Builds fj60 going to EV FJ45 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, here's the coolant system ready to go, except for no radiator yet.

IMG_4849.jpg

going to test it all in a minute. I got the fancy blue G48 coolant.

Not sure what radiator to get, I might just go ahead and get the basic fj40 radiator, since it's cheap and simple, but apparently I only need one the size of an oil cooler or dirt bike radiator.

Also, trying to think through the whole heating and cooling thing. Apparently, under very cold conditions, the tesla batteries are heated to improve their performance. I'm not sure if I need to worry about that. Also, sometimes they can also add in the AC unit to further cool them if the ambient temperature is high. Not sure if I'll need that either.

As to the cab, I was thinking about going with VintageAir. But that expects hot coolant from the radiator. I understand there are water heater options. There are also ceramic heater options for just heating air. But all the heater options consume a HUGE amount of electricity. Some people are using diesel heaters like truckers use. The electric AC compressor will drive the Vintage system directly. So, I'm not sure how to it's all going to work. There is no obvious right solution here.

Also just paid $975 for the adapter and hub that mates the transmission to the Hyper 9 motor. It's on back order, not sure when it will get here.

I was able to run a full charge cycle on the batteries. Next week, with the main control unit back, I should be able to bench test the Hyper 9, make it spin.

Aqualu said there's a delay in shipping frame and body, so it's at least 2 more weeks before they arrive.

Webasto diesel heater for heat?

Yes, the Webasto is what is being used. And yes, theoretically, there's a reversable heat pump that can do heating and cooling. I haven't found one though.

See post 264

Thanks for the link. I had not seen that. Typical Electric GT. Lots of marketing spin, very few details. that's the same compressor I have. And I have a control knob for it, I'll have to find out what it does. They do not mention heat as far as I could tell.

Okay, starting to wire the first Hyper 9 in series, when the first one is working, the second one will slave to the first through can bus. There were a lot of wires in the harness but it turns out I don’t need most of them. There are three for the Prius throttle, two for can bus, two for the massive contactor, one for the key, and one for the clutch. Along with three pairs that are the encoder and temperature sensors for the motor. On top of that of course, are the 2/0 Cables for high-voltage power going into and out of the controller.

The sequence for bringing this thing online is very very specific. But not too onerous. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday I’ll have a little bugger spinning.

A8032B5C-A1BC-4B66-BF73-15476AA626A6.jpeg

Okay, been wrestling with the wiring. Hooked up all the high voltage in more or less the same configuration as it will be in the car (not the final locations, but everything in place) but with 6 volt as I'm waiting for my crimper that can do 2/0 to arrive. Connected in the control module, back from the manufacturer, mis-wired power pins. Wired it and the Hyper 9 controller into the system - and nothing. So back up so I just had the controller, BMS, charger, display, in the system and got Can bus up again and was able to initiate a charge cycle. Connected the Hyper 9 back again - and it turns out Can bus is very sensitive to be run next to 160v power - who'd have known?

With communication to the Hyper 9, was able to update firmware and download the clone file. But, I'm getting an error on encoder wiring. So, I've got to check that out. If I can get that working today, I'm hoping I the Hyper 9 will turn. That would be a major milestone.

Also, the Juice Box fancy charger arrived. There's a bunch of wiring to get all the sensors and interlocks hooked up.

IMG_4866.jpg

Also, drove to Auburn yesterday and picked up axles and link parts. These are the axles that were under my fj60. They were cleaned up and trusses installed. one box of front link parts, one box of rear link parts, and some heavy duty tubing.

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

I'm hoping the frame arrives this coming week. If the Hyper 9 is turning, then I can set the EV part of the project aside for a while and focus on getting the frame resting on the axles.

Spent a few hours fighting an 'undervoltage error on key-switch.' which I thought meant the voltage on the ignition on wire was not good. But, there was another connection supplying high voltage to the controller that needed to be connected (that bypasses the main contactor) - and was not in the step by step instructions for turning the thing on. Because, on this startup process the motor itself remains disconnected until all the bugs are worked out. Clearly, based on all the warnings, someone turned their unit on, in gear, fully powered, and the car took off.

So, with that connected the controller makes a loud snap and hums and I have a green led - yea!!! And, after fiddling with the pins, the prius throttle pedal is working. And I've grounded 'forward' (not going to use reverse, just going to shift the transmission - but I could always wire up forward and reverse switches in the cab if I wanted), so I'm operational. But, my giant crimp tool is not here yet. So, I'm going to jury rig some 6 gauge, instead of the 2/0 gauge that will go in Monday, just to get the motor to spin so I can calibrate the spin sensor.

So, down to the hardware store for six 6 gauge ring terminals.

Okay, got it wired up, turn it on - and the motor spins!!!! which only proves their warning to not have tires on the ground when you do this. But no, wait, that's not good. I'm supposed to calibrate the spin sensor first. s***. So, I disconnected enough power to disable the motor from spinning and had to calibrate the throttle, it just a little off for zero throttle. Then reconnect and attempt to 'commission' the spin sensors - and - the thing vibrates and freaks out. So, let's hope I didn't do any damage to anything. This commission thing is new. It's not in the manual. When you download the profile, it says to on the web page to do it at step 19 b, but it doesn't say what to do to avoid the motor turning on start up. So, documentation is far from perfect.

I have a gif, but it's too big.

Last edited:
Okay, so I checked with Hawkeye, the shaking and shuddering is how it calibrates the spin sensors. So I bolted it down to the plywood and let it run and now it's working, the Hyper 9 is responding to the throttle!

So, lots of odds and ends to do now. Connect the DC to DC convertor to charge the 12v battery, connect the second Hyper 9 to the back (or front?) of the first and get them to run together, cooling plates on the bottom of the Hyper 9 controllers.

And the charger. So, I pulled the cover off my welder outlet, and there's no neutral - lazy bastards. And the plug for the wall charger has 3 prongs. Now, the actual charger has a 20amp 220v plug on it - two prong. So, I'm not sure why the juice box would need the neutral ... So, some more investigating to do. For now, I guess I could just put a 50 amp plug on the charger so I can plug into the welding outlet and wait until the car is done to put the fancy connectors on. Not that I have a problem with 10' of cord and a plug under the bed.

It's a roller. Don't low ball me, I know what I have.

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

A few more day, we'll be done!

heard about it, did not see it.

Okay, the frame and Aqualu body will be here in the next 10 days - hopefully. I'm starting to think about things I need. And one thing I need is a steering column and shafts so that I can have them in place when I set up the 3 link up front. So, I go online and look for them AND STEERING WHEELS ARE $550 TO $1,000???? What is up with that? So, we're not using a 40 steering wheel. I have an early Willys Steering here, I guess I'm going to make that work. But still, need to acquire the column and all the little bits - and there are lots of bits. I want the early one like is in my '66 FJ40 - with the separate rode for the turn signal running down the outside of the column - and suggestions on where to find it?

I've got a grant steering wheel that I like. They're inexpensive, but have a great feel.

Can you send picture or part number?

Thanks for the pic. That's too modern for me. I want old timey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom