Builds fj60 going to EV FJ45 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

really? That's interesting. I'll look into that. Hadn't considered it.

I mean, based on your stated goals (around town, Ice house Rd and Rubicon) I would just suggest 55" or 63" GM leaf springs out back and a set of good custom valved shocks :meh:

Not only is it proven to work well, only take like an hour to set up, it would also be almost zero maintenance as well - which would be good especially as you're going to have enough on your hands with the EV stuff

So, EV stuff has started arriving. Giant battery charger, Battery management system, and ... Tesla batteries and Hyper 9 motors - I won't say how much these 4 boxes cost.

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

How much do those four boxes cost?

Those tesla battery arrays are between 1200 and 1500 each depending on the source model, and I see at least 7, so safe to say a lot of money. Absolutely the highest quality battery arrays you can buy though.

Wow! Subscribed.

Why use a transmission? If you use a Tesla dual motor set up you would only have to work on the axles. Trust me, there is a bunch of torque available.

The transmission serves as a safety disconnect in the event something goes wrong. It also is an an easy way to mate to the transfer case. There are adapters for many bellhousings.

Will those motors need protection from water ingress? Was looking at using them myself on a project but think something sealed would be better now.

They should be IP67 rated (at least).

Here's progress on my battery box. First attempt failed, this attempt looks like it will work and should just fit between the frame rails on a cross member I'll build later. Biggest problem was/is getting the nuts on and tight in the enclosed space. So, I had to build a custom tool. Unit holds 8 but the Hyper 9's can only handle 7, so there will be one empty. My math says the entire thing will weigh 600 lbs when done. We'll have to lift it in with a tractor.

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

600 lbs of fun. And now, take all the green circuit boards off, they are proprietary to Tesla (and not intended to be easily removable). Replaced with generic boards that will mate up to the Orion 2 battery management system - which integrates with the giant battery charger, the DC to DC converter, and the System Control Module. Hopefully it is more of a plug and play kind of thing. But we'll see.

On the other end of the batteries is the cooling, for which I have to construct a custom manifold of 3/8 heater hose - 7 inlets, 7 outlets.

IMG_4746.jpg

Post up links for where you got the tesla packs, and which BMS interface boards you're putting in.

@J Mack check this out

I got almost all of the stuff (batteries, charger, DC to DC converter, BMS, and SCM) from Hawkeye innovations in texas. Young kid named Adam. He's very eager and I'm hoping he knows what he's doing.

The cell tap boards are from

and in theory they work with the Orion 2 BMS and the SCM.

Charger and DC to DC converter are Elcon

Okay, the meats have arrived. 39" KM3's

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

now we just need the axles back with trusses on them so we can look at ride height.

Poll. Pick your ideal distance to BOTTOM of frame

1. 18"
2. 20"
3. 22"
4. 24"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom