fj60 power steering for pigs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm digging up an old one here, sorry. How did this work out for you with the box positioned with the mounting bolts split between the engine mount? Seems like the most natural spot. When cycling and suspension articulating did you find any interference brtween the tie rod and drag link?
This thread is the best one I finally found about 60 power steering. Funny it does not come up with a search. I found it in the sticky. Why I never look there first:bang: Other threads had engine conversions or mounted the pump way too far forward for my liking. This position with the two rearward mounting bolts directly under the engine mount was the first place my gut told me, but I guess I was looking for some justification from the Forum! Shock hoops for sure in this position.
One thing you might keep in mind is if you will want to run a steering stabilizer, and factor that into your thinking.
There are a ton of theories out there on whether you need one or not.
Mr T put them on at the factory. My Pig doesn't have one and seems happy. My 40 gets an ocassional wobble that seem much better now with new tires. The 40 probably also needs new bushings in the front springs and knuckles rebuilt. So does Pig...

I think the center arm trucks need stabilizers because the geometry of the drag link.

With a nice 60/80/saginaw setup you can get a properly dropped pitman arm that will allow near parallel drag and tie rod.

With proper caster and new components like bearings and TREs I’ve never needed one.

I think the center arm trucks need stabilizers because the geometry of the drag link.

With a nice 60/80/saginaw setup you can get a properly dropped pitman arm that will allow near parallel drag and tie rod.

With proper caster and new components like bearings and TREs I’ve never needed one.
A few pieces to the puzzle...

What are the negatives of running a stabilizer, especially with a larger tire than stock?

None but some of the bolt in setups people put on there are so janky.

I am shooting for proper Drag link/tie rod geometry. The stock setup is practiclly on top of each other with the caveat of moving forward rather than rear which is what will happen with the 60 setup. My project has stalled because of this. Finally decided on a shock hoop so I can move the gear slightly rearward, positioning two of the gear mounting holes right in between the motor mount. I hope this works. :rolleyes: we shall see:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom