FJ62 Big Blue stuck shifter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all- my 1989 FJ62 drove fine yesterday, parked it in the driveway and this morning I can't get it into gear. The shifter will move out of park but not into gear. I haven't driven it in a week, apparently my wife noticed it being more difficult to keep the shifter into the park position. I am pretty green when it comes to mechanical stuff but love to learn by doing... where should I start? Should I start?

cJqRHdEirInOjuWKyswF5prcdX43Du_mLqQ7vpxwKM2awr8sf8Nsi1lbp72Fm3N5gTl3ZOeCxhII6Nk-nZH-Zzh-PngCWhuNCpthHE4JEVeMpoRhQc0TOZO9hJVDrntNHXPZYOSuD0102x34OI-T6vEYQzvIzPtOGYcj-o2RbVj0GzAnEzuDIx3-ob7bP0EoC801fDpD_WMbKu1qrfASufz9NyU0rBBT5RMPldUDRJsY2mxsTlsVYE4pJmAu4u8WE_9whPLGB2AofHI3yScBL9iCplPoN8hc21AtkicCIVU0BEUkk_EF83kYnXgxxy3un6WSx6eA16bnetOc7J2p14HPxTXtNGreThdX8ybsPrFFW5uc7rI3ofPyGAtxi0Ljm1bwRsvJsOcONY4ACE7dAkdTCnSSVC1Pb1fkcYWGTtsIm4_kLfbJz7_-_o9jvbgcMSXWECyFX3iXaltHpnzlort7XrqtuuTCiGqDA4xXzmCRFhZcN-V6lJqTLs4ZVXLX5U5LalcrriWKKkkPdAdON1StBzv-plUlT8S9UvOl81D1spr46yhvlAHyy4kYom_Td9Sf2xseSRxQgDCksr6w4qgBZlpebxr6mAjagQBJyrps2uFewxWlwQ=w818-h613-no

more info needed.
do you have full range of motion in the shifter? R N D 3 2 1 ?
does it feel like it "clicks" at each location?

Very little range of motion. I can depress the button on the shifter, it will come out of park, but it stops before reverse.

So linkage is all together, but noticed some transmission fluid hanging on some bolts. So I warmed up the engine and checked the transmission fluid and it's low, just below the cool mark...dang it. Next steps? Fill? Service tranny? Myself or take it in?

Hi, Fill first. Then go back and adjust linkage in the above posted picture. Mike

I actually got a chance to look at it today, but James was not home, I had no keys that would start it, so was only able to look at what I could.

What I noticed was, trans level looked close enough when cold, fluid looked ok and didn't smell burnt, no big leaks, its just a little wet like most. I didn't crawl under to look at the linkage because I actually was dressed decent this morning ;)

engine off, the shiftier only moves from park to reverse, will not move into any other gears. (because I dont drive our 62 often, its the wife's) I came home and compared to our 90 fj62, which even when off will move into all gears.

my 1st thought, is the linkage is out of whack, loose, binding not hooked up. Pretty sure its not an internal trans issue.

So the linkage is all intact with a ton of wiggle. Took it all apart... bushing at the base of the shifter was falling apart. Other two rubber ones in the linkage below are pretty worn. Should I be able to pull on the last lever of the linkage and shift the transmission manually by hand? I can pull on it and it goes about an inch and springs back to the original position.

With the lever straight up and down you should be able to move the lever back one position or forward five positions, for a total of seven positions (P, R, N, D, 3, 2, L). I just checked this in my garage with the transmission shown in my photos - shifts forward and back with ease, with a noticeable click at each position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom