Builds fj62 gets a lift (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_3628.JPG

boost controller in. batteries back in. air filter cleaned up. just waiting for paint to dry. oilers are winning and i have a quad malt beer waiting in my fridge!! good evening so far!

edit: yeah yeah the oilers lost. shut up:(

Last edited:
IMG_3629.JPG
IMG_3632.JPG

all back together. the top pic is how tight the rad is but it fits!! pump and catch can are hanging off the bracket and arb and webasto mounted. arb is hooked up. webasto to come. i also need some larger diameter hose to hook up the catch can. maybe tomorrow or this weekend.

boost set to 12 psi now. i'm planning to go up to 15. want to adjust things slowly though as i tune. i am taking it in for injectors and maybe a pump refresh if needed monday. final tuning will be done after that

That's very good work. I bet that catch can gonna do wonders! I see your filter breather is soaked in oil. Next on my list is a provent 200 as well. My intake is coated in oil, as I have it routed like that pre turbo.

that's why i kept it disconnected but yes my breather is leaking lots of oil and i'm tired of drips on my floor and a messy engine. better than it all going back into the intake though and mucking it all up.

thanks for the nice comments. the bracket felt solid enough but with it all
mounted up i may need to add one extra strut. we'll see if it sags over time. it's fun building this stuff but does take me off the road for a few days at a time and i think i like driving it more than building.

IMG_3643.JPG

hooked up the catch can. it has two inputs and one vent so i teed it instead of plugging one off. necessary no but why not use it. i don't have anything else that needs to vent.

tomorrow it goes in for injector overhaul and final install of intercooler. then a good bath!!

installed a brake controller tonight. it's the hopkins insight controller. i don't totally love where the display is as it looks "stuck on" (which it really is). i'd love to rescess it into the dash but dont want to cut my dash. it'll do here for now.
IMG_3652.JPG

the module is hidden up inside my centre console.
IMG_3650.JPG
i then put the manual brake controller right in front of my cup holders. that way in a pinch i can drop a gear or into neutral and my hand will fall right onto the controller.
IMG_3651.JPG
IMG_3653.JPG
i still have to wire it up but at least all the wires are run and hidden.

with the upcoming cleaning i apparently need to vacuum too!!

truck is finally back after two weeks in the shop getting intercooler installed and injectors built. HOLY COW does it move now. only problems i see are the smoke screw may be turned up a little too high. seemed to settle though as the engine warmed up. too much unburnt fuel coming out the pipe for my liking though. also they mounted it right where i had asked them to leave room for my air box so it might not fit now. they said they'd take care of that though if i had troubles. i have it set for 15 psi and it sounds like boosted semi truck!! butt dyno said it's a super substantial power increase. ill post pictures tonight

Good morning Sask! I am from Edmonton originally but have been living in the Middle East and Texas since 2001. Wife and I just got a 1990 FJ62 from the original owners here in Houston and enjoying your thread. I do have one question for you! I attached a photo of your dash, circled a piece of the dash that ours is missing and was wondering if you still had that cover piece and were willing to let it go? Looking at it I think it just clipped into place but I am not 100% on it. Just thought to ask you as you have already replaced it and perhaps you had to cut it out......thanks!

Or if anyone can push me in the direction of where to locate that piece it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will keep watching this thread for ideas!

Missing Dash PIece.jpeg

i actually haven't gotten rid of that piece and am still using it. i was going to but my digital gauge in there but the lighting won't allow me to see the numbers from that angle. i do have to go to a wrecker some time to find a few parts and i know of a couple fj62 out there. ill see if i can find you one. yours is blue grey i assume? i don't know when ill get there but ill try to remember when i do

i actually haven't gotten rid of that piece and am still using it. i was going to but my digital gauge in there but the lighting won't allow me to see the numbers from that angle. i do have to go to a wrecker some time to find a few parts and i know of a couple fj62 out there. ill see if i can find you one. yours is blue grey i assume? i don't know when ill get there but ill try to remember when i do

Whoops! Sorry! Haha. I thought the gauge was still in there but that is obviously not the case. SURE, I will take any help I can get trying to find that piece! No hurry whatsoever. Nice rig too by the way!! Keep going!

so just want to give a shout out to impact diesel performance in saskatoon. they rebuild my injectors and tuned the truck and it's amazing. injectors were only about $800 canadian so that's like 1/2 price for you south of the border guys with the way our dollar is!! they didn't leave enough room unfortunately for the air box so they said bring it back and they'll make it right. stand up group of guys and a well run business. i have to say i'm impressed with their quality of work and willingness to back it up!!

this is why i don't like letting shops work on my truck. it seems like there's always something i have to fix after. something like changing oil and diff fluids should be a simple job. i guess not. instead of using the fill plug they decided the top bolt on my diff cover should work fine. well it was way over filled and has been puking out excess oil out the breather. what a mess
View attachment 1448944

if they pulled the top bolt of the diff cover, there is just a threaded hole there. No access to the fluid cavity of the diff.

Probably overfilled another way.

the stud holes go right into the diff housing. with the nitro cover it's a bolt and not a stud so when taken out it does leave a hole into the diff. there was fresh oil residue around the hole and none around the full plug so that's still my working diagnosis.

i am still grinning at the power improvement. it's just awesome. climbing a certain 3/4 mile
hill towards my home i use to floor it and i'd be doing 90km/hr by the top. now getting into the throttle i'm 107km/hr and still accelerating 3/4 the way up the hill and have to let off. no definite numbers in terms of a dyno but definitely more life!! also my egts are on average 100 degrees f lower than they were even with the tune. the intercooler is doing its job. i can't get them over 600f no matter how hard i push. with a big trailer that'll change i'm sure but i have tons of room to go here!!

while my truck is back in the shop getting the intercooler adjustments made i figured i should get my new speaker covers ready for the install. i got a custom paint match so the covers and install rings will be colour matched to my interior. a few adjustments are needed to get the new 6.5s in the front doors i just couldn't bring myself to buy 5.25s again when i heard the sound quality difference. so another :worms:now
IMG_3740.JPG

more done on the stereo install but it's slow going. one part needed to be repainted as it pealed. now it's bubbling:bang:

i did get the holes cut for the component speakers and one of them installed. i also got a couple wires run from door to inside the cab. that's a pain rewrapping the wires in that small space. slow but sure. it'll sound good when done though
IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3800.JPG
IMG_3801.JPG

Last edited:
another few hours of work tonight. i have one door done and wired up and the amp half wired up. some wires are run from the drivers door but one more set to go plus the rear speakers. wow this is a big job. the rears will go quick though. maybe tomorrow night!
IMG_3805.JPG
IMG_3806.JPG

it's not quite as clean as stock but i'm a function over form guy and these sound way better than 5.25 inch speakers. i think it looks pretty good considering and the paint is actually an exact match for the plastic trim pieces so they do look like they belong

in behind the door card the speaker is sealed. i also reinforced the card with thin underlay plywood. worked really well.
IMG_3807.JPG

Last edited:
second door is done. looks good and sounds pretty good too.
IMG_3808.JPG

now wiring in my brake controller. guess what this is?
IMG_3809.JPG

yep my wiring to my brake light switch. i was testing the hot and cold side with my voltmeter and one wire just broke off. i moved the second to see if i just saw what i thought i saw and the second broke off. sick!!! ill have to order a new brake sensor tomorrow. hope they are still available. and now i find i don't have the right gauge wire!!! doh!! oh well. there's always tomorrow.

Last edited:
brake light sensor still available and ordered. hopefully that wont be too big of a deal to swap out.... looks pretty simple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom