FJ60 steering with flipped FJ60 springs (78 FJ40) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in the FJ40/FJ55 forum but got no feedback. Maybe it'll work here. I'm working on my '78 FJ40. Laying out power steering. I have an '84 FJ60 steering box. I'm planning on a SOA using flipped FJ60 springs. Am I going to run into fitment issues? I'm assuming I'll need to relocate shock towers (F250?). If the towers are moved forward with the spring flip, will they interfere with the FJ60 box placement? Should I just do Saginaw instead? Running a 5.3LS if it matters.

A lot of guys here prefer the 60 box. Search FC187 here and on pirate and you should find some detailed pics of the situation.
There is a thread on here with pics of this same install , a 60 box on a 40.

60 box on a 55 ..stock tower trimmed.
20150629_191731.jpg

Mount your FJ60 box on a 3/4 inch spacer plate to outboard it from the frame a bit (I also tap the holes in the plate and bolt the box to the plate rather than sleeving the frame). Make the spacer plate long enough to mount the shock tower to it as well. Fits clean with no interference with the radiator mount or the shock tower.

Also, ditch the FJ60 pittman arm and use one from an '80 series.

Mark...

60 springs are not shorter than 40 springs.

The front springs are almost the same (there is a argument over 1/2", but the center pins are located differently), but the OP is talking about using the much longer, FJ60 rear springs.

Im running 60 fronts on my 40 and they pushed the forward axle about 1". I believe 60 front springs are also centered between the bushing eyes. Just adding some information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom