FJ62 4WD not working,,,, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The pic is as it was,, by green ports u mean the open facing towards front of truck, correct? (Where lines r currently hooked up is green too) so r they supposed to b on those ports & ones they r currently on open ( no lines) if operating normal?
Thks!

someone could have put the hubs together wrong???
you will need to remove the locking hubs first, hard to say what a PO has done

You have two separate issues at the moment, maybe 3.

1. The two green nipples coming off your solenoids are missing hoses. See picture attached from my thread years back.

2. With the hubs locked the front driveshaft should not spin.If it is then you need to pull your hubs andmake sure the spring is installed corectly. It is really easy to screw up. There are many threads here and videos on how to do it. The hubs have cone washers and you will need a brass drift to get them off. The hub control cover bolts are very small and can snap real easily when reasembling so I use purple loctite and hand tighten then 1/4 turn.

3. Your 4WD Low shifter should shift the tcase manually into 4WD Low "independent" of the 4WD High button in your truck. If that is not shifting and locking your front driveshaft then the linkage is bound up or someone took the linkage off the top of the tcase and the shift fork dropped which will require some work with the tcase to fix.

So we need more info after you address #1 and #2.

untitled1.jpg

Thanks!
The one with the Y (I marked with red) is going to the 1st metal tube and the second metal tube has a rubber tube (marked in yellow) going to a port on efi,, from you pic looks like the the one with Y (red) should go to port on efi & two short rubber tube should go from metal tubes to front green ports,, hard to c on your pic,,
Is that correct? I will get some tubing & fix

& will research the hub spring,,

I guess PO really messed around 😖

Then on to transfer case
Thks

277B7324-5FD4-4C0A-AD9E-1C4CE9DDB0B0.jpeg

Yours are definitely not hooked up right. I couldn't fine a nice vacuum diagram for the 62 in the manual when I checked. Someone else may have their cruiser by them other wise you'll have to wait until this evening for the proper shot.

Thks,, interesting looks like your red solenoid has the 2 green ports forward

My replacement came off an 88 pickup. They were cheaper than the cruiser version with minor modification. The theory is the same though.

Not that iam up to it yet,, but which vacuum lines would get switched to engage 4wd If problem with electronics?

I re ran the vacuum hoses,,, turned truck on,,,
(H4 button in OFF, hubs in free) & behold the 4WD light went on!! When I push the H4 to ON position the 4WD light goes off 🤔
I have the blue solenoid vac hose going to passenger side metal tube and red going to drivers side,, I thought that’s wht I was seeing on pics sent,, maybe if I switch my inside H4 button will work properly??
So,,, I assume that my transfer case is working properly,,, (besides the L4 shifter),,,
since from what I have heard that the 4WD light is switched from inside transfer case when engaged,,, correct?
Thanks for all the help,,, feeling a lot better with some progress 😃
On to figur hubs

217FC33B-B7FD-4C17-B93D-12344C920271.jpeg

214252B8-1A8E-4E3D-8A68-560A094D0D91.jpeg

I just switched the vac hoses & H4 button works correct, then with H4 off I locked hubs, engine running & the front shaft turned free,,, Then pushed H4 (4WD light on) checked drive shaft and it was locked :D!
I guess that it needs to have H4 on for hubs to truly lock??
I am assuming my hubs are OK & I have 4wd for tomorrows forecast of snow,,,
Next is to look at linkage on L4 shifter
:cheers:

Excellent news man. The linkage needs to be worked and lubed.

Your hubs still need to be checked from your last statement. Sounds like your tcase and 4 High is working but your hubs are not engaging.

If you locked your hubs with the truck in 2WD then the front driveshaft shouldn't turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom