Fj60 Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kev60

TLCA Member:23722
Threads
Hi, I have a couple of questions for the FJ60 community. First question is some advice on wiring for my headlights. I replaced the stock switch for my headlights with another land-cruisers switch (after my turn signal would not work any more) that was a few years newer. Not everything lined up ( since the new cluster did not include the shaft for the headlights) and the shaft for the original switch was a different length but I eventually got it lined up so everything works. My problem is that my brights are always on since the shaft is always leaning forward for the brights. I can get the regular lights to go on but I have to hold the switch. The switch doesn't sit in the middle anymore and I am wondering if I am missing a spring or some part to hold the shaft there. If someone could just explain how the switch works for the brights than I may be able to figure out how to fix it. My other question was has any one found any after market fuel sender units for the FJ60, my fuel gauge always goes empty after about half and I have tried taking it out and cleaning it with no luck. I have only found one and its almost $200 which is more than I wish too spend on it. My last question is if anyone has put a small block chevy 350 with a NV4500 in a land-cruiser and if so how it handles, highway speed, and what transfer case they are running.

@cruiseroutfit has the fuel sender for $170, and as for the steering column switch, someone here did a refab of a later model year like you, hope they will chime in? @gman or @mwebfj60 ? Sorry if I called up the wrong members.
I believe you would use the Toyota Xfr with an adapter behind the 350 drivetrain...

2/3 down the page:
Cruiser Outfitters

Last edited:
@cruiseroutfit has the fuel sender for $170, and as for the steering column switch, someone here did a refab of a later model year like you, hope they will chime in? @gman or @mwebfj60 ? Sorry if I called up the wrong members.
I believe you would use the Toyota Xfr with an adapter behind the 350 drivetrain...

2/3 down the page:
Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks for the quick reply. Okay yeah I just stumbled upon that one but still why is it so much more expensive than the 40 series sending unit? And what is the Toyota xfr?

Chasing a needle in a haystack... I do not know if this helps...

Truck > FJ60 intermittent wiper assembly swap

I meant the original splitcase toyota transfer with adapter behind the 350 mashup. What year is your sixty?
There were changes in drivetrain mid-year 1984-1985.

Chasing a needle in a haystack... I do not know if this helps...

Truck > FJ60 intermittent wiper assembly swap

I meant the original splitcase toyota transfer with adapter behind the 350 mashup. What year is your sixty?
There were changes in drivetrain mid-year 1984-1985.

Oh understood! Its a 1982 but does not have the stock tranny or transmission. I believe its newer but don't really have a clue.

Can you post some pics?

Can you post some pics?
Here’s a bad pic of the transfer case. I can get a better one next week when it stops snowing where I’m at.
6A3732BF-87DE-4D0E-A781-710544952975.jpeg

Looks like the stock transfer case and stock transmission also has the after market transfer case to transmission cross flow thing

That's the stock Xfr case and it has the bypass hose which equalizes the gear oil for both the Transmission and Transfer, that's a good thing. Edit, txmotor beat me to it.
When it stops snowing :rofl: I hear ya! This is the time of year for the Beartooths to get dumped on.
Search on this forum for other threads about the 350/NV4500 peformance and ride.

Reactions: OSS
That's the stock Xfr case and it has the bypass hose which equalizes the gear oil for both the Transmission and Transfer, that's a good thing. Edit, txmotor beat me to it.
When it stops snowing :rofl: I hear ya! This is the time of year for the Beartooths to get dumped on.
Search on this forum for other threads about the 350/NV4500 peformance and ride.
Shoot I didn't mean not stock I meant not original. I replaced my original tranny a few years ago with a used one from different year, sorry for the miscommunication.

Also do you know of a way just to disconnect the brights? I wouldn't even mind just wiring in a switch on the dash to turn on my brights.

And yes I have been playing in the snow a lot this year but after almost seven months of having snow on the ground it is getting really old!

Shoot I didn't mean not stock I meant not original. I replaced my original tranny a few years ago with a used one from different year, sorry for the miscommunication.

Also do you know of a way just to disconnect the brights? I wouldn't even mind just wiring in a switch on the dash to turn on my brights.

And yes I have been playing in the snow a lot this year but after almost seven months of having snow on the ground it is getting really old!

I do not know how to mess with the electric switch, but I bet someone could chime in here with their expertise.
April always drags on with snowsqualls, and sunny hours, then another squall...

You could always put a switch in series with the ground for the brights

When my headlight wiring went out (fried ground behind dash that I finally got around to discovering years later- no time to fix it) I did that exact thing. Rewired the headlights with all new wire using switches in the center console. One was On & low beams, the other switched the hi beams. It technically worked perfectly (worked as planned) but in real world driving, having the high beam switch down at the center console was a very inconvenient pain. Definitely not recommended unless no other option exists.

The reason being that with a stick shift, your right hand is usually busy on the stick and if you need to quickly dim the brights because of oncoming traffic and are shifting at the same time (which seems to always happen) the oncoming car gets blasted by high beams way too long... which is dangerous for you too.

It wasn't until I finally got the steering column light switch working again that driving at night became a lot easier & safer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom