FJ60 Distributor Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO installed a FJ60 dizzy in my '77. I'm in the process of cleaning it up. I partially disassembled it and noticed the bearing plate only moves a few degrees. I've got the bearing plate out of the body. It looks pretty corroded. The attached pics is from another distributor for reference. (My phone was dead this evening while working on it so I couldn't get a pic...)

Should the bearing plate center rotate more than a few degrees when it is removed from the distributor?

What should I use to clean and to lube the ball bearings?

Thanks

bearing plate.JPG

bearing plate 1.JPG

bearing plate.JPG

Are the races pitted? Do the ball bearings have flattened spots? The breaker plate should rotate 360 degrees with little to no resistance, even though the actual maximum amount of movement needed is about 4mm (slightly over 10 degrees distributor advance). You don't want it to bind up when the advancer is trying to advance the timing.

I recently refurbished an FJ60 breaker plate that had some pitting in the races. I was able to smooth out the edges of the pitted areas a bit by using a couple of small files with slightly rounded blunt ends. I installed 46 new ball bearings I harvested from earlier Toyota points distributor breaker plates (the older breaker plates use 50 ball bearings because the OD of the breaker plate is greater - therefore larger circumference of the races). After I harvest the ball bearings I remove the old grease by placing them in a small glass jar, spraying in some carburetor/throttle body cleaner, and shaking it for a bit. Then I dab up the excess with a small piece of paper towel. I use old school distributor grease (cam lubricant) during reassembly.

Are the races pitted? Do the ball bearings have flattened spots? The breaker plate should rotate 360 degrees with little to no resistance, even though the actual maximum amount of movement needed is about 4mm (slightly over 10 degrees distributor advance). You don't want it to bind up when the advancer is trying to advance the timing.

I recently refurbished an FJ60 breaker plate that had some pitting in the races. I was able to smooth out the edges of the pitted areas a bit by using a couple of small files with slightly rounded blunt ends. I installed 46 new ball bearings I harvested from earlier Toyota points distributor breaker plates (the older breaker plates use 50 ball bearings because the OD of the breaker plate is greater - therefore larger circumference of the races). After I harvest the ball bearings I remove the old grease by placing them in a small glass jar, spraying in some carburetor/throttle body cleaner, and shaking it for a bit. Then I dab up the excess with a small piece of paper towel. I use old school distributor grease (cam lubricant) during reassembly.
4Cruisers,
Thanks for a detailed response. Does the breaker plate separate from the outer ring easily?

4Cruisers,
Thanks for a detailed response. Does the breaker plate separate from the outer ring easily?
It's really simple. I use an X-Acto knife with a broken off tip to pry off the four spring metal clips one at a time. The assembly all comes apart, including the 46 ball bearings, so do it over a shallow container to catch everything.

It's really simple. I use an X-Acto knife with a broken off tip to pry off the four spring metal clips one at a time. The assembly all comes apart, including the 46 ball bearings, so do it over a shallow container to catch everything.
Perfect, thanks!

I just did this with @4Cruisers advice. I used a tiny flat blade screwdriver. Going back together took a little effort but I was in fear of having it slip and itty bitty bearings flying all over 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom