let the pressure of the pedal spring push it in place against the switch. I think the suggestion here would be the best:

You'll need to depress the brake pedal to feed the tip of the cushion through the hole and with pliers grab the tip and pull the cushion fully into the hole.

I am not sure if putting grease on it is a good idea or not, but I was so pissed about not being able to get this little thing in I went for it. Was the only thing that got it in place for me. HTH.

What’s the procedure to pull the pedal out. I’ve tried three times and can’t get it in.

Remove the cotter pin and push the bolt out that attaches the pedal to the brake master.
Then its just a bolt and nut way up at the top.
Anything I should know about reinstalling? Should everything go back the way it was when I put it back or will it need adjustment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom