FJ62 Headlight Upgrade Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

echodeuce

LC Fiend
Threads
The PO said he had the headlights "upgraded" about 10 years ago on my FJ62. They have "Wagner Halogen" written across the lens. They work alright, but there has to be something better with today's technology. What are y'all using? I know I don't want the funky looking projector lights TLC uses on their builds.

IMG_5339.JPG

Trucklite is making some well rated 7" round LED head lights. There's a number of trucks either using the brand name variety (Trucklite ~ $160; GE ~ $200) or the knockoffs ($50-$160). They also have a version that fits your application but I haven't seen anyone post pictures of them on a 62. That's quite a bit of coin to get a set of four.

Amazon.com: Truck-Lite (27450C) Headlamp: Automotive

I upgraded the wiring and replaced the lamps with stock replacements. Day and night difference

I upgraded the wiring and replaced the lamps with stock replacements. Day and night difference
Second this. Upgrading the stock wiring harness was a huge improvement and easy to do. Then get new housing and H4 and H1 bulbs and move away from the sealed beam system if you want.

Last edited:
Second this. Upgrading the stock wiring harness was a huge improvement and easy to do. Then get new housing and H4 and H1 bulbs and move away from the sealed beam system if you want.

+1 I did the same and got IPF glass, excellent.

If you live anywhere cold like I do, LED's freeze over quickly in snowy conditions

Sounds like this is the way to go. What exactly do I need to do? Order the harnesses? Then get the bulbs? Not sure what the "new housing" is??

harness can be built, or bought from @slcfj62 . housing is a housing that looks like and mounts in place of the oem lamps, and accepts a modern bayonette style bulb . if you check out headlight harness in search, lots of info, including diagrams will be available. I built my harness using tips from SLCfj62s diagrams, tweeked slightly to my liking/parts stash. There is ALOT of voltage drop in the OEM harness. while you're into this, check out the under steering column connection and your under dash grounds.

Sounds like this is the way to go. What exactly do I need to do? Order the harnesses? Then get the bulbs? Not sure what the "new housing" is??

Scroll down the page, and you will see the kits they sell for our rigs. You'll need both looms/wiring harnesses since you have 62 as opposed to the 60. Having 4 headlights definitely doesn't make this upgrade cheaper

Cruiser Outfitters

Here is an h4 bulb housing conversion set (these are the high/low) Amazon.com: HELLA 003177801 164x103mm H4 High/Low Beam Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit (ECE): Automotive
You would also need a pair of the h1 housings as well.
Using these you can use modern H4 and H1 bulbs readily available and with way more options for light output and brands. Also you only have to switch out the bulb and not the whole housing when one goes bad. Definitely adds to the conversion cost but you can do it in steps, first harness and keep sealed beams (which will be an improvement) and then the modern housing later if you wish.

Another vote for upgrading the wiring and going with an H4/H1 setup. I've been using halogen bulbs in mine for years and have no complaints, but I do have to change them every couple years (less often with the H1s because I don't use my high beams often).

Though I saw these posted on Facebook by @torfab (at least I think it was Torfab if I remember right) and am curious to see how they compare to halogens and if they're worth the price. H4 Bulb | 9003 Bulb 70 W H4 Headlight bulb | Led Lights | Led Light Bar | Lifetime Led Lights

I don't know if I posted those bulbs, definitely not my favorite way to go. I would go with replacement LED housings to get the correct light pattern. I would go halogens or replacement LED housings. Halogen lights are actually friendlier to the eyes and you can see more detail.

IMG_1205.JPG
I am working on getting a set of Trucklites working in my 62 with a @slcfj62 custom harness. The low beams work great and I am having a little trouble getting high and low beams to come on together on the high beam setting.

Initial impressions are similar to the Trucklites I had in my old 60: they throw a lot of light and are a major improvement over the stock sealed beams. Will update somewhere, maybe on one of the other threads about LEDs once we work out the bugs.
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG

Rip that ugly "Chevy Caprice" front clip off, and go with JW Speaker 7" round eyes. Far and away the very best aftermarket headlight beam. Nothing comes close.

This guy has a good review of the popular 7" round LED's; I'd like to see a comparison of the square offerings. I had my personal preference based upon looks alone but this made me rethink which one to go with.

They have videos for 4x6", too. I went with Trucklites for three reasons: prior experience with 7" rounds, aesthetics (I personally liked the TL better than Speakers), and cost. $689 for 4 TL versus $800 for JWS. It's a lot, but I consider it a safety upgrade.

I went with LEDs as well. I have the Maxximas. I also have the issue with not having lows and highs come on together. Makes the high beams about worthless. It's not a huge deal for me as I don't really drive with the highs on and have some aux lights if needed. I had a shop look at it and they just said it is what it is. If someone has a solution I'm all ears.

i tried hid from dapper lighting. the guys with to be lenses have had very good experience. with the retrofit for the square lenses i wasn't so pleased. the cut off was good but there was a dark spot in the middle of the road. they also shifted from low to high only so i didn't have all the lights on at the same time. they weren't all that well sealed as i found dead bugs in the housings suggesting water would easily get in there too. lastly i had one ballast that intermittently stopped working. i went back to my hellas with an ipf harness and really am quite happy. i just came through a winter storm that caused even them to start icing up but could see where the heat had melted the ice directly on the lense. leds would have covered right up. for the price i paid for my hellas they are well worth it. ill sell you my hids though if you want!!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom