FJ62 hasn't ran in 10+ years-Need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening, I've spent years building and working on Toyota Mini trucks, and finally am making the leap to something more exciting.

I'm picking up an 1988 FJ62 this week from a good friend of mine. The rig has been sitting in a field at his farm in the Delta area of Nor Cal for a decade. From what I can tell, it's all original, and was only parked because a power steering hose had a pin hole and was removed, for replacement. The Jose was never put back on hiwever.

My questions are as follows:

What's the first thing I should do to deal with getting the motor running and clean out the fuel system?

With that much time exposed, is the steering box garunteed to need a full rebuild?

Body is straight and interior looks good for being parked in a field so long. Any additional advice is appreciated in terms of getting her road worthy and smoggable.

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

Like any car that has been sitting for a period of time, I would recommend pulling the gas tank and having it cleaned professionally. A lot of radiator shops will do this and have chemical baths to dip them in, just call around. You may be lucky and the gas that was in it could have been pre-ethanol since it was sitting for ten years; I have seen some terrible corrosion due to ethanol.

I would remove the spark plugs and put a little marvel mystery oil down each cylinder (maybe an ounce), let it sit for 24 hour, then turn the motor by hand. I'd actually do this before I messed with the gas tank to make sure your motor is even free.

I don't see any reason why the steering box would be bad unless the seals deteriorated. Most likely all your seals will need to be checked. I'd imagine calipers will need attention, knuckles, etc.

Other people should chime in, but I'd do a full bumper to bumper inspection, starting with the engine to see if it is seized, and then look at your skill level versus labor, time, and parts to see if you are okay putting anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands into it.

Good luck :cheers:

I appreciate the advice. I've heard kerosene works well to pour into the cylinders and let it sit a while. Once I get it to the house, I'll see what is in store for me.

Any additional tips are appreciated. I'm in The North Bay Area of CA if anyone has some local shops they trust.

I've heard kerosene works well to pour into the cylinders and let it sit a while. .

I would use the oil. After 10 years the bores will be as dry as a bone. It may need oil to seal the gap between the piston ring and the bore.
Once the oil has been sitting in there, I would turn it over on the starter till you get oil pressure.
I think you can still get the PS hose for the F62.

Looks good for the age. Make sure you make a video of its first start for a decade

I would use the oil. After 10 years the bores will be as dry as a bone. It may need oil to seal the gap between the piston ring and the bore.
Once the oil has been sitting in there, I would turn it over on the starter till you get oil pressure.
I think you can still get the PS hose for the F62.

Looks good for the age. Make sure you make a video of its first start for a decade

Totally agree. You can turn it over with the plugs out and the oil that is left will blow out. Good point on building oil pressure first, I forgot to recommend that.

change all fluids. plan on replacing every seal- you can try to do all at once, or let it tell you which ones when after you get it going. DO NOT DRIVE on the road before KNOWING the brakes and steering are 100%, you may have seal issues with steering, brakes, transmission, and diffs, as well as valve stem seals and front and rear crank seals. It sounds like an Ston of work, but you got a decent starting point. Take care of drivability issues and rust before thinking about bling or sound systems and you'll be in good shape before too long. Hit up Georg at Valley Hybrids. period.

Yup get yourself acquainted with Georg @ Valley Hybrid in Stockton (@orangefj45) as he will be your supply for parts, knowledge, and the occasional beer to help with the nerves.

Think everyone has covered the necessities for now.. Since it is a 62 and could have had some electrical eaten by raccoons and other furberrers I would probably start going through the electrical as well, at least major system stuff, to see that there are no VISIBLE issues.

I talked to Georg at Valley Hybrids today. Definitely seems like a good dude, and someone I will do business with once I tear into this thing. The plan is to pick her up on Monday. Hopefully this rain holds off a little so I can start in on the fuel system first.

Dropping the fuel tank is a real pain, before doing that I would drain it and see what comes out, then decide if dropping it is warranted.
Since I haven't gotten underneath it yet, is there any type of drain plug, or a good way to pump it out?

yeah, there's a plug...disconnect battery first

he needed to ask about a plug.

Since I haven't gotten underneath it yet, is there any type of drain plug, or a good way to pump it out?

Drop the spare tire and you'll see the drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank. When you pull the plug have containers ready that can handle up to 20 gallons unless you know how much fuel is in the tank. 10 years old gas will be rancid and stink worse than regular fuel.

Thanks for all the support and referrals everybody!

Adam, thanks for the call. Feel free to call me back once you have the cruiser at your place.

I will be at KOH starting Wednesday afternoon and will only have spotty reception until Saturday afternoon.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Same process for getting your power antenna working! Never force a "dry" antenna! :rofl:

Hi, My bet is the sock in the gas tank and fuel filter are history ,this would mean dropping the tank and boiling it out. Georg is the go to guy. Back rear drums are probably frozen and will need work. Any leaks at differentials may mean they have little to no fluids in them, check fluid levels. I might not try to start this cruiser for several days after oil is put into the cylinders.Check transmission fluid carefully and do not tow this on the ground . Have fun. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom