FJ62 Headlight Upgrade Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed LED from JW Speaker and upgraded the wiring harness from Daniel Stern lighting. Huge difference !!
D0B107B6-4E0E-446F-98E0-FB25CD645CBA.jpeg

Hi, 003385001 Hella if used , would the Hellas be plug and play ? Mike

Hi, 003385001 Hella if used , would the Hellas be plug and play ? Mike

hella halogen bulbs in h4 housings would be plug and play with the stock 62 harness. If you decide to run the higher wattage bulbs you would benefit from the heavier wiring and extra relays. Also be sure that the spade terminals are shiny clean otherwise they will raise resistance, increase heat, and can result in melted connectors.

Do you still need to upgrade the wiring for LEDs since they use less power compared to halogen bulbs ?

you have to upgrade the wiring for LED’s not because of the amount of power they use but because the stock 60/62 circuit design is backwards to what the LED needs to function properly. You need the adapter harness to fix this.

I am thinking about doing this too. It's fine in LA where we both live, but I travel a ton with my 62 and am concerned about getting caught in snow. Anyone know a LED heater solution?

the funny thing is that dry snow often the LEDs work better. No heat and no reason to stick. Where Halogens have snow build up with almost all snow when it’s heavy and lots of traffic. They will burn a hole through some portion of snow but even halogens can get buried

the funny thing is that dry snow often the LEDs work better. No heat and no reason to stick. Where Halogens have snow build up with almost all snow when it’s heavy and lots of traffic. They will burn a hole through some portion of snow but even halogens can get buried
I just installed an LED kit on my 62 from cruiser corps. Looking for any insights on the “orange wire” it is a female connector that has nothing to connect to. I also have the same hi beam low beam problem where the low beams turnoff. I have not done any harness or wiring upgrades - looking for help

Here ya go.

I just installed an LED kit on my 62 from cruiser corps. Looking for any insights on the “orange wire” it is a female connector that has nothing to connect to. I also have the same hi beam low beam problem where the low beams turnoff. I have not done any harness or wiring upgrades - looking for help
You need a conversion harness in order to run LEDs in a 60 or 62.

So I did the upgrade exactly as described in post 51 and it has been working great until last night. I went out and cranked up the cruiser and had no headlights. No high beams, no low beams. All other electronics and running lights are working fine. I checked the fuses in the harness and they are good an both the headlight fuses are good as well.

Any thoughts on where to look next?

If the fuses are good I would check to see if you have power and ground at the headlight connector. If no then go check to see if the relay is firing. If yes then try a new bulb.

Here is another write-up if you want to compare wiring. I'm going to follow this for my 62 as it seems pretty simple.

Just finished the install on my 62. I went with SMS harness and Hella H1/H4 housings with Hella +50% halogen bulbs for each. Came in at $450 delivered all in. Went this route as it was important to me to keep the "sealed beam" look to the lenses which these Hellas do.

Worth a note, before you start I'd suggest ordering new retainer screws at a minimum. I also got new adjustment screws and springs but could have probably reused those. Retainers were all toast.

Prior to my install my hi beams didn't really work so my before is just low beam.

IMG_6036.jpg

Here is new:

IMG_6947.jpg

IMG_6948.jpg

I ran my relays next to my battery. Not a ton of room as I have a Group 27 battery but they seem secure enough just from the wiring below them to hold in place. So no mounting plate or anything.

IMG_6916.jpg

Ran my wiring across front of condenser (and under my trans cooler) to driver side. Zip-tied a few spots where possible.

IMG_6808.jpg

Just finished the install on my 62. I went with SMS harness and Hella H1/H4 housings with Hella +50% halogen bulbs for each. Came in at $450 delivered all in. Went this route as it was important to me to keep the "sealed beam" look to the lenses which these Hellas do.

Worth a note, before you start I'd suggest ordering new retainer screws at a minimum. I also got new adjustment screws and springs but could have probably reused those. Retainers were all toast.

Prior to my install my hi beams didn't really work so my before is just low beam.

View attachment 3264350

Here is new:

View attachment 3264351

View attachment 3264352

I ran my relays next to my battery. Not a ton of room as I have a Group 27 battery but they seem secure enough just from the wiring below them to hold in place. So no mounting plate or anything.

View attachment 3264353

Ran my wiring across front of condenser (and under my trans cooler) to driver side. Zip-tied a few spots where possible.

View attachment 3264355
The PO said he had the headlights "upgraded" about 10 years ago on my FJ62. They have "Wagner Halogen" written across the lens. They work alright, but there has to be something better with today's technology. What are y'all using? I know I don't want the funky looking projector lights TLC uses on their builds.

View attachment 1414209
Used the kit from Torfab. Easy to install and makes a gigantic difference. Price point was one of the deciding factors for me as well.

B0B2408B-3691-40C9-9A18-BC2EF993C150.jpeg

0D661A48-799A-44E8-A565-6DF631DB5F3D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom