fj60 power steering for pigs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks handcannon, I think the body shop my friend works at has an astro that is being totalled. Ill have to go take a look at the pump to see if it survived!

Unfortunately distracted by house projects, but I finally finished mounting the box and shortening the rods so I can move it around soon.

I sleeved the frame like IPOR did, but my location is different. I tried to put the box about where it is on the fj60, so the end of the pitman arm is not way out in front of the tie rod (pic 1). It's a little farther than on a stock fj60, but it fit okay with the pto and motor mounts. Two of the sleeves are behind the motor mount bracket, so they weren't so friendly to weld, but they're done.

My steering shaft is a hybrid of the fj-60 shaft and the fj-55 shaft. IIRC, I used the upper part of the fj-60 shaft (male end of splines) attached to the column with the fj-55 u-joint yoke and the fj-55 female end. I shortened the shaft about 2", sleeved it, and rewelded.

I'm going to be putting fj-60 knuckles/disks on it, so I chose to use all fj-60 parts, for now at least. I shortened the fj-60 drag link just over 2", sleeved and welded and I will do the same for the tie rod when I get the brakes done (2.5" shorter). Maybe I'll buy new rods from Marlin when I have more money, but for now that's how it will be.
ps1.jpg
ps2.jpg
ps3.jpg

FJ60 Power Steering

Wanted to post the Pic's of the powersteering completed along with the steering shaft. This is the IPOR setup with a Borgsen steering shaft.

Lou
img_0777_edited-1 (2).jpg
power steering (2).jpg
IMG_0130.jpg

Last edited:
My 60 P.S. looks the same, but I'd take your inner fenders and motor/sandersons over mine any day... damn clean!

FC did the Scout power steering conversion for me. The diagonal cross-brace (left frame to front crossmember) was included in the deal. Not an optional extra. Granted, an FJ60 box puts out less torque than a Scoutbox, but it's real cheap insurance. Stout frame or not, we've seen frames twisted from power steering boxes. If you're going to do power steering, might as well do it right. Bent/twisted frames are more easily prevented than corrected... You can almost see the leading edge of the brace in pic 2...I gotta get a new camera

i didnt use any bracing or plating on mine, the 55 frame is everybit stout as the 60 frame. so far i have had no problems, no cracks and no loose bolts, lets hope it stays that way. a buddy of mine put scout power on his 55, he developed a crack but the scout only mounts with 3 bolts, maybe thats the difference?

Interesting about the twisted frame, I hadn't given that much thought. I guess that's the benefit of push/pull steering mounted there. FJ60 frames are fully boxed and super stout, I've never see a cross brace on one. It might be worthwhile to consider a support such as you described, though. There are similar (in function and mounting location) aftermarket supports made for crack-prone GM truck frames. Might be worth comparing, probably made by Off-Road Unlimited or Off-Road Design. Hmm, how to build it around the pto driveshaft....

Seems like the motor would be a fairly effective crossmember, too, but maybe there's too much flex in the motor mounts.

I saw a FJ55 once out of the corner of my eye that appeared to be very clean, so I doubled back and hopped out to take a look. Real clean truck except the driver's side frame rail was twisted...The owner had installed a scout II box on it and it appeared to have just repeatedly stressed and tweaked the frame where the box was mounted,untill it stayed that way...(when I saw it,it was only sitting on 33inch tires)
When I installed the 60 box on mine, I had this in the back of my head. There is no gusset or crossmember in the section of frame where the box needs to be mounted...So I started thinking about maybe running a brace from the front crossmember(diag.) to the inside of the rail, right behind the box. I looked through a few service manuals, and came across a diagram of a 60 series' frame that appeared to show the exact same bracing I was considering building.
I am not really familiar with the 60 series, but got the impression from one of your posts that you might be. Have you ever seen anything like this on one? Just kind of curious because the 55 and 60 series frame diagrams looked very similar, and thought maybe Toyota threw in a gusset to keep the frame straight??
scoutbox.JPG
2004_0429Image0002.JPG

Lances set up on "Rusty"

these are a few of "Rusty's" PS set up; finally got it all on last week....the bracket was fabricated by Lance at IPOR; bought from "Schmukster", the steering box is from a TOY minitruck and the PS pump is off a 1987 fj60..thanks again to Schmuckster :) Lance at IPOR also made the hoses and gave invaluble points and support for the installation,,,,,,,,,,,Cheers Lance L)

Lou
Schmuksters Bracket.JPG
Scmuckster's Bracket and PS.JPG

BTW the power steering box was also a rebuilt one from IPOR.............thanks again Lance; cheers!

Lou

FC did the Scout power steering conversion for me. The diagonal cross-brace (left frame to front crossmember) was included in the deal. Not an optional extra. Granted, an FJ60 box puts out less torque than a Scoutbox, but it's real cheap insurance. Stout frame or not, we've seen frames twisted from power steering boxes. If you're going to do power steering, might as well do it right. Bent/twisted frames are more easily prevented than corrected... You can almost see the leading edge of the brace in pic 2...I gotta get a new camera

This is the first time I have heard of anyone who has actually done/ had this done... Twisted rail = NO BUENO!
I currently do not have any strut or brace on my '76 with the 60 box(31" titres), but if it ever steps into bigger shoes it will. Also my '73 I'm currently building will have a crossmember under the 350, and I'll probably use a Scout II box... maybe I'll tie in something to the front brace... we'll see...

Wanted to post the Pic's of the powersteering completed along with the steering shaft. This is the IPOR setup with a Borgsen steering shaft.

Lou

Borgeson shaft mates to 55 and 60 splines? What app? Why not use 60 series shaft?

Also, where can I see pics of your bumpers?

Borgeson shaft mates to 55 and 60 splines? What app? Why not use 60 series shaft?

Also, where can I see pics of your bumpers?

Hey guys, Lance here (not Cam, just logged in as Cam...). I hopped on the thread to cop some pics of Lou's PS conversion for a guy we just sent an FJ60 power steering kit to so that he can see how the parts go together. Thought I'd take a minute to answer the question above:

We use the Borgeson shaft in place of the 55 or 60 shaft because the OD of the joint is smaller and it can fit behind the shock mount on the FJ40 if you grind the tower down some - the u-joint in the 55/60 shaft is too big. On the 55 we use it just because it's cleaner than a modified stock steering shaft. If you can weld you can certainly lengthen the stock 55 shaft and it does the job well. The slip joint is not as long in the stock shaft so measure carefully, and as always make sure your welds are sound - don't want a steering part to fail. (in some localles it may be illegal to weld on a steering component so check before you start your project)

The u-joint you're looking for to mate to Toyota gearbox and shaft is an 11/16-36 spline. We keep these, and the DD telescoping shafts in stock if you need them in a pinch.

HTH,

Lance

Hey Lance,

you are listing the steering U-joint as 11/16" - 36 spline. I dont see this offered by Borgeson. Are you using Borgeson joints? I see 1", 13/16", 3/4" but no 11/16"
What gives?

MB

I used a 1997 F-250 HD power steering box on the inside of the frame and had a local driveline shop make the linkage from the steering column to the box. I think I have the pictures in my album. It works really good for the bolts we welded tubes thru the frame to strengthen it and then made a bracket for the top bolt. I like the Ford box because you can pick a new one up at Schucks/O'Reilly for under $200. With a core. I have a junkyard box in right now and am in the process of changing it out to a new one, just because it is worn out.

on my pig I used, a 60 series box but from a japan (right side)1986 Bj60, what's funny about it is with the location that i have place the box there´s no need of a new shaft or nothing
102_2201.jpg

102_2204.jpg
102_2201.jpg
102_2204.jpg

I searched and found just a couple threads, but nothing very detailed. I want to put 60 ps on my 55, but want to make sure I'm prepared. Engine is out, so I figure it's a good time to do it. Anyone have a detailed writeup and/or pics?
Mine will be 2f powered and sprung *under*. Stock suspension now, hope for custom springs down the road, still SUA, and 33s or 35s.

What parts do I need? I have an '83 fj60 box, column, shaft, pitman arm, hoses. I think I gave away the fj60 drag link. I'm using fj-60 knuckles for disk brake conversion, but have '79 fj-40/55 steering arms to retain the fj-40/55 tie rod. I could go with the 60 arms and shorten a 60 tie rod if it's better to fit the 60 drag link?
What about shock towers? Are F-250 towers the standard? Anyone have a p/n or model year to ask for?
I'm swapping in an fj-60 2f and have the stock p/s pump. Should I keep it or go ahead and use a saginaw pump?

Any other advice or resources?
thanks,

A while back I posted pictures of the PS box on this Pig (but I'll be darned if I can fidn that post!) wonderig what year it was - I had forgotten aboout this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom