FJ62 Horn Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you don't want to invest in a puller, you can back off that 19mm nut halfway, then tug the wheel off like you mean it and the nut keeps you from eating the steering wheel when you release it from bondage. :)

if you don't want to invest in a puller, you can back off that 19mm nut halfway, then tug the wheel off like you mean it and the nut keeps you from eating the steering wheel when you release it from bondage. :)
I've gotten to where I can hold it with one hand and smack it just right from the backside (giggity) and it pops off the first time, every time I remove it.

Thanks for the write-up and pics. Same part and procedure worked for me on my 1989 BJ75.

I'll add a few pics of my own. I pulled the plastic assembly off the column and removed the light switch assembly in order to get the circlip back on. Was able to remove it without pulling the switch, but no way was I getting it back on with said switch in place.

IMG_20230604_191705482.jpg

IMG_20230604_190206825.jpg

IMG_20230604_190233504.jpg

IMG_20230604_190844276.jpg

Last edited:
1988 FJ62

My horn works but it doesn’t sound good. I though I needed to replace the horn but now I’m thinking it might be the pin.

Would a bad pin produce a tin-like, thin horn sound?

Has anyone ever swapped out the horn before with an aftermarket horn?
@nathanbsmith, It's one bolt and two wire connectors, for each of the two horns. Super easy to replace. I put a horn in that sounds more like a truck and less like a vw bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom